Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
People thought that Playstation was doomed during the PS3 era as well. It may suck for a while, but I think Playstation will endure this. They just have to get to work and remind people how they became so dominant in the first place.
It was doomed, we just didn't fully understood how much MS was bad at this console businesses. The moves Sony made during the PS3 comeback and the mistakes MS made in the second half of that gen are what ended up setting up the PS4 and PS5 to be so dominant.

Can Sony afford to assume MS would throw it all away again if they get another opportunity? MS just paid $80B to get back on the table.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It was doomed, we just didn't fully understood how much MS was bad at this console businesses. The moves Sony made during the PS3 comeback and the mistakes MS made in the second half of that gen are what ended up setting up the PS4 and PS5 to be so dominant.

Can Sony afford to assume MS would throw it all away again if they get another opportunity? MS just paid $80B to get back on the table.
What makes you think they are? It's far too early to say what Sony will or won't do in response to this as things like that don't happen overnight. You guys are letting this news and the subsequent trolling from the Xbox side freak you out and make you give up way too easily.

D

Deleted member 417

What makes you think they are? It's far too early to say what Sony will or won't do in response to this as things like that don't happen overnight. You guys are letting this news and the subsequent trolling from the Xbox side freak you out and make you give up way too easily.
And people keep ignoring VR. IF that takes off or becomes a half-decent revenue stream, how can Microsoft counter it?

If Sony drop a PS5Pro and VR2pro if/when VR picks up, what will Microsoft do? Microsoft fail to compete because they're too busy trying to win fights of the past, rather than looking forward.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm not the one saying Sony shouldn't do anything and should just assume MS will fuck it up again. You should be saying that to the other guy.

How is MS buying Bethesda, Activision and Blizzard trolling?

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nothing you said had anything to do with what I said.

Ok, then putting your ass on ignore then.

You literally talk in absolutes and just like me are guessing as to what those prospective MP/GAAS titles Sony has cooking in terms of revenue/profit margins will bring in.

COD makes them a shit ton of money for sure, and there is less overhead since its not 1st party. You have no clue though same as I on what Bungie makes next if its going to bring in a good amount of cash, or Firesprite, or Deviation Games.

And originally I was talking to @Yurinka not you so..........

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Ok, then putting your ass on ignore then.

You literally talk in absolutes and just like me are guessing as to what those prospective MP/GAAS titles Sony has cooking in terms of revenue/profit margins will bring in.

COD makes them a shit ton of money for sure, and there is less overhead since its not 1st party. You have no clue though same as I on what Bungie makes next if its going to bring in a good amount of cash, or Firesprite, or Deviation Games.

And originally I was talking to @Yurinka not you so..........
I'll try to help you out here. Put it as simple as I can

would you rather spend 1 billion to make 3 billion?
or
get 30% of 3 billion for free?

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

or

I would rather, they not be dependent on one title to bring in money. Sony has not invested in anything substantial when it comes to online titles with Renewable revenue outside of MLB the show, GT series.

Thats on them. Hence why recently in past couple years they have so many GAAS titles in development. Also Sony is not bloated like ubisoft or Activision/Blizzard. They literally made Forbidden west for less than New Saints Row.
So no, not every title the produce is bloated like Naughty Dog's development pipeline.

I would rather they create new titles that bring in money and help project them to not being reliant on something like COD.
Putting you back on ignore as your dismissle of my responses makes me not want to respond to you, and for the record you started the dumb engagment not me.
I was literally talking to someone else and of course Kylie needs to let people know their responses are stupid as you seem to know so much more than most here you dont need me engaging with you..

see ya.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
I would rather, they not be dependent on one title to bring in money. Sony has not invested in anything substantial when it comes to online titles with Renewable revenue outside of MLB the show, GT series.

Thats on them. Hence why recently in past couple years they have so many GAAS titles in development. Also Sony is not bloated like ubisoft or Activision/Blizzard. They literally made Forbidden west for less than New Saints Row.
So no, not every title the produce is bloated like Naughty Dog's development pipeline.

I would rather they create new titles that bring in money and help project them to not being reliant on something like COD.
Putting you back on ignore as your dismissle of my responses makes me not want to respond to you, and for the record you started the dumb engagment not me.
I was literally talking to someone else and of course Kylie needs to let people know their responses are stupid as you seem to know so much more than most here you dont need me engaging with you..

see ya.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but you seem mad

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Kylie Jenner Reaction GIF by E!

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I have no idea what you're talking about, but you seem mad

Read you're reply to me, I was talking to @Yurinka.

out of no where you tell me like what I said has no bearing in this thread:

Nope. 1st party games can't replace 3rd party game revenue.

Sony has to pay to make 1st party games, unlike Call of Duty.

Its like if you and your wife make 100k/year combined. Then you get divorced, so you get a second job and now make the same 100k/year without your ex-wife's income. Except you now work two fucking jobs. Same income, higher cost. Not the same.

Even if Sony someday gets the same consistent, very large, yearly revenue as they get now from CoD, they'll still have to spend billions and hire another 1000+ people. Where as right now Sony gets it all for basically free, with no risk, while Activision makes the games, spends all the money, and takes all the risk

You also are glossing over Sony's development pipelines that they have which are some of the most effecient at the moment outside of bloated projects like Last of us part 2.

You dismissed me as though you have some kind of insight 100% on how this will play out. Sony survived PS3 era where third party titles were preferred on xbox.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
The agreement with Sony states that ALL future Bungie titles should all be multiplatform? As in Xbox multiplatform?

Does the acquisition agreement make any distinction to the number of platforms that this requirement must satiate? Does it specify which? Can it just be PC and PS for example? We all know Nintendo isn't covered so there is caveat there already.

I would very much like to see that agreement if any of you have the link for that specific clause. Suspect me likes to verify before trust. Word of mouth and "interpretations of media interviews" can be wrong you see.

No platforms were announced, number etc. Just usual Bungie have free will to publish where they want. It can mean bunch of things. It can mean ps5, pc, switch and no xbox. It can include xbox.
Sony now owns Destiny ip along with e wry future ip they make. Havent seen about profits but sony probably gets that also.
Destiny make 200 to 400 million per year.
Sony wont mingle with Bungie decisions what games they make. They ll make probably destiny show or movies etc.

Bungie management wont stay the same forever and sony can later put their people thus affectng decisions. Whats important s they own them. And they ll want to keep talented devs.

Any1 who thinks they paid almost 4B so Bungie can do whatever they want s delusional.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I'm not the one saying Sony shouldn't do anything and should just assume MS will fuck it up again. You should be saying that to the other guy.

How is MS buying Bethesda, Activision and Blizzard trolling?
The trolling I'm referring to is by Xbox fanboys, that should have been obvious from my post, lmao.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Read you're reply to me, I was talking to @Yurinka.

out of no where you tell me like what I said has no bearing in this thread:

You also are glossing over Sony's development pipelines that they have which are some of the most effecient at the moment outside of bloated projects like Last of us part 2.

You dismissed me as though you have some kind of insight 100% on how this will play out. Sony survived PS3 era where third party titles were preferred on xbox.
Again, it does not appear as though you understand what I said.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
The agreement with Sony states that ALL future Bungie titles should all be multiplatform? As in Xbox multiplatform?

Does the acquisition agreement make any distinction to the number of platforms that this requirement must satiate? Does it specify which? Can it just be PC and PS for example? We all know Nintendo isn't covered so there is caveat there already.

I would very much like to see that agreement if any of you have the link for that specific clause. Suspect me likes to verify before trust. Word of mouth and "interpretations of media interviews" can be wrong you see.
The agreement with Bungie is that they are an independent (of PlayStation) self publishing entity with their own management team. They will likely have their games on as many platforms as can run it. It will be on Xbox, PC, Nintendo... If Stadia still existed it would be on that too.

Changes to that would basically need interference from Sony, basically telling them what to do, firing board members if they don't comply etc. Which I can't see happening.

They may come to an understanding though that Sony needs to leverage Bungie games if COD is removed from PS at some point in 10 years.

I don't see Bungie being more married to needing the next Destiny and their new IP on Xbox over a good relationship and ensuring the financial health of their parent company.

There's always soft negotiation tactics too, pay increases/share options/bonuses for Bungie decision makers. Greenlighting their TV show to be on HBO. Agreeing to that funding increase they asked for.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

or
Definitely the former, which is basically Nintendo. They are their own money maker and can only blame themselves when it goes wrong. That should be Sony's goal because there is a clear risk in the 3rd party strategy now we see how quickly they can be bought up

Reactions: Papacheeks