PlayStation VR2 launches in February 22, 2023 for $549.99

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I mean the headline figure of ~£1,000 for a PS5/PSVR2 package does seem daunting. But like you say, the tech in this is highly impressive, and PS5 is going to be around for another six years+ realistically.

Right now there are people paying more for GPUs, monitors (me included), TVs, etc, and paying £150 - £180 for Pro controllers.

The market is there and will flourish gradually as long as content like Resident Evil and Firewall continue to be released, and Sony maintain support from their studios like Firesprite.

Exactly, and that's a very fair and realistic take on how things will play out for the peripheral. The price will come down over time for the headset and that opens up the device for more customers just as more titles will be available by that time.

Personally the only thing I am miffed about is the potential that it won't be compatible with PC. Not because I want or need PSVR2 software on PC, it just would've been neat to have a single headset for both platforms. Use it for PS5 for PSVR2 games, use it on PC for PC VR games.

Oh well. That's not really a big issue through in the grand scheme of things.

Like I said it's all relative, PC is an expensive platform, people expect things to be expensive. Expensive is the antithesis of console gaming therefore an expensive headset relative to it stands out... negatively...

You might be banned but you're probably still lurking so I just have this to say...

Console gaming has ALWAYS costed money. Hardcore PC gaming has always costed money, but console gaming is not that far behind, historically speaking. Cartridges costing upwards $70/$80 new. No cheaper indies market (budget-style console releases didn't even really start happening until the 5th generation), a wider amount of games needing certain peripherals to play them (DDR, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, DJ Hero etc.), so on and so forth.

Unless you went to the arcade regularly and were really good at the games you played there, gaming in general has always been a somewhat expensive hobby historically, including on the console side. Stuff like rental stores alleviated that somewhat, but not completely. Yet in spite of that, the industry has continuously grown in number of players over the years, as well as amount of revenue and profit.

Another thing worth mentioning too is, a console or peripheral doesn't fail simply because it's "expensive". It's the combination of it being expensive AND not providing enough value relative to the expense (perceived value by the majority of customers) why such things end up failing. It's also why something being super-cheap doesn't always light the charts on fire: if the value perception is not there for the customer, it doesn't matter how cheap it is. The item simply will not sell.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
First of all papa, your friends really aren't a representative sample of the population for one reason or another, thus this piece of info tells me nada. I hope you at least understand that.

Secondly, i really, really really want you to try to remail calm, none of us are going to make money of these conversations, no need to be so strong in your beliefs or come at me hard about what i think is gonna happen in the future about a piece of plastic around a screen.
sure dude,time will tell,and time tends to be a bitch to delusional people so good luck
btw keep your tips for you

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Exactly, and that's a very fair and realistic take on how things will play out for the peripheral. The price will come down over time for the headset and that opens up the device for more customers just as more titles will be available by that time.

Personally the only thing I am miffed about is the potential that it won't be compatible with PC. Not because I want or need PSVR2 software on PC, it just would've been neat to have a single headset for both platforms. Use it for PS5 for PSVR2 games, use it on PC for PC VR games.

Oh well. That's not really a big issue through in the grand scheme of things.
I would have thought they would make it compatible with PC - given their recent pivot it would seem strange if they didn't. As you say it would be a massive benefit for people like us who use both platforms. Anyway let's see what they say.

The whole corded thing alongside price is the other thing that some people don't like, but I think I prefer that to having a shitty battery life. Again the new Quest Pro looks like it lasts two hours (!), and that the Meta guys were bullshitting about how long it lasts. Maybe OK for an AR device used in offices, but not for gaming!

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
I would have thought they would make it compatible with PC - given their recent pivot it would seem strange if they didn't. As you say it would be a massive benefit for people like us who use both platforms. Anyway let's see what they say.

The whole corded thing alongside price is the other thing that some people don't like, but I think I prefer that to having a shitty battery life. Again the new Quest Pro looks like it lasts two hours (!), and that the Meta guys were bullshitting about how long it lasts. Maybe OK for an AR device used in offices, but not for gaming!
They're taking a loss on this so of course they want people to buy a ps5 so they can buy all the games from ps store or directly from them to make up for the losses. They dont make anything from third party games being sold on other storefronts

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
They said it previously, but also that many of them are getting ported for free.
Yeah I think I missed the original memo on that.

Disappointing.

Wild guess.. but I wouldn't be shocked if my VR games saved off from my PS+ account won't be upgradable with those "free" patches due to how Sony has wonky things going on with different SKUs.

I suppose they likely won't be too expensive, but it's nice just to have a bunch of things to try w/o having to fork over extra money. I don't use my PS+ account for online, so it's basically a subcription download service for me. And a pretty damn good one, as PS+ has some solid ass games even on the essential tier.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Yeah I think I missed the original memo on that.

Disappointing.

Wild guess.. but I wouldn't be shocked if my VR games saved off from my PS+ account won't be upgradable with those "free" patches due to how Sony has wonky things going on with different SKUs.

I suppose they likely won't be too expensive, but it's nice just to have a bunch of things to try w/o having to fork over extra money. I don't use my PS+ account for online, so it's basically a subcription download service for me. And a pretty damn good one, as PS+ has some solid ass games even on the essential tier.
I'm in the same situation and with the same "fears"... I missed Moss and Astro, as I didn't have PSVR, so these two are my most anticipated games for PSVR2 together with Horizon.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Well, in addition to battery there's the visuals and latency. As of today a 100% standalone headset isn't able to have anything close to PS5 horsepower so games would look way worse, nothing like we saw in Horizon CoM or RE Village. And well, if made 100% standalone with PS5 like visuals would be insanely way more expensive.

And regarding streaming from PS5 wireless, not sure if there is a wireless solution right now that could stream steady 4K at 120fps (or was before the PS5 release to introduce it on it).

I'm in the same situation and with the same "fears"... I missed Moss and Astro, as I didn't have PSVR, so these two are my most anticipated games for PSVR2 together with Horizon.
Moss 2 is confirmed to be coming to PSVR2.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
They're taking a loss on this so of course they want people to buy a ps5 so they can buy all the games from ps store or directly from them to make up for the losses. They dont make anything from third party games being sold on other storefronts
Yeah but that same argument can be made for PS5 games too.

Of they're investing in more VR studios maybe they think they can make a fair bit from PC players aswell. Some people just won't move from PC.
Well, in addition to battery there's the visuals and latency. As of today a 100% standalone headset isn't able to have anything close to PS5 horsepower so games would look way worse, nothing like we saw in Horizon CoM or RE Village. And well, if made 100% standalone with PS5 like visuals would be insanely way more expensive.

And regarding streaming from PS5 wireless, not sure if there is a wireless solution right now that could stream steady 4K at 120fps (or was before the PS5 release to introduce it on it).

Moss 2 is confirmed to be coming to PSVR2.
Yeah, again different target audience, but some of that Meta stuff looks really basic. The processing power of a closed box environment like PS5 is miles ahead, then combine that with content from Sony, Capcom, Valve et Al and you're getting visuals far ahead of what another company might do with a standalone.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Guess they could've put a battery in there and still default to a tethered connection, that way while tethered you charge the battery. And battery life would probably be better on PSVR2 because it doesn't have a smartphone basically built into it like the Quest Pro does.

But production costs would've likely gone up, and they maybe would've needed more wireless hardware built into the headset, affecting the weight distribution and all that, and we'd probably be looking at a $599 base model instead of $549. So I can understand the reasoning.

When you put it that way it makes a lot more sense why it wouldn't be PC-compatible. I was just thinking in terms of it as a device that VR games on PC could use similar to how you can use a DualSense as a controller input for games on PC. But with PSVR2 the controllers seem as much of a part of the package as the headset and PC compatibility in THIS case would probably drive down PS5 adaption for the PSVR2.

So for business reasons I can understand. Even so, some people out there will probably try hacking a way to force PSVR2 compatibility with PC, it may just be limited compared to the functionality you'd get with it on a PS5. And even if they do that, the game devs would still need to implement support of their own with whatever ad-hoc solutions to force compatibility are done on PC.

Reactions: Hezekiah

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
$549.99 aint shit to RE4-Station
however I don't plan on picking this up next year, maybe 2024

Reactions: TubzGaming

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
$549.99 aint shit to RE4-Station
however I don't plan on picking this up next year, maybe 2024
I have the feeling I will a lot if not buy it at launch.
Plus I’m holding Village to play in VR.

And just to add a bit more fire I believe REmake 4 will have a VR mode where you can play it fully… it will announced after release so I will hold to play REmake 4 at launch.

RE4-City

4 Resident Evil
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I have the feeling I will a lot if not buy it at launch.
Plus I’m holding Village to play in VR.

And just to add a bit more fire I believe REmake 4 will have a VR mode where you can play it fully… it will announced after release so I will hold to play REmake 4 at launch.
I was hoping really bad it would of been this year, My family got a PS2 for Christmas of 2002 but will pick up a PS2 slim for Christmas this year instead of a PSVR 2.

• fire
Reactions: ethomaz

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Damn I forgot all about my Sony registration but saw a post on gaf and just went to my email. Guess what!? I got to pre-order easily via Sony and in the U. S. With tax it came out to $598.00.

I'll be there day one guys so I'll post my own review when time comes.