PlayStation VR2 launches in February 22, 2023 for $549.99

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's a good proposition if it has dual functionality, but it's really hard to justify that much money for this just to function on a PlayStation 5 and not a PC as well. If it works on both I would say $550 is fine, but given the console market itself and the general expectation of cost that's just too much regardless of specifications.

How so? A PC capable of playing VR games properly will cost way over a PS5. So you have a higher entrance fee + higher gear price on top. I get that the expectation of cost in consoles is different, but it's not like VR headsets are not a niche thing anyway. It's just about selling as much as you can inside that niche.

So: Valve Index + PC = More expensive than a PS5 + PSVR 2. Probably twice as expensive if not more if you want "fidelity" parity between then.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PlayStation VR only sold 6 million over the entire course of its life. What makes you think this is going to sell out 2 million instantly on a console with half the numbers that one had at the time which also costs at minimum $150 more while the entire planet is suffering under crushing inflation...

Lmao
Sony plans.
Not instantly but at launch.

And yes like PSVR it will be almost impossible to find one near launch.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I'm kinda laughing at how 90% of the posts in the ResetERA thread are literally people crying about the price. Like, what TF did you expect? PSVR2 & PS5 combined still cost LESS than the new Meta VR headset, and combined have objectively better processing power (PS5 > whatever Snapdragon specs are in the new Meta headset) and at least comparable VR build quality.

Quality costs money. If you want cheapo supremo, look elsewhere. This hobby's always commanded a bit more money on average than most others, I'm just tired of supposedly grown-ass adults crying about supposedly unfair pricing as if they don't understand how economics, supply & demand work in the real world (maybe they don't know 🤷‍♀️).

Oh well. Mini-rant over 🤣
I mean the headline figure of ~£1,000 for a PS5/PSVR2 package does seem daunting. But like you say, the tech in this is highly impressive, and PS5 is going to be around for another six years+ realistically.

Right now there are people paying more for GPUs, monitors (me included), TVs, etc, and paying £150 - £180 for Pro controllers.

The market is there and will flourish gradually as long as content like Resident Evil and Firewall continue to be released, and Sony maintain support from their studios like Firesprite.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
How so? A PC capable of playing VR games properly will cost way over a PS5. So you have a higher entrance fee + higher gear price on top. I get that the expectation of cost in consoles is different, but it's not like VR headsets are not a niche thing anyway. It's just about selling as much as you can inside that niche.

So: Valve Index + PC = More expensive than a PS5 + PSVR 2. Probably twice as expensive if not more if you want "fidelity" parity between then.
Even though the majority of PC gamers don't spend a massive amount of money on their hardware, the ones who do which goes well into the tens and tens of millions are willing to fork over a lot more money for their experience than a console gamer.

It's just honestly kind of shocking that the VR headset is more expensive than the console itself. It's all relative, and relatively speaking that's a very tough ask if it only works for that console.

I get behind it if it could be used in multiple ways but that is still yet to be seen.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Even though the majority of PC gamers don't spend a massive amount of money on their hardware, the ones who do which goes well into the tens and tens of millions are willing to fork over a lot more money for their experience than a console gamer.

It's just honestly kind of shocking that the VR headset is more expensive than the console itself. It's all relative, and relatively speaking that's a very tough ask if it only works for that console.

I get behind it if it could be used in multiple ways but that is still yet to be seen.

For you to have a PC that can play VR games at a decent (not good) standard you have to fork over 1k for the desktop alone.

So relatively speaking, a headset that works on PC + the actual PC is way more expensive than a headset that works on PS5 + the console itself.

I'd argue that the Index is a way bigger ask because one would have to fork over 2k just to have a decent PC + VR headset, and it only works on PC.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
For you to have a PC that can play VR games at a decent (not good) standard you have to fork over 1k for the desktop alone.

So relatively speaking, a headset that works on PC + the actual PC is way more expensive than a headset that works on PS5 + the console itself.

I'd argue that the Index is a way bigger ask because one would have to fork over 2k just to have a decent PC + VR headset, and it only works on PC.
Like I said it's all relative, PC is an expensive platform, people expect things to be expensive. Expensive is the antithesis of console gaming therefore an expensive headset relative to it stands out... negatively...

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
With Index you're probably looking at £3,000 all in. Sure you can do more with a PC, but that's a shit ton of cash if you're primarily a gamer.

If you have a different use case you have the Quest Pro which currently doesn't have a great number of apps, and from technical point of view is lower resolution, is 90hz, and isn't even OLED. And it's $1,500 for its all-in-one processing. Different area of focus obviously, and I'm sure Zuckerberg will say it's the future, but it puts the technology and price of PSVR2 into perspective.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yeap PSVR2 offer in terms of hardware more than PC options that costs > $1000.

That means Sony is subsiding part of the cost of hardware.

But that was expected since they reveled the specs.

Reactions: Umar and Hezekiah

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
It's gonna flop hard, ONLY if there's no software. If there's no selling point, it's not gonna have a high attach rate. It needs software. Every device manufacturer knows this, which is why VR games will never sell as good as pancake games. Everyone can see this from sales.
600$, and games don't look that exciting and super original. I'll be very surprise if this will sell super well. But we'll see.

D

Deleted member 51

600$, and games don't look that exciting and super original. I'll be very surprise if this will sell super well. But we'll see.
Give it time bro. It'll sell good, and this is coming from a "supposed PC fanboy". Just needs software

• thinking_hard
Reactions: SSfox

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Give it time bro. It'll sell good, and this is coming from a "supposed PC fanboy". Just needs software
I don't know man, they just kind of PS3'd themselves with this. When my legitimate first reaction was to wince when seeing the price there's a problem.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
I am not sure for your reasoning, for constantly shitting on PC.

Oh man, i'm so gonna love our talks...

I love shitting on this immersion breaking, high maintenance, gaming ruiners pieces of tiny dick compensators you call PC. I love shitting on the so much that i might be a lil sad when Sony releases the windows drivers for PSVR2. So what ?

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I'm willing to place a bet. My guess is that this will sell like hotcakes and not be in shelves for a long time. I'll give you 1 month of IconEra+. what do you say? I don't ask for anything in return, so you can't lose.
of course it will sell the first batch..vita did the same,its the long run that matters and this is is gonna flop so hard its gonna destroy any chances of console vr being something

people who are comparing this to oculus quest pro are just plain stupid

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
of course it will sell the first batch..vita did the same,its the long run that matters and this is is gonna flop so hard its gonna destroy any chances of console vr being something

people who are comparing this to oculus quest pro are just plain stupid

Ok, what's the goal for our bet then? See you in a year when it's been super successful?

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Don’t care about personal expense, but the proposal here may prohibit mass adoption. PlayStation is a consumer device, not an enthusiast Vive and as such should be priced accordingly - Sony needs to eat more on the cost. Why is Halflife not ready for day 1?

🧐🤔

kaluas

3 Oct 2022

Pay attention for a while mate. PS games came to PC. Dual Sense came to PC. This headset is going to come to PC. And at this price it's going to sell nicely. Demand for VR on PS is kinda anelastic, even if it sounds kinda against what it is. It is a niche little market, majority of whoever early adopter planned on buying it will not be set back by the price. Others will wait for the first discount or game bundle.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Pay attention for a while mate. PS games came to PC. Dual Sense came to PC. This headset is going to come to PC. And at this price it's going to sell nicely. Demand for VR on PS is kinda anelastic, even if it sounds kinda against what it is. It is a niche little market, majority of whoever early adopter planned on buying it will not be set back by the price. Others will wait for the first discount or game bundle.
son,i have a piece of the moon to sell to you if you think this thing is gonna sell well on europe at 600 after the first early adopters,and europe its playstation land,none of my friends who buyed the psvr on launch day will get this,and im talking about 20 or 30 playstation hardcore fans and early adopters,so go figure

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
son,i have a piece of the moon to sell to you if you think this thing is gonna sell well on europe at 600 after the first early adopters,and europe its playstation land,none of my friends who buyed the psvr on launch day will get this,and im talking about 20 or 30 playstation hardcore fans and early adopters,so go figure

First of all papa, your friends really aren't a representative sample of the population for one reason or another, thus this piece of info tells me nada. I hope you at least understand that.

Secondly, i really, really really want you to try to remail calm, none of us are going to make money of these conversations, no need to be so strong in your beliefs or come at me hard about what i think is gonna happen in the future about a piece of plastic around a screen.

25 Jul 2022
Can see why for many its gone from impulse buy to I'll wait and see to strong hard no. Its more than I expected for sure (no more than the price of the console) but I'm still buying it day one because I'm really excited by the hardware itself and its potential for gaming (something I thought the original PSVR lacked).

When compared to other headsets with similar features (eye tracking) its very reasonably priced, but high for a traditional console accessory. Doubt PSVR2 will bomb though, we've seen with PS5 how people are willing to pay absurd amounts to scalpers or overpriced bundles if the right games and promise of future content is there.

Full GT7 VR compatibility will help move headsets in Europe, a AAA shooter like MWII or HL Alyx would help shift units in the US.
Non of the 11 games announced yesterday will move the needle it needs big AAA games and positive word of mouth when PSVR 2 releases.

Fingers crossed for a not too distant future showcase.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Can see why for many its gone from impulse buy to I'll wait and see to strong hard no. Its more than I expected for sure (no more than the price of the console) but I'm still buying it day one because I'm really excited by the hardware itself and its potential for gaming (something I thought the original PSVR lacked).

When compared to other headsets with similar features (eye tracking) its very reasonably priced, but high for a traditional console accessory. Doubt PSVR2 will bomb though, we've seen with PS5 how people are willing to pay absurd amounts to scalpers or overpriced bundles if the right games and promise of future content is there.

Full GT7 VR compatibility will help move headsets in Europe, a AAA shooter like MWII or HL Alyx would help shift units in the US.
Non of the 11 games announced yesterday will move the needle it needs big AAA games and positive word of mouth when PSVR 2 releases.

Fingers crossed for a not too distant future showcase.
We have to remember that PSVR2 doesn't need to buy separatedly controllers, camera or sensors as happens in other devices.

PSVR1 needed separate purchase of the camera and controllers. Combining everything it was more expensive that the cost of PSVR2, specially if we add inflation on top.
Why is Halflife not ready for day 1?

🧐🤔
Maybe Alyx isn't ready for day one on PSVR2 for the same reason that Mario Odyssey 2 isn't ready on PSVR2 for day 1. Valve has their own device and may want to keep it exclusive for their platform.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss