Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
pyCGrzg.png

source

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just want Rise of the Ronin 2, seamless open world coop added. Would be one of the best coop games ever made honestly.
So this seems to confirm that it isn't going to be just the indies booth Sony had since 2020. Seems that in addition to the indie stuff they'll have their own booth.

Would be a good time to announce Ghost 2 and have it in TGS as well
I'd say it's too early. They released GoTDC 3 years ago, GoT Legends 3.5 years ago and GoT 4 years ago. I'd say they'll show it in 2025 or 2026, closer to release.

I'd say the only thing they could show now if they announce it in 2024 (which I don't bet on it) would be a logo teaser, maybe with a short (maybe cg) cinematic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
So this seems to confirm that it isn't going to be just the indies booth Sony had since 2020. Seems that in addition to the indie stuff they'll have their own booth.

There’s gonna be a big proper exhibition rea and the family booth will probably have stuff like Astro Bot and Lego to play

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I just want Rise of the Ronin 2, seamless open world coop added. Would be one of the best coop games ever made honestly.

We need to remember that Ronin is a Playstation published game with the PlayStation intro reel n all.

So, if we take previous comments about acquisitions based on fostering partnerships on some level over the years… I honestly and truly believe Tecmo Koei acquisition is likely and the next major purchase I expect Sony to make in the game sector.

They’ve proven to be valuable for action, fighters and rpg and with a grasp on the desires of modern gamers and chunky souls combat.

Team Ninja with a Sony budget and management would be masterclass pedigree. I’m still playing Ronin and what its lacking Sony can provide.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
With Sony and Square pulling back on their partnerships due to underperforming mainline FF games I’m expecting Sony to work closer with Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo now.

What are you talking about? None of this is happening. The FF16 and FF Rebirth have sold more than fine. Since when is 3M in a few days underperforming?

I really really hate when people listen to FUD narratives online and run with it.

There’s been no announcement of Sony and Square Enix not working together anymore.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
What are you talking about? None of this is happening. The FF16 and FF Rebirth have sold more than fine. Since when is 3M in a few days underperforming?

I really really hate when people listen to FUD narratives online and run with it.

There’s been no announcement of Sony and Square Enix not working together anymore.
That kid has been crying about FF16 since day 1. It lives rent free in his head and he can never stop hating on it. It’s like the game slept with his mom or something 😂

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: On Demand

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Square has flat out said these things and to act like they didn’t is to feign ignorance. Ff16 might reach long term projections and FF7 has not met launch expectations. It’s also to scale and they were undoubtedly expensive to make.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Square has flat out said these things and to act like they didn’t is to feign ignorance. Ff16 might reach long term projections and FF7 has not met launch expectations. It’s also to scale and they were undoubtedly expensive to make.

Can you post a source to where they literally said both games sales were bad? Not interpreted that way by someone’s opinion. The ceo or developers saying sales needed to be better.

Because the last I checked, during their financial period they made money from FF16 and FF Rebirth. Square Enix even announced when FF16 sold 3M copies. That doesn’t look like disappointment to me. Especially with Sony’s partnership lessening the cost of the games for Square Enix.

Yes FF Rebirth did not sell as much in the same timeframe as FF Remake. There could be a bunch of reasons why. Smaller installed base, sequel to a massive trilogy, people didn’t like the first part’s story, marketing, released in a crowded market of other games, released too soon close to FF16. That doesn’t mean it didn’t sell enough to make Square Enix money. It at least cleared 2M which is more than what a lot of multi platform games sell.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Is this where they finally reveal their 30 year anniversary plans for PlayStation?

Good chance. They'll likely already have announced the PS5 Pro at this point and its as good a time as any to unveil the PS5 Anniversary Classic Edition, plates, and controllers.

What I think is interesting though is that the 25th anniversary of the PS2 is also right around the corner. So hopefully we see grey peripherals released for December and black peripherals (with the correct color scheme) for March.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Some people here are deluded enough to believe that square enix was an actual 2nd party company dedicated to SIE and that they were only days away from being outright acquired by PlayStation so you have to take their hyperbole with a grain of salt when they announce they aren’t JUST making playstation games now.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Haa! It's like I said, that Jim Ryan was the cause for not attending the Tokyo Games Show all these years. Finally Jim Ryan's era is dead!

I love this is how people's minds work. You're the same type of people that say Sony is doing games like Astrobot now because Jim Ryan is gone, without realizing the game was greenlit on his watch.

The marketing plans for TGS have probably been in the works for over a year. As they'll push Astrobot, PS5 Pro, FF16 Pro Edition, FF7 Rebirth Pro edition, and probably the anniversary edition PS5. Maybe even some additional info on Ghost of Tsushima 2, though based on the timing I'd expect that at a showcase at least as a teaser in earlier September for a PS Showcase.

But yeah, people like you post things like this showing you've never worked in corporate settings, that you think they planned to go to TGS since just April and this is a change in policy.

Jim Ryan isn't the boogey man you want to make him out to be.

• haha
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Some people here are deluded enough to believe that square enix was an actual 2nd party company dedicated to SIE and that they were only days away from being outright acquired by PlayStation so you have to take their hyperbole with a grain of salt when they announce they aren’t JUST making playstation games now.

It's not even that they're not just making PlayStation games. If anything it impacts Nintendo exclusivity more.

No one even talks about Octopath Traveler hitting PlayStation recently, which kind of shows how people don't ACTUALLY care and it's all about fodder for console wars. Especially when its the closest thing to classic Square that they've put out in decades.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Can you post a source to where they literally said both games sales were bad? Not interpreted that way by someone’s opinion. The ceo or developers saying sales needed to be better.

Because the last I checked, during their financial period they made money from FF16 and FF Rebirth. Square Enix even announced when FF16 sold 3M copies. That doesn’t look like disappointment to me. Especially with Sony’s partnership lessening the cost of the games for Square Enix.

Yes FF Rebirth did not sell as much in the same timeframe as FF Remake. There could be a bunch of reasons why. Smaller installed base, sequel to a massive trilogy, people didn’t like the first part’s story, marketing, released in a crowded market of other games, released too soon close to FF16. That doesn’t mean it didn’t sell enough to make Square Enix money. It at least cleared 2M which is more than what a lot of multi platform games sell.

I did not claim bad sales. Some revenue issues are production cost related which is why I mentioned “to scale.” They may have needed both games to do more. Opinions and expectations on what are bad sales are should be relative to this.

We had recent reports from the last investor call of something other with the words supposedly from SE president himself saying that launch sales for Rebirth falling short of expectations and while FF16 has trailed off they’re still confident in the game’s long term run. This along with the Foamstars, Forspoken, and Star Ocean flops and blunders … Square’s doing the right thing by reevaluating their position.

Like, we’ve had this discussion already and topic already. Why pretend it didn’t happen? Because Bloomberg reported it? These comments still came from their president.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Even that is misleading started by the whole Phil Spencer on stage with the ceo promising more games and Square saying they’ll be more multi platform in regards to some AAA games.

They’ve always put their games on Switch and Xbox. Not everything on Xbox but they do get a lot of games. Not their fault XB owners don’t buy them and then they end up reducing support. Rinse and repeat.

Nintendo has more Square Enix exclusives than Sony.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I did not claim bad sales. Some revenue issues are production cost related which is why I mentioned “to scale.” They may have needed both games to do more. Opinions and expectations on what are bad sales are should be relative to this.

We had recent reports from the last investor call of something other with the words supposedly from SE president himself saying that launch sales for Rebirth falling short of expectations and while FF16 has trailed off they’re still confident in the game’s long term run. This along with the Foamstars, Forspoken, and Star Ocean flops and blunders … Square’s doing the right thing by reevaluating their position.

Like, we’ve had this discussion already and topic already. Why pretend it didn’t happen? Because Bloomberg reported it? These comments still came from their president.

Sales expectations are one thing. All developers have them. That doesn’t mean both games didn’t perform well enough to make them money. You’re acting like SE is upset with the partnership they have with Sony. They get money from Sony. It’s beneficial for them. Maxamilliondude even said Sony probably paid more than enough of the development cost of the Remake trilogy for exclusivity to where sales wouldn’t even matter anyway. Square Enix got their money.

That investors call listed games for Nintendo Switch too that actually sold bad. Don’t bunch FF games with the actual duds. I love how you guys love to put the focus on Sony as if it’s because of PlayStation exclusivity is the reason why they want more of their games multiplatform (which a lot of them already are).

Nintendo has more exclusives than Sony so it’s Nintendo’s fault then. See how that works? At least Sony is giving them millions for Final Fantasy.