Playstation will be attending Tokyo Game Show for the first time since 2019

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sales expectations are one thing. All developers have them. That doesn’t mean both games didn’t perform well enough to make them money. You’re acting like SE is upset with the partnership they have with Sony. They get money from Sony. It’s beneficial for them. Maxamilliondude even said Sony probably paid more than enough of the development cost of the Remake trilogy for exclusivity to where sales wouldn’t even matter anyway. Square Enix got their money.

That investors call listed games for Nintendo Switch too that actually sold bad. Don’t bunch FF games with the actual duds. I love how you guys love to put the focus on Sony as if it’s because of PlayStation exclusivity is the reason why they want more of their games multiplatform (which a lot of them already are).

Nintendo has more exclusives than Sony so it’s Nintendo’s fault then. See how that works? At least Sony is giving them millions for Final Fantasy.

Oh, I have no idea how Sony or Square would feel about future partnerships. That initial post was a prediction of a TGS outcome mostly. I should’ve prefaced that as prediction leading to a Koei tecmo purchase in the future.

Would I assume that if Square feels a certain way then maybe Sony would too having most likely also funded these games in some form? I would but there’s nothing like that out there.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Death Stranding 2 and Astrobot will be there. What else?
Marketing deal for upcoming Resident Evil?Show it at TGS.
A new XDeV game from Japan?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Because the last I checked, during their financial period they made money from FF16 and FF Rebirth. Square Enix even announced when FF16 sold 3M copies, that doesn't look like failure to me.
Yeah, well it looks like failure to me. FF is gaming royalty, slumming it in the sub-5 millions is a terrible look. It should have been at more than double that after the holidays.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
We could probably see the long rumoured XDEV Japan projects. There is also a comeback of Wild Arms in the chatter. If this is revealed on TGS or another publication, not sure tbh.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
TGS is where I could see them revealing Gravity Rush 2 Remastered, since It's not like they have any other reveals from Japan they could make and all Gravity Rush news were always dropped at TGS.
(Unless they will drop It in a blogpost, since that's how they tend to reveal these remasters and the trailer is already on Youtubes backend)

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
We need to remember that Ronin is a Playstation published game with the PlayStation intro reel n all.
Who owns the IP now? I remember Team Ninja owning it after something

So, if we take previous comments about acquisitions based on fostering partnerships on some level over the years… I honestly and truly believe Tecmo Koei acquisition is likely and the next major purchase I expect Sony to make in the game sector.

They’ve proven to be valuable for action, fighters and rpg and with a grasp on the desires of modern gamers and chunky souls combat.

Team Ninja with a Sony budget and management would be masterclass pedigree. I’m still playing Ronin and what its lacking Sony can provide.
Great Studio, but Id rather they buy someone else like FromSoft. But its still a pretty good studio/publisher to buy

Ico

8 May 2024
What does that have to do with enjoying a game?

You guys are beyond weird.

i saw someone acting like this torwards kunitsu gami earlier this week, they act like a game being on gamepass suddenly erases it from the ps store or something, its actually a little bit funny

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We could probably see the long rumoured XDEV Japan projects. There is also a comeback of Wild Arms in the chatter. If this is revealed on TGS or another publication, not sure tbh.
We know they have/had:
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Physint
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Some other China/India Hero Project since Sony said they'll publish some of their games when they see fit
Concord, Until Dawn, Lego Horizon, Convallaria (XDEV Japan), Lost Soul Aside (XDEV Japan), ZZZ, Silent Hill 2. And maybe some recent game like Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, FFVII Rebirth.

Oh, I have no idea how Sony or Square would feel about future partnerships. That initial post was a prediction of a TGS outcome mostly. I should’ve prefaced that as prediction leading to a Koei tecmo purchase in the future.

Would I assume that if Square feels a certain way then maybe Sony would too having most likely also funded these games in some form? I would but there’s nothing like that out there.
There's absolutely no reason to stop their partnerships. In fact, we know they have upcoming ones like the third FFVII remake game.

There were some Sony exclusives and some Switch exclusives that were timed ones, so after some time once they are expired they release in other places. On top of that, they want to focus more on multiplatform to improve their revenue and profits.

But that doesn't mean they'll stop making exclusives or other kind of partnerships with them. And obviously doesn't mean they'll release less games on PS. The opposite: PS not only will continue having the same SE they had before: they now they'll also have some that were Nintendo only.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Who owns the IP now?

Koei

they act like a game being on gamepass suddenly erases it from the ps store or something, its actually a little bit funny

If a game launched on Gamepass, chances are high it will be part of PS+ in the future. If a publisher decides its game is not worth to be sold at full price on one platform, why should owners of the other platform(s)?

Ico

8 May 2024
If a game launched on Gamepass, chances are high it will be part of PS+ in the future. If a publisher decides its game is not worth to be sold at full price on one platform, why should owners of the other platform(s)?

idk, i usually buy the games i want to play so it makes no difference to me, if ps players want to mimic the xbox fanbase to each their own

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Yeah, well it looks like failure to me. FF is gaming royalty, slumming it in the sub-5 millions is a terrible look. It should have been at more than double that after the holidays.
It's doing fine, the problem is they launched Rebirth less then a year after 16, bad move. Final Fantasy games are absolutely massive and I haven't bought Rebirth yet because I'm not done with 16 yet and I'm willing to bet a lot of people are in the same mindset. Games are not like movies, film, or tv. Games are an experience a gameplay experience and if you're already satisfied with a certain game that offers a great gameplay experience for you in a certain genre you're not going to rush out and get another game just like it so soon or atleast until you're done with the first game. All mainline Final Fantasy games play the same/similar gameplay.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Koei

You dont know what kinda claus is in them contracts though. I'm starting to think publishers have to keep their games off PS Plus for a certain amount of time if they accept Microsoft's Gamepass offer. Sony does this for sure, in most cases you cant get Sony marketing if you take a Gamepass deal and you cant get your game on PS Plus either. Games like Atomic Heart released on Gamepass well over a year ago and still has not hit Plus yet and its because of the agreement they signed with Microsoft when they took a Gamepass deal I'm pretty sure.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
What does that have to do with enjoying a game?

You guys are beyond weird.
Well ofc I never said not to enjoy it, all I said was people on this forum agree with Square deeming the game is worth a 1$ gamepass trial and will accordingly play it there and I don't understand your logic behind people needing to get hyped for a 5 year old game getting ported

Reactions: arvfab

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

It still is. That’s why it sold that much on one console. And we haven’t gotten any sales updates outside the 3M. It could be well past that.

FF16 would have sold the same even if it was multi platform. People compare FF15 sales but not every game is marketed like that. It was over marketed and over hyped. The event where they talked about the Kingsglaive movie and all these actors and actresses were there probably sold the game an extra 2M because of that.

FF15 is the perfect example on the power of marketing.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Who owns the IP now? I remember Team Ninja owning it after something
It's a first party game (meaning, published by Sony and specifically PS Studios) but Koei Tecmo owns the IP. Just like Bayonetta 3: it's a first party Nintendo game but Sega owns the Bayonetta IP.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It still is. That’s why it sold that much on one console. And we haven’t gotten any sales updates outside the 3M. It could be well past that.

FF16 would have sold the same even if it was multi platform. People compare FF15 sales but not every game is marketed like that. It was over marketed and over hyped. The event where they talked about the Kingsglaive movie and all these actors and actresses were there probably sold the game an extra 2M because of that.

FF15 is the perfect example on the power of marketing.
FFXVI is about as sellable as a new FF can be, people just have completely unrealistic expectations.

Same with FFVII Remake and Rebirth, short of FFVII getting some sort of live action movie or Netflix series that blows up this is about as good as FFVII games can do and has nothing to do with not being on Xbox. When it gets released on PC and Switch it will still sell what it's realistic for it to sell. The deal was great for SE.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
FFXVI is about as sellable as a new FF can be, people just have completely unrealistic expectations.

Same with FFVII Remake and Rebirth, short of FFVII getting some sort of live action movie or Netflix series that blows up this is about as good as FFVII games can do and has nothing to do with not being on Xbox. When it gets released on PC and Switch it will still sell what it's realistic for it to sell. The deal was great for SE.
People talk about FF as if it would sell 20 million if it weren't exclusive. They missed out on maybe 2 million sales (if even) and in exchange they didn't have to pay a dime in marketing expenses.