PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I subscribe to six, and it's still less than half the cost of cable TV. Better content and a lower price, win/win for me.

Going by the absolute unrealistic price of 10 bucks a month per service, you are paying 720 a year.... What a steal, and a true win/win for all your subscription providers, especially in the months were you don't watch anything from them.

Reactions: toadsage44

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Going by the absolute unrealistic price of 10 bucks a month per service, you are paying 720 a year.... What a steal, and a true win/win for all your subscription providers, especially in the months were you don't watch anything from them.

If I don't use them, why would I be subscribed?

And yes, you can throw out whatever price you want, it will still pale in comparison to cable.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Less than I ever paid for cable TV still to me. Or buying blu-rays/DVDs.

I'm watching more content than I ever have for far less money, at greater convenience to me. I'm ignoring half of the services out there, and then if I get bored I can go sub for a month or 2 and binge the shows I've missed. There's so much shit out there you'd have to be retired or something to actually be able to use more than a few subs at once.

But some of you may have never had your own cable subscriptions.. shits wild how much it cost lol And it had a fraction of the content of adding a couple of streaming services together.

There's just way.. and I mean wayyyyy more "TV shows" available to us because these services exist..

Reactions: MScarpa

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I am curious what all our Xbox friends will have to say when Sony announces acquisition of Square Enix. Let’s see if they keep their energy.

You do know people can purchase more than 1 console right? It's not like once you buy a PS5, you can't ever own a Series, or Switch, or PC. I don't care who buys what. I do like the fact that MS puts all their acquisitions on Gamepass.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
In the end, here's the rub:

MS's words were more vague than most people seemed to realize.

I am not going to harp on people who think they lied, because they were led to believe something.. as it's understandable (and to some extent, just semantics). But if you read between the lines, or really analyzed the words they were saying, they barely had any real meaning as far as promises.

Because in the end, if this purchase goes through.. MS would have the right to de-list every COD game that isn't on a contract.. and once those contracts are up, they could de-list those games too. So them saying stuff like "we will honor agreements, and beyond!" never really meant shit other than "we won't de-list all of Call of Duty from Playstation."

It's skeevy, dishonest.. sleazy.. but that's how they can get away with this shit. They never told regulators or anyone else, anything specific.. the most specific thing they said is when Spencer admitted the "for at least several years" thing.

It's also coupled with them endlessly talking about Gamepass.. and xCloud.. as something they can say "makes it so COD is never taken away from Playstation gamers, because surely you have a phone!"

That's their sell to regulators.. that MS putting everything in the cloud makes it so the barrier to entry is smaller for their games than having to buy a piece of console hardware, so they aren't harming consumers no matter what they do with console releases.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So you guys care about Sony revenue as opposed to a good game? Any of Sony's privately owned developers could make a much better FPS than what Activision has.
I don't care about CoD itself but a good part of PS users cares so that is enough reason to open the discussion about CoD on PS even if I don't care or play it.
Why only your or mine opinion about CoD should be valid?

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
You're as disingenuous as your cult leader Phil Spencer, so I don't expect better from you, but here you go:

"Titled like COD will continue to be available on PlayStation ... "

The phrase "continue to be" is by definition indefinite. Now, show me where they mentioned 3 years.
Yeah, and indefinite means an unspecified amount of time... just like several in nearly all cases is associated with the number 3...

Just stop, this is embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 13

I don't care about CoD itself but a good part of PS users cares so that is enough reason to open the discussion about CoD on PS even if I don't care or play it.
Why only your or mine opinion about CoD should be valid?
It doesn't but damn. COD isn't all that. I believe Sony can definitely make a better game.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It doesn't but damn. COD isn't all that. I believe Sony can definitely make a better game.

Where is anyone getting 3000 developers to make a game that sells billions every year? COD is stronger than madden.

But I do agree Sony can make replacements that bring in annual revenue. It’s more the bigger issue with owning another publisher that is that huge.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yeap they can.
Is all CoD guys that plays on PS play this new game? Not sure.
Is all CoD guys that plays on PC play a new CoD? For sure.

When you guys talk about CoD being dead and in declive... it is still around 20 million sold yearly across all platforms.
It peaked at near 50 million in the past but even today the lowest seller CoD still managed to move 20 million units sold.

People are even thinking Modern Warfare 2 will be a hit again... maybe a 30 million or more seller... I don't think it will but there is room to think that.

Do you know there are gamers that only buy PlayStation to play FIFA? Well there are these that only buy to play CoD.
FIFA is an interesting situation too because EA games won't be FIFA but everybody loves it... while FIFA doesn't have a game to show yet... it will be interesting how the new EA football game perform in terms of sales.

It is pretty hard to put a new football game in the market and FIFA has that challenge... same for CoD... it is very hard to build a new FPS to reach CoD name in gamers mind.

After all we have dozen of FPS with good or better quality than CoD... neither sells what CoD sells.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 13

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Microsoft can't create shit, and they know it, that's why they're buying their way. Honestly i hope this will get more pressure to Sony to be more innovative, cause they've been a bit too safe recently.

Reactions: Swift_Star

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
They definitely can. It'll be an uphill battle trying to win mindshare though. Who knows though. The gaming community can be really fickle. Whatever they do though, it 100% needs to release on PC alongside PS platforms day one.

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
Phil Spencer is a snake 🐍 🐍
Litterally so tired of him acting like how he is the here for the gamers and the community. he needs to relax and be honest.
If you go back and read his statements you will see it's the complete oppesite.
I mean makes sense, they paid billions for this deal after all 🤷‍♀️

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Yes

No, unprofessional was what Phil did: to publicly mention their business talk with Sony which should remained confidential.

And even worse, Phil did that apparently bullshit contact basically to lie their investors, regulators and ABK customers, which is even worse making them sound as if they wanted to keep CoD multi to pass the regulations and close the acquisition when they wanted to turn it into exclusive.

Jim did what was needed: to be clear and mention that MS was lying regarding their plans for CoD and PS, and to clean Sony's name regarding the regulator investigations and the hypothetical future announcement of CoD going exclusive.

Fun fact: Destiny has the record of the biggest selling (worldwide) new gaming IP ever.

Not of FPS, but of all genres. Not this gen, but of all gens.
Yeah Destiny is a monster IP. Sony may very well have their answer to COD with Bungies new IP and Destiny 3

Just depends if they bite the bullet and exclude Xbox

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yeah Destiny is a monster IP. Sony may very well have their answer to COD with Bungies new IP and Destiny 3

Just depends if they bite the bullet and exclude Xbox

I don't think Sony should exclude Destiny from the Xbox consoles, even if MS make COD exclusive to the Xbox consoles. Should that occur, they should instead make sure any Destiny DLC is timed exclusive on Playstation and PC. 1 year should suffice. I wouldn't retaliate further, it would hurt the bottom line too much.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I don't think Sony should exclude Destiny from the Xbox consoles, even if MS make COD exclusive to the Xbox consoles. Should that occur, they should instead make sure any Destiny DLC is timed exclusive on Playstation and PC. 1 year should suffice. I wouldn't retaliate further, it would hurt the bottom line too much.
Nah

They can still go PC, PS and Nintendos next system even. Xbox gamers don't buy games anyway

Splitting the DLC isn't really an option with live service

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I don’t think anyone really needs that (low) Xbox revenue..,

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony can take the high ground with Destiny and just continue it on Xbox. It'll make it easier for them to make future acquisitions (and make those games exclusive).

But if they exclude Xbox, they won't lose much. It's much easier for Sony to exclude Xbox than the other way around because of their low market share and a consumer base that doesn't buy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.