PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I mean I don't understand why the Sony gamers care about CoD being exclusive after this next iteration.

I also don't understand all the fuss. None of the ActiBlizzard games is qualitatively good and MS waisting 70B on them means less risk for them buying actual good devs.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
It's not COD that I give a shit about. Its actually the idea of publishers as big as A/B being bought up, and what it will lead to with Subscriptions. Look at whats happening to the film/tv industry? No one in a post covid era are going to the movies outside of big specific films. Smaller films have to pray they cut a deal with a streaming service and enough people watch their movie.

There's no second hand market like dvd sales and rentals to fall back on if a movie doesn't do well in a theater or bring in new subs/engagment.

This is in parallel to gaming. If Sony a company entrenched in Film/TV sees whats happening and sees its a losing battle to try and muscle their own subscription service then maybe they see the same way in gaming?

I think they see that in the early days people will go where the deals are. Right now it is gamepass and subscription services. Also means the days of actual people completing a game similar to someone completing a movie/tv series % wise is low with only a couple making the cut.

Unfortunately, people are shortsighted. They don't care about quality as long as they have a "good deal". They also don't see the inevitable outcome of this, although they can clearly see where Netflix's success led to.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
In the end I hope the deal falls through. I don't like the idea of a big pub going to a console manufacturer. I'm not an Xbox fanboy, and barely even a fan anymore. I mean how can I be when I haven't used an Xbox to play a game since like 2013 lol

But the carefully written statements from Xbox were purposefully vague, and anyone on either side (Xbox fanboys have argued MS would keep COD multiplat too) who actually read those statements and thought MS was making strong promises wasn't paying attention or listening to people like me. In fact they were just doing the same shit that is happening in this thread.. calling me a fanboy for pointing out MS's shady use of legalese

Reactions: toadsage44

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just don't understand the phill warriors.... why?
seriously, why?
Can't you see he destroys the gaming media you love?
It's not even about not releasing exclusives anymore and good games.... it's about consolidation of whole industry.
Consolidation leads to many bad things. Studios are calculated and closed. These studios no longer have freedom to make the games they want and risks are out of the question now. This leads to safe games that have to sell...
Gaas, GP, devaluation of gaming. It all goes together.

I loved 360 but lookin at it now, they started the paid online Bullshit.
Unfortunately Sony follows them because it's free exploitation money.
All of it leads to less good games and it shows in past few years
Some consolidation isn't that bad if they keep the acquired MP games/companies multiplatform.

Since forever and having nothing to do with consolidation, in many cases companies who do great products but end getting bad financial results and only have the alternatives of shutting down or to sell. Or are stuck in their growing path or results and need extra cash to do better and cool stuff, and by selling they get it. Getting bought saves many studios.

Plus there are a gazillion dev teams and publishers out there, and the market share is split between a lot of them. Several of them getting bought don't change things a lot. In many cases, people from these acquired teams leave and create new studios.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I think they were way too cocky. I remember @Heisenberg007 repeatedly saying that there's no way CoD would go exclusive because it needs that Playstation money. Now that console daddy Jimbo has been publicly crying about the signed deal Phil sent him, morale has broken and wild accusations are being thrown around 😁 Turns out Phil can make CoD "exclusive" and still never break his word. Absolute masterclass.
Just when you think corporate sychopancy cant get any more pathetic 😄
giphy.gif

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Feels like MS has just removed anything other than COD from discussion as of late.

For my personal tastes since I'm not concerned with Sony's profits on COD I'm more worried about future Diablo stuff.

I really enjoyed Diablo on PS4, and played it separately from the PC version as they are kinda like 2 different games and I have different people who don't PC game to co-op with.

I'd hate for future Diablo 4 expansions or Diablo 5 or whatever to be Xbox only.

But honestly feel like MS/Spencer fucked up the messaging on this purchase.. their smarmy asses went way too hard on the "COD multiplat PR" while being slimy w/ wording not REALLY promising much at all. Now they've got this bad PR mess all while the UK regulators just made their statements that the deal needs extra scrutiny.

The ? is, does MS really even want Acti if they have to promise indefinite COD exclusivity?

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Unfortunately, people are shortsighted. They don't care about quality as long as they have a "good deal". They also don't see the inevitable outcome of this, although they can clearly see where Netflix's success led to.

Good thing this is all subjective. Personally I think television and entertainment in general is better than its ever been. There's so much great stuff now.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Good thing this is all subjective. Personally I think television and entertainment in general is better than its ever been. There's so much great stuff now.

And how many different subscriptions do you need to have in order to cherrypick what you like?

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

That may be true because all the streaming services are vying for you're attention so there's competition in that regard. But I would argue since mid 2000's we've had great tv shows and films. Actually we had more variety of quality films more back then, than we do now for theatrical releases. Now its either war film, animated or a superhero/blockbuster film.

And even that releases are fewer than they were theatrical wise. No one is making money hands over fist in the theaters partly because of covid, but also its too expensive to go out. SO people will use convenience, and through that services look for engagement numbers. And thats how shows get continued seasons or sequels to movies are being made.

No more are there dvd sales to make up for a small modest budget 30m picture that had another 30-40m tacked on for PR. So if they made 20-30m in the theater they would need those dvd sales/rentals to make up the difference.

No one unless its a blockbuster, is paying 30m for a small film to be on Netflix.

Thats the fear of what is going to happen if we let more purchases of large publishing entities by larger companies. FTC should have not let Disney buy Fox straight up.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Looking forward to whether people are still saying this when Netflix brings in its ad-supported tier, and then jack's up it's prices on its other tiers with no improvement in the quality of content.

Same goes for GamePass when MS starts significantly upping it's prices, will people still say it's the best deal in gaming I wonder.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Looking forward to whether people are still saying this when Netflix brings in its ad-supported tier, and then jack's up it's prices on its other tiers with no improvement in the quality of content.

Same goes for GamePass when MS starts significantly upping it's prices, will people still say it's the best deal in gaming I wonder.

^This, Netflix is literally $20 a month, HBOMAX though has more higher quality and consistent content is 14.99 for No ads.

hulu is like 12.99 for No ads.

Soon Disney is adding ads i hear.

So if you dont want ads you pay a premium. This goes with whats happening in games.

Xbox is just goin to be at the forefront because they can afford to be.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Something i think is getting lost in the back and forths (myself included) is that Jim ryans complaint isnt that COD would be exclusive, its the Microsoft is LYING about their intentions to make it exclusive. What we dont know is if microsoft is lying to regulators as well.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
^This, Netflix is literally $20 a month, HBOMAX though has more higher quality and consistent content is 14.99 for No ads.

hulu is like 12.99 for No ads.

Soon Disney is adding ads i hear.

So if you dont want ads you pay a premium. This goes with whats happening in games.

Xbox is just goin to be at the forefront because they can afford to be.
HBO has always been the benchmark in terms of quality TV shows. I'm dropping my Netflix later this month, will sub back in December if something good arrives on it but at the moment I'm hardly watching it.

With GamePass MS can't up the price because they aren't bringing any first-party games. But as soon as they do, and decide they want to stop haemorrhaging money on it they'll do a Netflix with several smallish increases.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

The only people who use that phrase are marketing employees, and fools. It's literally an ad slogan.

And as I've said many, many times, it's not the best deal if it doesn't have the content I want. 70 dollars per title (60 on switch) is a WAY better deal and value TO ME for a game I want than 14.99 a month for total garbage I have no use for. It's an incredibly simple concept.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Deeply ironic post considering none of you guys actually care about the game called CoD. Instead you're mad because your precious brand is (potentially) losing out on a lucrative deal. The projection is real.
Go play your GP. I've never have seen you talking about games. You only worship and shill for MS over and over. Pathetic.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
This is how I kinda read it too,

Phil "Don't worry PlayStation Fans we will keep cod on PlayStation forever.

Behind the scenes, make sure the paperwork says 3 years, once they have signed it, they can fuck right off"

Reminds me of this " Trust me"
the jungle book trap GIF

It's exactly that. Same thing with Bethesda. I don't know why we had/have all these people saying it would stay exclusive. It obviously wasn't going to. We still have the few that hang on like Yurinka.

Status
Not open for further replies.