PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I just don't understand the phill warriors.... why?
seriously, why?
Can't you see he destroys the gaming media you love?
It's not even about not releasing exclusives anymore and good games.... it's about consolidation of whole industry.
Consolidation leads to many bad things. Studios are calculated and closed. These studios no longer have freedom to make the games they want and risks are out of the question now. This leads to safe games that have to sell...
Gaas, GP, devaluation of gaming. It all goes together.

I loved 360 but lookin at it now, they started the paid online Bullshit.
Unfortunately Sony follows them because it's free exploitation money.
All of it leads to less good games and it shows in past few years

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
i was getting at they don't release a FF every year.
Well, they have many IPs. But specifically FF, if you also consider things like remakes, remasters, compilations and mobile games I'd bet they release multiple FF games per year.

They dont have a title that they pump out on a yearly basis was what I was getting at. And that 2.5B was on a high note of covid, and FF14 having a huge resurgence because WOW players left Blizzard for FF14.

On top of their mobile efforts.
This year they continued their operative income growth pattern they already had since several years ago, in the same way that their stocks also have been growing steadily since like a decade ago.

Players leave WoW to FFXIV because they think it's a better game or got bored of WoW, yes. FFXIV is the new king of MMORPG.

They merge their console, pc and mobile gaming numbers under "Digital Entertainment" and don't provide specific mobile numbers, so you can't know if their performance is due to mobile or not. But for this fiscal year they mentioned "The Games for Smart Devices/PC Browser sub-segment saw somewhat weak performances from existing
titles, but its net sales rose compared to the previous fiscal year due to the application of revised revenue
recognition standards."
To you're first question, Square had success on NES and SNES, but more success WW with Sony's distribution of Playstation in outside markets of the US/UK and Japan. Square bought Enix during the PS1-PS2 era because they had the capital during their expansion growth.
During the 8 and 16 bit gen Square and Enix (before their merging) already were the top RPG publishers in console and one of the biggest 3rd party console publishers worldwide in a general even if many of their games were Japan only or some were also released in the west but were super successful particularly in Japan. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games already were million sellers, several of their games even sold multiple millions each even in NES.

With PlayStation the console installbase got way bigger, specially in Europe (the biggest PS market). Square Enix were smart on increasing their efforts to not only release more games in Europe, but to localize more to non-English languages. Something key and that by becoming more common in PS than in previous consoles, did help PS grow a lot in Europe. As a result of all this Square sales increased and particularly FFVII sold way better than previous FF games. It was the first JRPG for a huge amount of western players. They got a lot of money and kept growing.

In the case of Dragon Quest they kept selling on PS the 3-4M copies per games they already were selling before, particularly on Japan. They didn't take the FFVII localization efforts with Dragon Quest.

They also had other pretty successful IPs that did particularly well on PS or subseries like FF Tactics. That gen teaming up with Sony they were way more successful than before in general than in the previous ones with Nintendo (remember, there's also the revenue cut etc). So they repeated their partnership in PS2, and in PS3 they had to go multi because they needed extra revenue sources since the development costs skyrocketed but game pricing and sales not, so went multi to get more revenue sources to compensate it.

They already were important before PS, but PS1 and PS2 did push them to a new level helping them become way bigger and more powerful.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
The original public statements were "we don't want to take CoD away from playstation", then he backtracked to "several years before stopping it", which Jim Ryan felt he needed to specify.

The lies are obvious, if not unexpected. The only people trying to fool themselves are the ones who think MS isn't being anti-competitive.

Unless they literally delist games, it's not a lie.

That's the thing about being super fucking vague and never once saying anything like "future games" or "all future games."

Sony didn't take "Final Fantasy" away from Xbox either in a generic sense, as people argued in this thread.

Post the actual quotes, we've been over this dozens of times.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
seriously, why?
Because people can't point out how he lied. It's just salt imo.
No, he gave us the best deal in gaming and with acquisitions like these, the deal becomes even better.
It's not even about not releasing exclusives anymore and good games.... it's about consolidation of whole industry.
It's about making Gamepass a great deal. I don't care if a game is exclusive tbh, I only care if it's good and if it's on Gamepass (ideally).
Consolidation leads to many bad things. Studios are calculated and closed. These studios no longer have freedom to make the games they want and risks are out of the question now. This leads to safe games that have to sell...
The opposite happened to Xbox studios. They can do whatever they want, to the point that it was already a bit detrimental and we got a lot of delays. We're getting many diverse, niche games too (see the upcoming Pentiment as one example).
Xbox won publisher of the year in 2021, with the highest average Metacritic score ever. So idk about your hypothesis.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab and ethomaz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
seriously, why?

Youre assuming they are gamers like you. These arent gamers. These are paid for astroturfers apart of microsofts ambassador program. They probably dont even own a game console. Their job is to post on twitter and forums to sow frustration and cause arguments, all with xbox as the focal point. Youre wasting your time trying to reason and find common ground with them. Shame them and call them out for what they are at every opportunity, that is paid astroturf shills.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Because people can't point out how he lied. It's just salt imo.

No, he gave us the best deal in gaming and with acquisitions like these, the deal becomes even better.

It's about making Gamepass a great deal. I don't care if a game is exclusive tbh, I only care if it's good and if it's on Gamepass (ideally).

The opposite happened to Xbox studios. They can do whatever they want, to the point that it was already a bit detrimental and we got a lot of delays. We're getting many diverse, niche games too (see the upcoming Pentiment as one example).

Xbox won publisher of the year in 2021, with the highest average Metacritic score ever. So idk about your hypothesis.
You really like to talk about GP being a great deal...
You must be blind not to see what this free sausage will lead to. As I've said, devaluing industry and gaming

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You really like to talk about GP being a great deal...
You must be blind not to see what this free sausage will lead to. As I've said, devaluing industry and gaming
images

Gamepass! Gamepass! Gamepass!

Pretty much what it all boils down too. Some people really are in love with a rental service.

D

Deleted member 13

I mean I don't understand why the Sony gamers care about CoD being exclusive after this next iteration.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean I don't understand why the Sony gamers care about CoD being exclusive after this next iteration.
If think around 40% of CoD sales come from PlayStation if I'm not wrong... it is like 10 million on the less successful entries (the successful ones probably crossed 20 million on PS only).

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
seriously, why?

Xbots don't care about the industry or games, they just want MS to dominate everything. They don't love games, they love the Xbox brand above anything else.
Have you ever seen Xbots talking about GAMES? I haven't. They talk about Xbox and Gamepass. NEVER games.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Youre assuming they are gamers like you. These arent gamers. These are paid for astroturfers apart of microsofts ambassador program. They probably dont even own a game console. Their job is to post on twitter and forums to sow frustration and cause arguments, all with xbox as the focal point. Youre wasting your time trying to reason and find common ground with them. Shame them and call them out for what they are at every opportunity, that is paid astroturf shills.
That's some peak schizo-posting. Kinda sad that it's allowed tbh.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Also Squaresoft dropped nintendo because of the console tech that nintendo went with in the N64. Sony had the better tech in the PS1. FF would not have evolved into what it is today on consoles without the PS1, same for MG and GTA. What have MS or nintendo contributed to any of those games since PS1?

Bethesda have a shitload of games in development and Sony got 2 as timed exclusive, normal practice that ever console pub have utilized in almost every gen.

Sony’s timed exclusive practice cant be compared to buying up 2 massive pubs in 12 months and locking their games away forever from other platforms they have been available on for literal decades.

Reactions: toadsage44
D

Deleted member 13

If think around 40% of CoD sales come from PlayStation if I'm not wrong... it is like 10 million on the less successful entries (the successful ones probably crossed 20 million on PS only).
So you guys care about Sony revenue as opposed to a good game? Any of Sony's privately owned developers could make a much better FPS than what Activision has.

D

Deleted member 13

Sony’s timed exclusive practice cant be compared to buying up 2 massive pubs in 12 months and locking their games away forever from other platforms they have been available on for literal decades.
But this is one of the reasons I see Sony publishing their games to PC. That can make up the lost in sales from MS scooping up Activision and Bethsoft

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
But this is one of the reasons I see Sony publishing their games to PC. That can make up the lost in sales from MS scooping up Activision and Bethsoft
This is a good point. They're not trying to sell PS5s to PC gamers (LOL), they're porting the games late in their lifecycle to squeeze some more sales out of them.

Last edited:

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Xbots don't care about the industry or games, they just want MS to dominate everything. They don't love games, they love the Xbox brand above anything else.
Have you ever seen Xbots talking about GAMES? I haven't. They talk about Xbox and Gamepass. NEVER games.
Deeply ironic post considering none of you guys actually care about the game called CoD. Instead you're mad because your precious brand is (potentially) losing out on a lucrative deal. The projection is real.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I want it to happen as it will force Sony to do something.
I also don't think that this upset it just about CoD because Xbox said the same thing for Bethesda games at the start then switched to Xbox exclusive for all future games.
If that happens with ABK games as well that's a huge blow to the anti competitive crap people like to throw about.
All i have ever wanted Xbox to do is build up there studios and buy small bit by bit, Make games (Good Games) and make new IPs while building upon the old.

Reactions: AniWeeb

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

It's not COD that I give a shit about. Its actually the idea of publishers as big as A/B being bought up, and what it will lead to with Subscriptions. Look at whats happening to the film/tv industry? No one in a post covid era are going to the movies outside of big specific films. Smaller films have to pray they cut a deal with a streaming service and enough people watch their movie.

There's no second hand market like dvd sales and rentals to fall back on if a movie doesn't do well in a theater or bring in new subs/engagment.

This is in parallel to gaming. If Sony a company entrenched in Film/TV sees whats happening and sees its a losing battle to try and muscle their own subscription service then maybe they see the same way in gaming?

I think they see that in the early days people will go where the deals are. Right now it is gamepass and subscription services. Also means the days of actual people completing a game similar to someone completing a movie/tv series % wise is low with only a couple making the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.