Predict next SIE CEO(with rewards)

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Prob Lin Tao. And I hope she cleans house, Hermen and Lempel need to go or do as told in diminished roles.

Eric Lempel would be the worst choice of them all. Marketing guy who has scaled the ranks. Well him and Hermen would be worst choices, at least Hermen has run studios.

Reactions: Diah

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Prob Lin Tao. And I hope she cleans house, Hermen and Lempel need to go or do as told in diminished roles.

Eric Lempel would be the worst choice of them all. Marketing guy who has scaled the ranks. Well him and Hermen would be worst choices, at least Hermen has run studios.
Herman’s studio delivered one of the most successful new ip ps released last gen and Herman is the only one of the candidates with a long history of making games. Lin Tia is a business woman. She is the candidate most similar to Jim along with Eric. Ppl cry about want a gamer and some one who knows how to make games as the next ceo than come with these kinda takes. You want to choose a bike as women over a guy who’s been making games for over 30yrs. Make it make sense.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Herman’s studio delivered one of the most successful new ip ps released last gen and Herman is the only one of the candidates with a long history of making games. Lin Tia is a business woman. She is the candidate most similar to Jim along with Eric. Ppl cry about want a gamer and some one who knows how to make games as the next ceo than come with these kinda takes. You want to choose a bike as women over a guy who’s been making games for over 30yrs. Make it make sense.

And his studio is responsbile for Decima, the best gaming engine of this past gen.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Phil Rosenberg, and he's gonna have a blank check to pursue external acquisitions of studios and publishers

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

And his studio is responsbile for Decima, the best gaming engine of this past gen.

Lol... if you're going to be weighting success like a simpleton then he's also responsible for Sony getting dog-walked during the PS3 era, when the big shooter franchises were getting established and establishing deep roots. Meanwhile his studio was coming out with the MidZone franchise as Sony's flagship shooter, whose last title on PS4 was a tragedy.

Said franchise got dog-walked by COD, BF, Gears and Halo (and many other shooters in-between and since), consequences of which Sony is still paying for today. And even Horizon, as good as it's with Sony's full backing still can't hang with contemporary franchises from studios like CDPR, or even in-house peers like Naughty Dog, or SSM. That's not to say that modern Guerrilla is trash, far from it, they're a dependable workhorse but that's it, and where the hyperbole surrounding Hermen ends.

If you think about it, Bungie's acquisition is literally the solution to Guerrilla's and Hermen's failure to become an industry leading elite FPS studio with the IPs in tow. 3 Billion + opportunity cost and lost ground in between all these years in the FPS races. Costly failure.

If you're going to cry "gamer'.... then why not create a thread, and an online petition to get a real MVP like Evan Wells (Naughty Dog president during Naughty Dog's industry leading prime) to head Sony then? Talk about success..... Infinitely more successful than Jim's favorite toyboy Hermen, or hec, Yummi Yang of SSM or Ted Price of Insonmiac (multi-team, multi-studio manager on a high).

Lin Tao checks the business boxes and is the more likely pick on a superficial analysis of potential picks at the top echelons. It's not a fan dream pick. Imo, none in the current upper echelon give me any confidence, and definitely not Hermen or Lempel. The unbalanced GaaS push, dumb PC strategy and the leadership core pushing it in its current form needs to go, and we sadly do not know how many at the top agree or disagree with the current strategy. You can do GaaS and not unbalance your portfolio, and you can do PC the "right way", and not the dumb way - if you're dead set on doing PC at at all (which I believe, right way or dumb way is a strategic mistake - just current strategy being worse than the other).

Lempel is PR on steroids, cause unlike Jim and his EU "street cred", the cred for Lempel is marketing (the bullshit machine of all corps) + psn. PSN being the most relevant business experience here.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer and Diah

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
While Eric Lampel is my prediction, I honestly don't know who I would prefer as the head of SIE.

I do know that I'd love to see Ted Price in an important role and to maybe even replace Hermen. I think he can bring a TON of value to PlayStation Studios.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Are you guys seriously saying Eric Lempel because he made 1 interview today? What if Hermen makes an interview tomorrow. Who's the CEO? 🤡

• haha
Reactions: Umar

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Lol... if you're going to be weighting success like a simpleton then he's also responsible for Sony getting dog-walked during the PS3 era, when the big shooter franchises were getting established and establishing deep roots. Meanwhile his studio was coming out with the MidZone franchise as Sony's flagship shooter, whose last title on PS4 was a tragedy.

Said franchise got dog-walked by COD, BF, Gears and Halo (and many other shooters in-between and since), consequences of which Sony is still paying for today. And even Horizon, as good as it's with Sony's full backing still can't hang with contemporary franchises from studios like CDPR, or even in-house peers like Naughty Dog, or SSM. That's not to say that modern Guerrilla is trash, far from it, they're a dependable workhorse but that's it, and where the hyperbole surrounding Hermen ends.

If you think about it, Bungie's acquisition is literally the solution to Guerrilla's and Hermen's failure to become an industry leading elite FPS studio with the IPs in tow. 3 Billion + opportunity cost and lost ground in between all these years in the FPS races. Costly failure.

If you're going to cry "gamer'.... then why not create a thread, and an online petition to get a real MVP like Evan Wells (Naughty Dog president during Naughty Dog's industry leading prime) to head Sony then? Talk about success..... Infinitely more successful than Jim's favorite toyboy Hermen, or hec, Yummi Yang of SSM or Ted Price of Insonmiac (multi-team, multi-studio manager on a high).

Lin Tao checks the business boxes and is the more likely pick on a superficial analysis of potential picks at the top echelons. It's not a fan dream pick. Imo, none in the current upper echelon give me any confidence, and definitely not Hermen or Lempel. The unbalanced GaaS push, dumb PC strategy and the leadership core pushing it in its current form needs to go, and we sadly do not know how many at the top agree or disagree with the current strategy. You can do GaaS and not unbalance your portfolio, and you can do PC the "right way", and not the dumb way - if you're dead set on doing PC at at all (which I believe, right way or dumb way is a strategic mistake - just current strategy being worse than the other).

Lempel is PR on steroids, cause unlike Jim and his EU "street cred", the cred for Lempel is marketing (the bullshit machine of all corps) + psn. PSN being the most relevant business experience here.
U really don’t want to open the door with name calling with me jackass! Killzone franchises was successful for what it was and was never meant to dethrone halo or call of duty. Speaking of which how many copies did the last halo sell? 🤡 hzd out sold halo infinite and 5 so tall all the sht u want. Where’s Bonnie Ross? How’s halo doing 🤡

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
U really don’t want to open the door with name calling with me jackass! Killzone franchises was successful for what it was and was never meant to dethrone halo or call of duty. Speaking of which how many copies did the last halo sell? 🤡 hzd out sold halo infinite and 5 so tall all the sht u want. Where’s Bonnie Ross? How’s halo doing 🤡
Never meant to dethrone Halo or COD or Gears or BF? or compete and hang with them? Talk about 🤡 emoji.... you really didn't think that through then again you were out of options and boxed yourself just by replying to the initial post in your low IQ defense of Hermen. For as much as he has "succeeded" relatively speaking, so has he failed, relatively speaking. If you were going to pick an argumentative fight with me, that was a dumb topic to do so and get triggered by. You're simply doubling down cause you have nowhere to go. Needless to say, you'll live to learn like the rest.

I think replying to you with the knowledge you have in tow is a waste of time. BTW, the fck does Halo declining under 343i has to do with Bungie's Halo dogwalking Killzone during the PS3 era and being the premiere platform exclusive console shooter, along with Gears (prestige, mind-share, sales, industry impact etc). Moreover what does that have to do with the fact that Guerrilla failed to become Sony's elite FPS studio during the FPS race of the PS3 era, while contemporaries like Bungie and Epic, and those helming or caretaking for COD/BF etc were able to, and still are today, even with different and even more successful IPs (Fortnite, Destiny)? What does any of that have to do with Killzone being literally a dead IP, a franchise that never amounted to much, and instead of going out with a bang, went out with a fart?

Did you know Guerilla was on the chopping block pending Horizon's performance? And why was Hermen's helmed Guerrilla on the chopping block in the first place? Cause of the failure of the Killzone IP dummie... and the failure to become what Sony had envisioned for that studio - an elite FPS studio. Guerilla was afterall, just a bigger Zipper Interactive. School's in session.

Why is Sony going so hard on a GaaS push, and acquiring FPS studios, first Bungie and then industry vet led studios from franchises like COD etc? Cause of unfinished business dating back to the PS3 era on a massive portfolio hole in a genre called FPS. And by extension of that, the failure of the studios from Sony's stable, dead (Zipper etc) or alive (Guerrilla) to get the job done.

The name itself literally spells it out : "Guerrilla" games... except now it's an action RPG studio - a last resort studio survival mechanism. On top of career climbing inside Sony - becoming more apparent by the day as well. Luckily enough, Jimbo's days are numbered. How many truly successful and talented studio heads and creative directors in Sony's stable have bolted over the years... who did not career climb?

Talk about truly model success: Evan Wells (soon retiring). Ted Price.

Lower: Shannon Studstill, Brian Fleming.

Hec, even Stig Asmussen... why not? GOW III, Fallen Order/Survivor (on EA of all places - you really need the talent to create something decent and memorable under dogshit EA).

Now if the argument was: Cut Guerrilla and Hermen some slack cause the competition in the FPS genre is relatively way higher than in other genre's. If that was the argument then a nuanced discussion on that topic could be had. But engaging in that discussion already recognizes the failure, non-negotiable. Thus you're just debating why it happened as opposed to denying it's a reality. Not like Guerrilla is up there with Sony's top dogs anyway so they're still a rung below in Sony's house, whether with Killzone or Horizon.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Are you guys seriously saying Eric Lempel because he made 1 interview today? What if Hermen makes an interview tomorrow. Who's the CEO? 🤡
He’s a good a guess as any. Personally think he should take Herman’s job and Herman takes Jim’s. Eric is a good communicator and if ppl want a more relatable figure for the face of the brand he would be a good choices for Herman’s current role. 🤷🏽‍ im fine either way

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters