PS "exclusive" Helldivers II will require PS Plus Membership (online paywall) while releasing on PC Day & Date, with online play being free!

Fair or Unfair? Should the online PayWall die?

• Total voters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Angry Evil Eye GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If your takeaway from all of this is that this is somehow a smear campaign against Helldivers II....(and somehow you're worried about optics) I don't know what to tell you. I could be honest and say your fanboysm is in a clinical state and in need of serious therapy but then that offends people. Obviously mixed with a misunderstanding of the core argument in the first place, again, partly because of fanboysm, partly because of a lack of critical thinking. It's not for the lack of posters here explaining it thoroughly.

Helldivers II is merely the launch vehicle.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
If your takeaway from all of this is that this is somehow a smear campaign against Helldivers II....(and somehow you're worried about optics) I don't know what to tell you. I could be honest and say your fanboysm is in a clinical state and in need of serious therapy but then that offends people. Obviously mixed with a misunderstanding of the core argument in the first place, again, partly because of fanboysm, partly because of a lack of critical thinking. It's not for the lack of posters here explaining it thoroughly.

Helldivers II is merely the launch vehicle.
And if what you interpreted is that I said this is a smear campaign against Helldivers 2... Then I dunno what tell you. Because that's not Definitely what I said... See context matters (something something "optics" as you say).

Well it's kinda refreshing to be called a fanboy on IconEra, who knew this day would come? I'm constantly labeled a "green rat", a hater, never satisfied by anything Sony does... Now suddenly I'm a delusional fanboy in need of therapy 🤣🤣

Helldivers isn't a launch vehicle for shit. Y'all been know for years this was gonna happen. This has been known and laid out by Shawn Layden since 2019. Everyone was A-OK with Sony putting GaaS games on PC day and date.... Until now apparently.

The first Helldivers didn't require PS+ on PC either but required it on PS4.... Nobody gave a shit.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
And if what you interpreted is that I said this is a smear campaign against Helldivers 2... Then I dunno what tell you. Because that's not Definitely what I said... See context matters (something something "optics" as you say).

Well it's kinda refreshing to be called a fanboy on IconEra, who knew this day would come? I'm constantly labeled a "green rat", a hater, never satisfied by anything Sony does... Now suddenly I'm a delusional fanboy in need of therapy 🤣🤣

Helldivers isn't a launch vehicle for shit. Y'all been know for years this was gonna happen. This has been known and laid out by Shawn Layden since 2019. Everyone was A-OK with Sony putting GaaS games on PC day and date.... Until now apparently.

The first Helldivers didn't require PS+ on PC either but required it on PS4.... Nobody gave a shit.

Both are valid positions, I can see how a PlayStation user or fan can be bothered by it...seeing it as preferential treatment to pc and I can see how many, including myself have a subscription to PSPlus anyway and it doesn't really make a difference....

I think at this point you guys just have to understand eachothers positions and leave it at that. Agree to disagree and all that...

Whatever you guys do, don't get banned because tomorrow will be fun.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Not everyone is A - OK with that policy, and I do know that you have your reservations, like many of us here on the PC port policy (which is not necessarily at its core about PC, but what it entails). The interpretation that this is somehow a smear campaign against Helldivers II and thus an "optics issue" can not be explained by anything other than fanboysm. There are degrees to that, cause I'm a PS fan, like many of you here. If anything, that word characterizes a state of thinking at a particular point in time for a particular topic of discussion, understanding the affinity towards the brand that exists. Thus the propensity for hot takes off the cuff with brand defense underlying them. Everyone with a particular brand affinity and favoritism displays fanboysm at some point or another, me included. Personally I try to keep it in check as much as possible.

As for the last point, @Old Gamer also brought that point forward earlier in the thread and there are responses to that already, from myself. Regardless of whether that response personally satisfies someone or not, and beyond that, such point does not disqualify the topic and discussion in any shape or form. Thus the attack from that angle, seeking dismissal from that angle is futile, and suggests once again... unchecked "f" word.

Seeking dismissal of the topic, and its discussion under the many angles of attack and pretext that I've seen from several posters here is a completely futile exercise. More like a "taking a dump on a thread" exercise, with a flash of fanboy cred. If anything these sort of topics that as a byproduct combat fanboy tendencies and break echo chamber cohesion are needed much more. At the very least, to refine thinking.

Edit: me and Danja patched up in DM's, since he can no longer post.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It’s either everything gets behind paywall or everything bypasses it. I just don’t see any hardware manufacturer canning and risking that revenue stream. So I lean towards everything getting behind.

No reason why Fortnite, Warzone and Apex should bypass. This is only meant to cater to the biggest winners… Fortnite and Activision. The f2p semantics thing is garbage. And most f2p games that launch die instantly. Didn’t help shit. It’s meant to keep Fortnite and Warzone dominant.

Now with activision being owned by your competition… makes even less sense to give Warzone a free pass when Destiny, Rainbow Six, GTA and every other major online game does not.

I’m okay with everything being behind the paywall. Right now it’s not a fair market even for their own published efforts. Helldivers, Destiny, Marathon, Concord… all will launch at full msrp and need an additional ps plus paywall while Warzone and Fortnite have full access to every ps console with an online connection…

Games other than the f2p giants are already in a gimped fight only having access ps plus subscribers … which are what? 45% of overall playerbase?

I’m okay with paywall with a variety of reasons. Best deterrent against cheaters in pvp and honestly… I think the freebies are a steal for what you get over the years. I’m okay with it.

I will also never game on pc so don’t care …

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
You have to pay 10 dollars per month or 80 dollars annual fee on PS for online play. On PC online is free.
I paid $27.99 in 2021 for 6yrs of psplus on top of two yrs of psplus and one year of now. When they revamped the the services my 8yrs of plus+ and 1 yr of now became 7yrs of premium. Also psplus was 30% off several times in November and December. If ppl are paying $10 a month or $80 a yr it’s because they want to just so they can complain about nothing. Psplus goes on sale all the time. Also u got ps stars points. Save your points wait for psplus sale and u can easily get psplus for a drastically reduced price.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
🙄 Destiny 2 is still $50 per expansion

And if you’re engaging in the live game’s seasonal content and endgame .. that’s another $12 bucks per season and the cost of the dungeon pass. $100 a year. The cluelesss have this misconception that seasons are just battle passes and cosmetics. Lol. Nah… legit paid content drops.

F2P is garbage. Everyone wants shit free so theyll champion it while ignoring that everything f2p not Fortnite, Apex or Warzone are flash in the pan and already dead.

Also you need to build the game to be f2p friendly. That can take a long time. SF6 could transition to f2p with a small starting roster once there’s enough dlc to monetize. Similar how a game doesn’t need to launch as a full blown live service but can turn into one. There’s stuff like genshin that come out the game swinging but most companies aren’t gonna bankroll a project so massive.

Sony and Bungie will most likely NOT launch ANY of these games f2p. Destiny is mostly a launcher and you buy everything a la carte. And it’s also ps plus paywalled to do anything matchmade.

Marathon might launch with a full msrp. Probably treat itself similarly to Rainbow Six Seige.

F2P is not the way to go. The only issue is the paywall being unfair for competition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Can Helldivers 2 be played fully solo with AI/human team mates? Thanks.

Helldivers I could be played solo. No AI/teammates in the first. You have to either matchmake or host to play with others. Hosting is actually very easy, you just make your session discoverable for others so people find you randomly or selectively (whichever way). Difficulty scales 1-15. You can even solo 15 but it's up there for the super skilled. Most when pushing cap at 12 or so about.

It’s either everything gets behind paywall or everything bypasses it. I just don’t see any hardware manufacturer canning and risking that revenue stream. So I lean towards everything getting behind.

No reason why Fortnite, Warzone and Apex should bypass. This is only meant to cater to the biggest winners… Fortnite and Activision. The f2p semantics thing is garbage. And most f2p games that launch die instantly. Didn’t help shit. It’s meant to keep Fortnite and Warzone dominant.

Now with activision being owned by your competition… makes even less sense to give Warzone a free pass when Destiny, Rainbow Six, GTA and every other major online game does not.

I’m okay with everything being behind the paywall. Right now it’s not a fair market even for their own published efforts. Helldivers, Destiny, Marathon, Concord… all will launch at full msrp and need an additional ps plus paywall while Warzone and Fortnite have full access to every ps console with an online connection…

Games other than the f2p giants are already in a gimped fight only having access ps plus subscribers … which are what? 45% of overall playerbase?

I’m okay with paywall with a variety of reasons. Best deterrent against cheaters in pvp and honestly… I think the freebies are a steal for what you get over the years. I’m okay with it.

I will also never game on pc so don’t care …
Much more refined take. Obviously disagree in that I think it should straight up die but this is much better elaborated. We do concur on the two-tier system penalizing traditional boxed titles - just horrible for the industry.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I paid $27.99 in 2021 for 6yrs of psplus on top of two yrs of psplus and one year of now. When they revamped the the services my 8yrs of plus+ and 1 yr of now became 7yrs of premium. Also psplus was 30% off several times in November and December. If ppl are paying $10 a month or $80 a yr it’s because they want to just so they can complain about nothing. Psplus goes on sale all the time. Also u got ps stars points. Save your points wait for psplus sale and u can easily get psplus for a drastically reduced price.
This isn't how shit works IRL, for every savvy deal-hunter there's ten whining eight year olds who just want Minecraft right now and their parents, who let the sub lapse, pay the full rate to get it back.