PS fans need to circle the wagon. Online Gaming gated by a subscription service (PS Plus Essential) is NOT acceptable, is wrong, and should STOP!

Should Sony stop paywalling online play behind PlayStation Plus Essensial subscrition service?

• Total voters
24 Jun 2022
imo paywalled online play would be ok if they provided a free tier, with some extra perks for paying.

That's basically what PS did in the PS3 era; PS+ was simply for the free monthly games, meanwhile the online access was of no charge.

People had so little issue with Microsoft charging for Xbox Live, though, that Sony copied suit. At least when they did, it was in the sea of an otherwise really good PS4 E3 press conference. Microsoft screwing up the XBO reveal also helped, but not by much.

The price increase today would've gone over a lot better if Sony announced new features and benefits arriving at the day of the increase to justify it. Especially when it's by this much, and so suddenly. Their messaging has been saggy-ass tier for a while now.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Yes, quite. The main and only issue is the lack of AAA games. As a matter of fact, Xbox still remains relevant primarily due to its ecosystem; otherwise, they might have exited the industry long ago
The only reason Xbox is relevant is primarily because of the infusion of money by Microsoft proper at every point of Xbox's existence to keep the operation afloat - it has drowned multiple times. From the OG Xbox to the X360 to today. The market has rejected MS/Xbox brand of business multiple times over and it's the reason they're currently in third place. They currently have a console that is declining in sales YoY % wise while in the prime of a console lifecycle.... projected to sell less than Xbox One lifetime. $77.5 billion to partially make it competitive content wise is not the sign of a better ecosystem, but a failed ecosystem - that is, family of products - whether that be the hardware, accessories, software-content, distribution model, pricing or what have you.

In other words, you're talking rubbish. The only question I've is whether you're being serious or just doing your trolling persona. Either or, rubbish.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Nvidia
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

is worse because of the lack of AAA games
The fact is that Xbox has a better ecosystem.
Xbox is worse and Nintendo is infant garbage

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Xbox is worse and Nintendo is infant garbage
again. The only reason why Xbox is alive is because of its ecosystem....is the only thing they have...If Xbox is able to release one AAA 90+MC game each quarter....You will see the biggest comback in the gaming history.
(Spolier alert: They will not). In fact, is because of its ecosystems the only "way out" for Xbox to have a relevant space in the gaming industry.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I have PS Plus stacked till 2028, anyone with half a brain would have done the same during a black friday sale.

If you are buying it year by year, it is your OWN fault. Crying to Sony isn't going to change anything

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's basically what PS did in the PS3 era; PS+ was simply for the free monthly games, meanwhile the online access was of no charge.

People had so little issue with Microsoft charging for Xbox Live, though, that Sony copied suit. At least when they did, it was in the sea of an otherwise really good PS4 E3 press conference. Microsoft screwing up the XBO reveal also helped, but not by much.

The price increase today would've gone over a lot better if Sony announced new features and benefits arriving at the day of the increase to justify it. Especially when it's by this much, and so suddenly. Their messaging has been saggy-ass tier for a while now.
I generally bought a year's worth of PS+ during black friday sales so it was like $30-40, at that price I don't mind it even though I rarely use the perks or play the free games - the occasional multiplayer game I play is fine enough. But $80 is fucked off all the way. there's no way I'm paying that for a service I barely use.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
$80 is boils down to a little more than $1.50 a week. And videogames are a luxury, not an essential good or service. It’s really not a big deal.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I have PS Plus stacked till 2028, anyone with half a brain would have done the same during a black friday sale.

If you are buying it year by year, it is your OWN fault. Crying to Sony isn't going to change anything
Not everyone is terminally online or cares enough to do crap like this

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Not everyone is terminally online or cares enough to do crap like this

Every time a subscription service increases it's price, you have a very vocal minority online complaining. Each time Netflix raises the price people complain, but still stay subbed.

We have people here boycotting Sony over this ans going to PC.

Even though a PC graphics card costs more than a ps5 itself

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Every time that happens you also have a minority of assholes that will drop in on the discussions to say they don't care about it but muster the energy to type that - obviously faking it and acting as if beyond it. Everyone is obviously interested in the fact that they "don't care". Then there are others that try to rationalize and justify the price increase as if paid PR, while doing it for free, using ridiculous rationales - the corporate bootlickers and ass sniffers of this world. On the one hand it's useless... while on the other they must shill for the masters from above cause they may be watching - notice me senpai!

You also have the rich, cool, smart badass archetypes..... "pull yourself by your bootstraps", "if you're poor it's your fault" types.... acting as if they have their tubs made of gold, and bath in money everyday so fuck everyone around them that is not at their level. When it's not the financial type, it's the intellectual type that proceeds to do mental masturbation. "Hey look at me!" types... trying to impress females at the wrong place and time.

Then there are the obvious fanboys of other "services", in this case gaming platforms trying to "stealthily" promote their platform of choice as if no one can see through them - master plan in execution.

The stupidity knows no bounds.

The question in the OP goes beyond the price increase as well and can be totally detached of it. The topic merely borrows the timing of the price increase to capitalize on attention and furor.

It's a simple question. Should online play be gated behind a subscription service? Is it OK, Acceptable or should it STOP?

Funny that the straw man that these minority archetypes argue against hardly addresses the main question. Dancing around a fire if you will.

Last edited:

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Helldivers 2 on PS5: $70 + paid online

Helldivers 2 on PC: $60 + free online

Unless of course it's an F2P game.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Helldivers 2 on PS5: $70 + paid online

Helldivers 2 on PC: $60 + free online

Unless of course it's an F2P game.

Now compare a graphics card to a ps5 in terms of price

Every time that happens you also have a minority of assholes that will drop in on the discussions to say they don't care about it but muster the energy to type that - obviously faking it and acting as if beyond it. Everyone is obviously interested in the fact that they "don't care". Then there are others that try to rationalize and justify the price increase as if paid PR, while doing it for free, using ridiculous rationales - the corporate bootlickers and ass sniffers of this world. On the one hand it's useless... while on the other they must shill for the masters from above cause they may be watching - notice me senpai!

You also have the rich, cool, smart badass archetypes..... "pull yourself by your bootstraps", "if you're poor it's your fault" types.... acting as if they have their tubs made of gold, and bath in money everyday so fuck everyone around them that is not at their level. When it's not the financial type, it's the intellectual type that proceeds to do mental masturbation. "Hey look at me!" types... trying to impress females at the wrong place and time.

Then there are the obvious fanboys of other "services", in this case gaming platforms trying to "stealthily" promote their platform of choice as if no one can see through them - master plan in execution.

The stupidity knows no bounds.

The question in the OP goes beyond the price increase as well and can be totally detached to it. The topic merely borrows the timing of the price increase to capitalize on attention and furor.

It's a simple question. Should online play be gated behind a subscription service? Is it OK, Acceptable or should it STOP?

Funny that the straw man that these minority archetypes argue against hardly addresses the main question. Dancing around a fire if you will.

It's $1.50 a week, if you are struggling to pay that then you have bigger problems in your life.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Now compare a graphics card to a ps5 in terms of price

It's $1.50 a week, if you are struggling to pay that then you have bigger problems in your life.
The question is not whether it's $1.50 per week and whether someone should be able to pay or not. Again, below:

Should online play be gated behind a subscription service? Is it OK, Acceptable or should it STOP?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The question is not whether it's $1.50 per week and whether someone should be able to pay or not. Again, below:

Should online play be gated behind a subscription service? Is it OK, Acceptable or should it STOP?

Servers cost money to maintain, Sony Microsoft and Nintendo are businesses not charities. The goal of a buisness is to make money.

If you don't want to pay that's your choice, but 49 million people have no problem paying despite what a small vocal minority of people on forums say.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Agree completely especially when you have Sony releasing games on PC.

What paywall do they have?

Gonna be a mess in the future if PS gamers are subscribing to PS Plus and PC players are playing the same product without it.

Personally it doesn’t affect me in the UK.

Its a 20 pound increase. 1.50 extra a month.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Servers cost money to maintain, Sony Microsoft and Nintendo are businesses not charities. The goal of a buisness is to make money.

If you don't want to pay that's your choice, but 49 million people have no problem paying despite what a small vocal minority of people on forums say.
Do I have to infer your support for an online paywall for online gaming? In this case a NO vote on the poll? Or is that a wrong interpretation of what you just wrote? Simple Yes or No answer. Dancing around it is the weirdest thing.

Edit: NO vote on poll - ok clear now. See, it's that easy.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Do I have to infer your support for an online paywall for online gaming? In this case a NO vote on the poll? Or is that a wrong interpretation of what you just wrote? Simple Yes or No answer. Dancing around it is the weirdest thing.

I've already voted No, Online gaming should be paid. I've already given reasons as to why.