PS fans need to circle the wagon. Online Gaming gated by a subscription service (PS Plus Essential) is NOT acceptable, is wrong, and should STOP!

Should Sony stop paywalling online play behind PlayStation Plus Essensial subscrition service?

• Total voters

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Console users decided long ago that paying twice to use your own internet is an essential part of the console gaming experience.

If ps fans didn't like it when sony announced paid online at the beginning of the 8th gen, they should have jumped ship to PC. They had no excuse. PC gaming was really affordable back then and PS4 had no backwards compatibility

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Banana

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The absurdity doesn't end there. If you analyze the market dynamics of it you realize that it's also bad for the industry as well. Wasn't there a study saying about 30% of PS Plus subscribers would drop PS Plus if not for the online paywall? That's about 14.2 million gamers out of the 47.5 million subs - spending $60 a year on a service they do not want or wish.

So, those $60 dollars, instead of rewarding a developer through the purchase of a game of the consumer's choice - the natural healthy thing - is instead going to fatten Sony's pockets. Now a $60 sale is not a big deal as it's the price of a single AAA game but when you break it down to say a $25 dollar sale for an indie game here, and a $15 sale of another game here it adds up and is consequential to those getting the proceeds. Translate that to 14.2 million gamers and we're talking about $852 million dollars per year that is not going into funding game developers in the traditional - healthy fashion. Sony literally choosing winners and losers here... in this case Sony first and foremost, and second being the sums they pay to devs for the couple games they give out per month.

MS and Xbox is even worse here... Xbox Live Gold, now Gamepass Core is worse on its "game offerings", and prior to the Xbox One, gave you literally nothing in return. It's not like MS cares much about the console space anyway - their goal will always be monopolistic control of the industry as a whole - a console is a means to an end to remove competitors blocking the realization of that goal. Fucking the industry in the process is a sacrifice they're more than willing to make.

I’ve made a similar post but some of the Kool-Aid Crew are quick to damage control. And you can tell who doesn’t actually play games online.

If it wasn’t with the paywall I wouldn’t bother with Plus on any tier. Already unsubbed from Extra and I’ve been a basic tier subscriber since the day the service went live… (cuz I’m forced to).

If I were to estimate total PS4 and PS5 consoles to be a potential playerbase of 160 million and that recent estimates of base PS Plus of 48 million being true… Unless we were to assume the remaining 110 million users don’t have internet; that’s a lot of players with an additional paywall in place for their favorite online game where something like Fortnite, Warzone 2.0, Apex and Overwatch 2 do not; or feature cost of entry to begin with.

Many of the industry’s most popular online games including GTA Online, Rainbow Six, Diablo 4, Destiny, Monster Hunter World, Forza Horizon, Fallout 76, Sea of Thieves, etc… all of these have an additional paywall for base console subscription plans on top of costs associated with buying the content you want to play just as if it were a boxed release (for the most part). And we have seen a never ending variety of approaches to trying to make this work.

We have all these publishers and studios chasing the growing market of live service games. It’s risky and we’ve seen many tragedies as a result from Anthem to Halo Infinite. This paywall is anti-competitive for any developer and publisher who finds a free-to-play launch too risky.

But let’s take the Sony angle here since I think it’s a bit more relevant to current events and of course the audience reading…

Let’s say Microsoft’s acquisition of ABK proceeds as planned. Now not only is Call of Duty at risk of being removed from PlayStation platforms but until then revenues made on PlayStation will go directly to their competitor. That’s fine as Sony is doing the same currently with MLB, Destiny and more to come.

And you would have to assume that somewhere amongst all these new live service efforts from Sony and any other studio working today is the hopes to take a piece of that pie from the F2P giants.

That paywall alone is kneecapping your own studios to keep the biggest publishers happy. We’ve just seen data and documents on how important CoD revenues are to both ABK and Sony. Let’s not forget that Fortnite being exclusive to the PS4 for a fair amount of time as well as it became the biggest game in the world. These relationships served all parties well with big bucks to be made.

So now what?

The easiest thing is to put everything behind base paywall and of course that’ll piss everyone off. So the next best thing is to remove it altogether.

Doing such would tank subscription numbers for both XBL Gold and base PS plus. For Xbox the transition to Gamepass only is effortless as their Gold software offerings are mostly throwaway and a separate subscription. For PlayStation a restructure and price re-evaluation of ps plus tiers would be nice. Base ps plus costs were mandatory for me so the additional $40 spent for extra was great value. But if I don’t need plus I probably won’t sub to Extra.

To put it in plainly… both hardware manufacturers are just fucking their own studios over.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yup, they have the gall to put exclusives on PC for cheaper and not obviously do not charge them for online functionality.

We are already paying enough for the games themselves to include online. Most games only use peer to peer anyway, so there's no costs on Sony.

Make online play free, along with cloud saves.

Then make extra cost 60 euro and premium 80 annually. That is the right price IMO.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The thing is: Almost nobody votes with their wallet on stuff like that. The reason why companies Love subscription services is they can increase the price and almost nobody will care. Netflix has shown that price increases for subscription services don‘t lead to many people canceling. Sonys 1st party games didn‘t suffer from increasing the price, PS5 price increase didn‘t matter at all.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don’t have a big issue with the actual price increase. Everything has gotten more expensive in every aspect of my life. They must do what they need to do to survive Bidenomics. It’s expected.

It’s just anti- competitive and that’s a huge problem. It’ll bite them in the ass when their own online games have a $70 paywall meanwhile Warzone and Fortnite skate by with zero entry frees.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don’t have a big issue with the actual price increase. Everything has gotten more expensive in every aspect of my life. They must do what they need to do survive Bidenomics.

Damn Biden for increasing my electricity bill 3 fold in Ireland. Damn Biden for my lost in purchasing power by >10% in 2 years in Ireland.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I must be the only person here who never play online or use playstation plus anymore...been like that since...maybe 2014....

I see game..i buy it...and its done....

But i still share the sentiment as you op...

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Nvidia
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

is worse because of the lack of AAA games
The fact is that Xbox has a better ecosystem.
If Xbox had a better ecosystem, it would be the market leader lol

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
again. The only reason why Xbox is alive is because of its ecosystem....is the only thing they have...If Xbox is able to release one AAA 90+MC game each quarter....You will see the biggest comback in the gaming history.
(Spolier alert: They will not). In fact, is because of its ecosystems the only "way out" for Xbox to have a relevant space in the gaming industry.
No u won’t. They had 90+ metacritic games that sold out sht didn’t chart, didn’t move consoles and didn’t even grow gamepass number. Phil Spencer literally said it himself even releasing an 11/10 game won’t change anything. Only way Xbox can make a “comeback” is if Nintendo or ps fail utterly in some way like the 360 era or the beginning of the 8th gen. Abk will bump Xbox up but not enough to surpass ps. They alrdy edge Nintendo in revenue but that’s slipping and they ain’t making fckall in profit atm idc what bs pr lies they say.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
If Xbox had a better ecosystem, it would be the market leader lol
Exactly! Their eco system even for their own ip is based on huge player bases on other platform. Most Minecraft revenue comes from pc, Nintendo, ps then Xbox in that order. Their console sales are tanking even with the abk deal closing likely soon. The board has set the goal of Xbox needing to bring in $32billion dollars every fiscal year by 2030 if they can’t manage that it’s rip for Xbox. I can see massive restructuring and gutting the division and turning it full 3rd prty. Rip!

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
No u won’t. They had 90+ metacritic games that sold out sht didn’t chart, didn’t move consoles and didn’t even grow gamepass number. Phil Spencer literally said it himself even releasing an 11/10 game won’t change anything. Only way Xbox can make a “comeback” is if Nintendo or ps fail utterly in some way like the 360 era or the beginning of the 8th gen. Abk will bump Xbox up but not enough to surpass ps. They alrdy edge Nintendo in revenue but that’s slipping and they ain’t making fckall in profit atm idc what bs pr lies they say.
lack of reading comprehension much?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Paid online made a lot more sense before online play became the main form of continuing monetization for most games. Its an annoying throwback now and I would like it to go away.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Paid online made a lot more sense before online play became the main form of continuing monetization for most games. Its an annoying throwback now and I would like it to go away.
Yeah when all games inevitably become live service & require an online connection just to play I don't know how they could justify it

Reactions: JAHGamer

EightC

11 Jul 2022
Online play should be free. I think they should still offer the PS+ service that should be centered around the games monthly they offer if you want that service. I mean PS+ is pretty much the same as game pass now with it's huge library of games and I know some people would like that I just don't see the purpose of paying for online play.

Reactions: JAHGamer

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
It's never happening. They're not giving up a huge revenue stream.

EVen if every single gamer on forums like these stopped paying, they wouldn't feel it. We're just a minority and can't change anything.

Cancelled my renewal as soon as the news broke but it won't do anything.
Yeah but bad press is still not favorable for any company. Especially one that supposedly prides itself on being “for the players”.

Threads here have the ability to gain real heat on X which does count for something. It shows there’s real dialogue happening and that contributes to the spread. Companies can’t just bribe journalists to shift the narrative the way they could before. It’s much easier for them to lose control of the discussion now with social media, primarily X.

Of course this is helped by users not flogging each other whenever criticism is presented. Nows not that time to be a staunch defender of this company.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yup, they have the gall to put exclusives on PC for cheaper and not obviously do not charge them for online functionality.

We are already paying enough for the games themselves to include online. Most games only use peer to peer anyway, so there's no costs on Sony.

Make online play free, along with cloud saves.

Then make extra cost 60 euro and premium 80 annually. That is the right price IMO.
Yep, it's sad that Sony and Microsoft have now made it a no brainer to go PC only. Free online + cheaper games (cdkeys) + mods and emulation.

Nintendo is keeping their games exclusive and selling more than ever, having more profit than both companies.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
To expand on this...

The first "modern era" paid console service was Xbox Live for the original Xbox. Building it went far beyond just "paid online." The service also included creating the original user interface, the user accounts, the online store, the web browser and services, the servers to host the content (a much bigger deal in 2004,) lots of "will it work" testing and planning, and lots of community features. That was what your (at the time) ten dollars a month was paying for. Almost all of that still exists, but its not part of Xbox Live or its competitors. Its all built into the main console now as core services. And monetizable services. The online store accounts for approximately half of game sales on most devices, and almost all DLC sales. In order to facilitate it the user accounts are now near universal, and every console launches with an out of game interface even if permanently in offline mode. The servers are cheap and intermingled with the game sale profit ones. The testing and planning are still there (and now content moderation too) as the lone hold-over to the old era. But almost all of what you originally paid for in 2004 now pays its own way by making or facilitating game sales or community connection. You are literally paying more for less.

And, bear in mind, a significant portion of the userbase does not pay into these systems and chooses to do without. I certainly am not giving Nintendo 20 dollars a year for the world's smallest selection of NES games. They lose sales here. Because I am not part of that ecosystem I am not tempted to buy Smash DLC, not tempted to buy Mario Maker or Splatoon, not tempted to continue playing Mario Kart (false statement: I give zero fucks about Mario Kart and do not own it.) Nintendo's output is, on the whole, "non-predatory" and thus things get even worse when you look at players like Microsoft who give less of a fuck. How many CoD battlepoints (or wtfe) have they missed a cut on due to people not playing online? How many people do not feel a personal connection to their Gamepass buddies because they were paywalled from the ecosystem? How many people don't ease into the MPFPS-sphere due to playing the freebie multiplayer part of a campaign shooter?

Reactions: Systemshock2023