PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
This is great news.

As soon as I get confirmation of PC drivers and adapters, I'm buying a PSVR2 for myself.

If Sony can't bother to make games for the platform, at least let us take advantage of the hardware on the PC.
The only problem will be to enable foveated rendering on the PC. AFAIK it's not part of any PC game so far, as there's no protocol for sending back gaze direction from the user to the game engine.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I don't follow up Quest. A Killer App in context a software that makes people want to rush out to buy a software. Spiderman 2 / Ragnarok those were that for PS5 for example. PSVR2 needs a mainstreamed casual experience that everyone can enjoy not just a subset of gamers.
Stop, that is just nonsense. Something like Beat Saber has a bigger impact on VR sales than Spider-man 2 or Ragnarok alone would have on PS5 sales.

The fact is, right now there can't be a VR killer app, it is a niche product and that is fine. The experience is already awesome it's just that people aren't willing to jump in at this stage.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Non are killer apps just great additions to the library.
So if the exclusivity of Gran Turismo 7, Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 4 Remake or a dedicated Horizon games aren't "killer apps" then what are killer apps for you?

Please also mention some exclusive Oculus 'killer apps' more important than these games as example.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Why not? I find it great to not have to worry about cable. I use Wireless link over cable even when playing on PC. My playing area is huge. At least 5x5 meters.
Psvr2 cable is very light. Why do you 5x5 meter anyway lmfao. What are you playing?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
So if the exclusivity of Gran Turismo 7, Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 4 Remake or a dedicated Horizon games aren't "killer apps" then what are killer apps for you?

Please also mention some Oculus 'killer apps' more important than these games.
Are they selling the system? Are people rushing out to buy a PSVR2 to play these games? Why is PSVR2 sales bombing with all these so called killer apps?

Why doesn't even existing owners of these games that has sold millions are rushing out to get a PSVR2??

A game like Astros Playroom would have probably been better for PSVR2 than all these y'all mentioning

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Psvr2 cable is very light. Why do you 5x5 meter anyway lmfao. What are you playing?
I got it last month, I mostly play Beat Saber and Half-Life Alyx.

It's fucking awesome walking around in Half-Life Alyx and not having to worry much about walls.

No cable is awesome, but a cable coming from the ceiling should fix that.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
I can see the releasing GT7 on PC this year, if they can it to launch with PSVR2 support on PC that will be massive.

Has potential to sell a shitload of games and headsets

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Are they selling the system? Are people rushing out to buy a PSVR2 to play these games? Why is PSVR2 sales bombing with all these so called killer apps?

Why doesn't even existing owners of these games that has sold millions are rushing out to get a PSVR2??

A game like Astros Playroom would have probably been better for PSVR2 than all these y'all mentioning
Several people have asked you to name a killer app several times and after several responses you still can’t 😂 This is what I mean, you’re just spreading FUD…Idk what PSVR2 did to you to deserve this hate but oh well, to each their own I guess 🤷‍♂️

This is great news.

As soon as I get confirmation of PC drivers and adapters, I'm buying a PSVR2 for myself.

If Sony can't bother to make games for the platform, at least let us take advantage of the hardware on the PC.
The only problem will be to enable foveated rendering on the PC. AFAIK it's not part of any PC game so far, as there's no protocol for sending back gaze direction from the user to the game engine.
This dude only comes around the forum to spread FUD 😂 especially when it pertains to PSVR2, @ToTTenTranz you don’t get bored of this nonsense? 🤔 I would’ve thought by now that you’d find better ways to troll, but I guess not

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
PCVR killer app is the mod that lets you play a lot of non VRgsmes on it. I think it's called vorpx.

My next rig was going to be all about VR. I thought that by 2024 VR would have it's DOOM/Mario 64/GTA 3 moment
Sadly it has not been the case.

24 Jun 2022
Well, that's one way to boost sales for the peripheral. But hopefully they have longer-term plans for driving adoption rates, chiefly:

1: More PS5 games with PSVR2 support

2: Price reductions on the headset

3: Developments to scale down production costs so cheaper headsets can be manufactured and sold for more entry-level prices (this would be especially beneficial for the PS6)

If they have a roadmap to get those things done in a reasonable time frame, adding PC support for PSVR2 is a good and I'd say, logical first step.

I would not root for walled gardens in an era where VR needs all the help it can get to grow. Release Steam VR and Half Life Alyx under every platform that meets specs if necessary.

Or, walled gardens can offer more competitive options to attract players to adopt what's being offered. I don't think PSVR2 support for PC is a bad thing at all, but it's only a band-aid to deeper issues that might be suppressing demand, and I just named them above. But to brief recap:

1: Lack of notable software support

2: High MSRP (for a peripheral)

3: Lack of sensible scale-down of production costs

The PC support can help with (1) and potentially partly (2), but it cannot really help with (3) at all. That is something Sony should be (and I hope are) working on BTS so newer headsets can be provided at more price-conscious MSRPs.

Expanding support of the current headset to PC, in that sense, is mostly a temporary solution IMHO. Again great that it's happening, but it alone can't address the three points I just mentioned.

I can see the releasing GT7 on PC this year, if they can it to launch with PSVR2 support on PC that will be massive.

Has potential to sell a shitload of games and headsets

And what do players on the console get with that, in terms of expansive new content or a new similar scale game that's exclusive to the console, within 1-2 years of a PC port for GT7 (hypothetically) coming this year?

Don't forget to stop asking that question, it will become more and more important over time.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Several people have asked you to name a killer app several times and after several responses you still can’t 😂 This is what I mean, you’re just spreading FUD…Idk what PSVR2 did to you to deserve this hate but oh well, to each their own I guess 🤷‍♂️

Nobody in here has also listed a killer app. None of the games mentioned has moved hardware so what now? As I said the hardware needs a more streamlined casual experience with more mass appeal. Obviously I can't pin point exactly what that would be. I just think w hardware like this needs something similar to how the Wii for instance made everyone wanna try motions control with it's packed software.

Th average person who isn't tuned into VR gaming isn't scouting out RE4 OR GT7 that's a hardcore gamer niche .

As someone mentioned maybe GT7 can have an impact on PC whenever they allow compatibility.

I don't hate PSVR2 lol.

I also think they can do more with VR beyond games. Movies and app support should be a thing

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Finally a proper cinema app hopefully. But I question the strategy of such a move 🤔

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
PCVR killer app is the mod that lets you play a lot of non VRgsmes on it. I think it's called vorpx.

My next rig was going to be all about VR. I thought that by 2024 VR would have it's DOOM/Mario 64/GTA 3 moment
Sadly it has not been the case.
I saw one that looks really cool where you can sit in front of a virtual crt TV & play classic games (sega mega drive collection let's you do that in psvr) I'd love something like that where you can decorate your room & pick different TV models & stuff basically just living in my own virtual nostalgia bubble lol

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Finally a proper cinema app hopefully. But I question the strategy of such a move 🤔
the hardware is dying on the vine anyway. this will at least make it useful for existing PC games. fingers crossed, it'll lead to more developer support.