PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024

24 Jun 2022
Apparently this is NOT native support; it's a streaming client solution so PSVR2 users can access PCVR games via streaming.

So in other words, it's kind of like a PS Portal approach.

Well that changes a lot of things then. I HOPE this is an early means to testing feasibility of streaming VR content to the headset because I will hold on to the dream of PS6 having a native entry-level VR headset as part of the default experience until I can't dream anymore. And in order for that to be realized, they'd need to test feasibility of streaming VR content to the current headset at least.

This also gives PS5 owners additional VR games to play, via streaming, and if they want to play the PCVR games natively, they can just get a PCVR headset. Maybe sometime in the future Sony make PSVR2 natively compatible with PC but apparently that isn't the focus with the planned update.

Also, we’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.

The wording is a bit weird but it seems to be directed at current PSVR2 owners on the console accessing more games via PS in addition to what they already access on console. "Additional games" wouldn't necessarily mean ports of 1P games with VR support to PC as that wouldn't be an additional for PS5 owners who can already play those games with the PSVR2.

In this context it likely means some means of streaming say Steam VR games to the PSVR2, maybe through the PS5 or something acting as a midpoint. Which I imagine would be great for console users who have the headset and would like more games. Maybe this is how PSVR2 gets Half-Life: Alyx (via streaming only tho) 😁

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Apparently this is NOT native support; it's a streaming client solution so PSVR2 users can access PCVR games via streaming.

So in other words, it's kind of like a PS Portal approach.

Well that changes a lot of things then. I HOPE this is an early means to testing feasibility of streaming VR content to the headset because I will hold on to the dream of PS6 having a native entry-level VR headset as part of the default experience until I can't dream anymore. And in order for that to be realized, they'd need to test feasibility of streaming VR content to the current headset at least.

This also gives PS5 owners additional VR games to play, via streaming, and if they want to play the PCVR games natively, they can just get a PCVR headset. Maybe sometime in the future Sony make PSVR2 natively compatible with PC but apparently that isn't the focus with the planned update.

The wording is a bit weird but it seems to be directed at current PSVR2 owners on the console accessing more games via PS in addition to what they already access on console. "Additional games" wouldn't necessarily mean ports of 1P games with VR support to PC as that wouldn't be an additional for PS5 owners who can already play those games with the PSVR2.

In this context it likely means some means of streaming say Steam VR games to the PSVR2, maybe through the PS5 or something acting as a midpoint. Which I imagine would be great for console users who have the headset and would like more games. Maybe this is how PSVR2 gets Half-Life: Alyx (via streaming only tho) 😁
Where did you see this? I’m pretty sure it’s just native support?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
But it's going to be aiming for an extremely small audience then:

Users that have a VR Ready pc but not a headset, but for some reason have a PS5 AND PSVR2.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Users that have a VR Ready pc but not a headset, but for some reason have a PS5 AND PSVR2.
I have a PC, a Quest 2 and a PS5.

I'll now sell my Quest 2 and get a PSVR2.

I could see a lot of people that are interested in PCVR already having a PS5 but maybe not feeling like buying two different headset. To me the idea of buying two VR headsets sounded a lot like having to two TVs.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Smart move by PlayStation. Now if the Portal can get added support as well with cloud streaming. Good to see Sony is providing updates to these hardware.

24 Jun 2022
Where did you see this? I’m pretty sure it’s just native support?

Well there is a Reset thread on it and some users were commenting that another person there knew (or had a good feeling) it was more a solution of a streaming client for PSVR2 of PC VR games.

Also if you logically think it out from a business POV, a streaming client for PC VR games on PSVR2 would make a lot more sense. Making PSVR2 natively compatible on PC would basically get rid of a driving incentive for some users to buy a PS5 (even if that particular audience isn't large), not to mention be somewhat a bad showing for the PS5 owners who already purchased a PSVR2 expecting more long-term support on the console side, especially if Sony made no efforts to bring PC-side VR features to console for PSVR2 on their own console device.

Additionally, it'd crater the chances of future VR ports to PSVR2 which again negatively impacts console owners, because if the device can just run the PC versions of the games then 3P will have no incentive to do a PS5 build of the game for PSVR2 support. Which ultimately, means less sales of 3P games on PS5 because even if the amount of PS5 owners buying those games for PSVR2 support is small (say ~ 5% of all PS5 owners at best), that is still some percentage of users (say, 50% - 60% of that 5%) who will likely just not buy the PS5 version and get the PC version instead, if PSVR2 can natively work on PC and play PC VR titles.

So from a business economics POV, it's not a great idea to make it natively compatible on PC especially since Sony might not have particularly high profit margins on the headset itself. The uptick in PC gamers who'd buy a PSVR2 due to native PC VR compatibility would not be enough to offset PSVR2 owners on PS5 who shift to purchasing future releases on PC if they want VR support, since they already have a device (PSVR2) that would be natively compatible on PC. Plus, that native compatibility would drive down desire for 3P to bother porting VR-only titles to PS5 for PSVR2 console-side (or skip adding VR modes to normal games for the PS5 versions).

That ultimately negatively impacts the console users, especially those who bought the headset expecting more VR content for PS5 specifically. But a streaming client for PC VR games on PSVR2 would avoid those problems: console owners would be getting more out of their PSVR2s without needing to invest in a PC to do so, and even PC users get some usage potentially if the streaming solution extends to cloud, and Sony roll it into a cloud gaming client for PC (so if you're on PC, you can use a PS Portal, or a PSVR2 as examples).

Plus let's not pretend like modders won't try getting PSVR2 more compatible on PC at the hobbyist level anyway.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I think VR gaming is not yet in a state where corporations should try to defend their walled gardens, but to do a joint effort to grow the market.

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake
24 Jun 2022
I think VR gaming is not yet in a state where corporations should try to defend their walled gardens, but to do a joint effort to grow the market.

How is it a joint effort if Sony makes PSVR2 natively compatible on places like Steam, yet Valve still don't port games like Half-Life: Alyx to PS5 for console owners who have a PSVR2?

That would be a real example of "joint efforts" to grow the VR market IMHO, but it doesn't seem Valve are interested in doing such ports at all. Therefore if it's a one-sided transaction, there's little if anything "joint" about it.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Kinda excited for this, can't wait to use this in DCS.

The only other option for PCVR that worthwhile right now are Valve Index and Quest Pro, and both are expensive af.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
How is it a joint effort if Sony makes PSVR2 natively compatible on places like Steam, yet Valve still don't port games like Half-Life: Alyx to PS5 for console owners who have a PSVR2?

That would be a real example of "joint efforts" to grow the VR market IMHO, but it doesn't seem Valve are interested in doing such ports at all. Therefore if it's a one-sided transaction, there's little if anything "joint" about it.

I don't know. Lots of games don't have VR versions on PC and should have like RE7 and RE4make. Maybe Sony struck a deal with Capcom to keep them away from PC.

Either way I think those moves are terrible for VR as a whole. I don't think many people buy VR for a single game but when it gets that critical mass of good games, great price point and ease of use, that's when VR will become a hit.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well now I can watch... um... videos on my psvr2. I suppose I should be happy about this.

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Well now I can watch... um... videos on my psvr2. I suppose I should be happy about this.
You can do that in the original PSVR. The base resolution of that thing is enough to good videos playback, and Youtube supports VR

The problem is the right 3D surround setup. That is quite expensive... plus Sony also does not support Dolby Atmos Surrond

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Actually the Tempest solution works really well for 3D audio, a shitty headphones can get amazing results but some reasons they don't supports Media apps.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Well there is a Reset thread on it
let me stop you right there GIF

Reactions: Systemshock2023