PS5 accounted for over 50% of all game consoles sold during Q1 2023, in the UK

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That's actually kind of surprising. Usually the takes on era are about how much they hope Playstation loses/dies.

They were the best posts I found so far... I'm just having a look to see if there are any opinions that actually add anything to the discussion...

Most of the opinions over there are really misguided but quite a few have started to understand how PC ports are hurting Xbox but they limit their criticism to 'Day 1 PC releases', I think ANY PC release hurts a console.

Sony shouldn't port any of their big single player games, as i often say...

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Do you guys think xbox collapsing WW like this is intentional on Microsoft's part to appear weak for regulators or just down to general incompetence? I genuinely cant tell. On one hand i could buy that its on purpose to appear weak for regulators but theyve been doing this bad for along time now so it could just be to incompetence? Its like they refuse to acknowledge a game console needs games and want to do everything else but that.
no
i told them the series S would not make anyone buy an Xbox, they didn’t believe me

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The CMA must stop this monopoly blocking the ABK acquisition... oh, wait!

Yeah, lock him in jail! Only half of the console market in UK!
I believe the best is the deal to be approved already.
It will blury AB franchies but that is what they choose to.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Yeah, lock him in jail! Only over half of the console market in UK! 🤡
Well, tbf, the CMA is worried about cloud monopoly, not console monopoly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
i told them the series S would not make anyone buy an Xbox, they didn’t believe me
I tried to explain that in a Brazilian forum some days ago... I was replied several times with comments from people that it was a smart move from MS.
When I showed them data they shifted that US market is different from Brazilian market (it is not) and so Series S was still genial for Brazilian market lol

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I believe the best is the deal to be approved already.
It will blury AB franchies but that is what they choose to.
Well, independently if they are acquired or not (I think they will), I expect to see all the Activision studios to continue focused on CoD with the exception of a single studio to work on Crash or Spyro from time to time. Regarding Blizzard, I think Overwatch and Warcraft will continue decreasing their popularity, but Diablo IV I think will be fine. I don't have high hopes for their new IP. I am not sure about Starcraft 3 but it has potential to be a huge success in Korea and China.

I tried to explain that in a Brazilian forum some days ago... I was replied several times with comments from people that it was a smart move from MS.
When I showed them data they shifted that US market is different from Brazilian market (it is not) and so Series S was still genial for Brazilian market lol
Well, for these markets where consoles are too insanely expensive Series S is a great idea, specially now that with crossgen games they run well. The problem I think is that these countries represent a small portion of the global market. And I assume it's going to be a bigger issue in the future with high end next gen only engines start to take advantage of the next gen hardware.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well, independently if they are acquired or not (I think they will), I expect to see all the Activision studios to continue focused on CoD with the exception of a single studio to work on Crash or Spyro from time to time. Regarding Blizzard, I think Overwatch and Warcraft will continue decreasing their popularity, but Diablo IV I think will be fine. I don't have high hopes for their new IP. I am not sure about Starcraft 3 but it has potential to be a huge success in Korea and China.
Well you know they basically left the Korea & China market... at least for now :D

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Yeah, lock him in jail! Only over half of the console market in UK! 🤡
People are too focused on the monopoly things. The real issues are anti competitive tactics. using a major corporation to subsidize a small part of it to bleed the competition out is anti competitive and is the issue here.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Frustrated Give Up GIF by The Bachelor

It’s time for MS to pack up.

If they are getting destroyed this badly in their second strongest market then then I shudder to think how bad it is in the rest of the world. This is way worse than the XB1 generation and now they have two consoles on the market and have already bought Bathesda with Activision on the way. Not even COD will save them from this level of destruction they are facing with the PS5. It’s looking like it’s time for them to abandon this console adventure and go full third party and into the cloud.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Me too but sometimes I think what will be of Activision Blizzard if that deal doesn't go ahead?
I assume MS will try it again but buying only a portion of the company and selling the rest to somebody else.

It’s time for MS to pack up.

If they are getting destroyed this badly in their second strongest market then then I shudder to think how bad it is in the rest of the world.
To be fair, Sony had a 45% of the worldwide console market during PS4, and they aim with PS5 to rise it to 55%. If it's a 50% globally with Switch now starting to sunset I don't think it will be a disaster for MS.

But yes, I think it would be a good idea to start doing a Sega, shut down Xbox console at the end of this generation and complete their transition to become a full multiplatform 3rd party.