PS5 hits 61m as Sony’s year-on-year Q1 hardware sales fall but operating income rises

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
In Sony‘s latest financial results covering the Q1 period for its financial year 2024 (the period between April 1 and June 30), the company says 2.4 million PS5 consoles were sold.

This is down on the 3.3 million PS5 consoles sold during the Q1 period last year, but nevertheless brings the total number of PS5 sales to date up to 61.7 million.

The results were generally positive for Sony’s gaming division overall, with Q1 sales in the ‘Games & Network Services’ segment up 12% year-on-year and operating income up 32% (from ¥49.2b / $335m up to ¥65.2b / $443m).

In its summary, Sony attributes the year-on-year increase to the impact of foreign exhange rates, the increase in sales of first-party game software titles and the “increase in sales from network services, mainly PlayStation Plus”.

However, it does acknowledge a “decrease in sales of hardware due to a decrease in unit sales”.

Despite an overall increase in income from software sales, Sony also reports that software unit sales are down year-on-year, with 53.6 million units sold in Q1 2024 compared to 56.5 million units during the same period last year.

Tokyo-based industry consultant Dr Serkan Toto told VGC: “Given Sony is going through a rather silent 2024 software-wise, the numbers actually look quite solid.

“For instance, you can see the positive effect on sales from the price increase for PlayStation Plus in their numbers.

“The big weak spot, however, is hardware sales. The year on year drop is not surprising but quite significant. Sony can only hope that Astro Bot or the one or other new game coming this year will make people go out and buy PS5s again.”

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
wy80ZEY.png

Comparison with PS4

jWJEdM4.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/24q1_supplement.pdf

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Is it me or PS5 managed to get close a little to PS4 launch aligned?? Wasn't there a difference more than 2 million before?

• haha
Reactions: KvallyX

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This quarter:
  • SIE made more operating profit than Nintendo
  • SIE game revenue outside PS (mostly PC) more than doubled YoY
  • SIE made more revenue with their games outside PS than with all physical game sales on PS
  • Hardware sales decreased due to being in the second half of the console lifecycle, but basically everything else improved YoY (PSN MAU and revenue from game sales in PS and outside, addons, accesories, PSN MAU...), in many cases achieving all time records

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Is it me or PS5 managed to get close a little to PS4 launch aligned?? Wasn't there a difference more than 2 million before?

You have posted the chart yourself, shouldn't be to hard to read it....

Got closer last quarter (900k in favor of PS4), but PS4 is pulling away again (1,8M in favor of PS4).

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Next year should be interesting if GTA 6 does indeed release in moving casuals over. But i don’t doubt that the pc move has shrunk the console base. Maybe that leakage of players is eventually replaced when xbox stops making hardware

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Next year should be interesting if GTA 6 does indeed release in moving casuals over. But i don’t doubt that the pc move has shrunk the console base. Maybe that leakage of players is eventually replaced when xbox stops making hardware

Xbox is as good as dead already and Switch is at EOL, PS5 basically has no competition beside PC at the moment.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
You have posted the chart yourself, shouldn't be to hard to read it....

Got closer last quarter (900k in favor of PS4), but PS4 is pulling away again (1,8M in favor of PS4).

Got much closer. Difference was over 2 mil. before.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Again, comparing no new releases to releasing PC ports. Stop with the misinformation to push your agenda.

Yep, only shows the level of ball-licking some of these ChatGPT accounts have reached.

Yet their PC sales must be abysmally low, as they only updated the Helldivers 2 ones, yet recently released ones like Forbidden West or GoT still only have their last reported PS5 numbers.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and JAHGamer

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Got much closer. Difference was over 2 mil. before.

Dude, you posted the chart yourself, it's there for you to check the numbers yourself. Before this report the last reported difference was 900k, it's doubled to 1.8M now. You can't be this dense.

Last edited:

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Dude, you posted the chart yourself, it's there for you to check the numbers yourself. Before this report the last reported difference was 900k, it's doubled to 1,8M now. You can't be this dense.

I know. Just saying that difference was bigger before, over 2 million, yes. That's why i've said "is it me or difference was bigger before". I know it was and it was all dooming and glooming

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I know. Just saying that difference was bigger before, over 2 million, yes. That's why i've said "is it me or difference was bigger before". I know it was and it was all dooming and glooming
So what? At one point the PS5 was ahead of PS4. Nobody is going around saying "weren't they closer in the past?". You are arguing for the sake of it.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
So what? At one point the PS5 was ahead of PS4. Nobody is going around saying "weren't they closer in the past?". You are arguing for the sake of it.

But there was a doomposting how PS5 is done because PS5 is behind PS4 for more than a 2 million and Jim Ryan fucked up badly. :/ Easy to find these posts here. But people are forgetting PS4 was priced in 2018 299$ ( 199$ Spiderman bundle during holidays ).

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
But there was a doomposting how PS5 is done because PS5 is behind PS4 for more than a 2 million and Jim Ryan fucked up badly. :/ Easy to find these posts here. But people are forgetting PS4 was priced in 2018 299$ ( 199$ Spiderman bundle during holidays ).

Again, you are arguing for the sake of it. You go cry to @Sircaw for doom posts, yet here you are instigating them.

Reactions: JAHGamer

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I can remember vaguely a topic about it was a difference (deduced) of 2,4 million with the PS4 at that time and a discussion about EU trending behind while others regions were ahead of PS4 (so EU was behind more). Believe was based on VG chart guesstimation something in 3.3 million tho and got closed.

That said Q1 down in comparison last year but in line with previous years. Passed the 60, curious how it's gonna look with eventual PS5 Pro this year. And personally believe if they manage to get close to 80 million this fiscal before GTA6 is out, they can get the boost towards 100 quicker than expected.