PS5 price to increase in select markets due to global economic environment, including high inflation rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I doubt it, they actually want to succeed.

Jim Ryan is a disaster... he wants to fill his pockets and fuck the company in the long term, he obviously doesn't care about console gaming.
He talks bullshit about hundreds of millions playing their games and then he does this.... he is pure scum, he needs to be out.
not like this GIF

Jim Ryan is an OG
The Original Gangsta
He's been with PlayStation from the very start (1993/1994)
He is the savior of Sony we needed

JIMBO DEFENSCE FORCE UNITE
He Man Reaction GIF

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just to add what I found weird was a global announcement from Sony.

When prices changes happens (increase or decrease) Sony/MS usually announces in local market news only.

I’m interested to know if it is related to spike in prices from TSMC that has been being talked in recent years.

BTW already announced a new 9% price increase starting in 2023 just after a price increase between 10% to 20% in 2022:

In 2021 the price increase was smaller but TSMC still increased it.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Not a console.

Personally I have never witnessed a console price increasing after launch. Bizarre even with inflation.

You need a lesson in whats called exchange rates. Right now Gas/Petroleum is still super high. How do you think these consoles get to places around the world? Also there's terrifs for some countries and right now we are in a global economic crisis. Which means everything goes up, on top of that exchange rates are so volatile that it also contributes. On top of cost of resources across the board. I mean in the late 90's to early 2000's exchange rates for certain countries regions made PS2 $900!!

We are in w weird time, covid on top of a war in Ukraine, has caused a huge discrepancies in global economy.

It will come back down at somepoint. But it's a ripple effect caused by many factors. And those companies not uber rich like Microsoft where they can weather a storm like this, things like this happen.

It sucks, but until the war is over, and pipelines, product resources get back in-line its going to be a thing for a while.

D

Deleted member 13

I can say this though.. I very seriously doubt their will be any mid-gen console.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Demand and inflation must be through the fucking roof for sie.

Gotta give Jim credit, the guy does what HE wants to do, and whatever he needs to do to position the brand towards profits which they will need considering they are competing against a trillion dollar company that can give 2 shits about money.

Have to respect that type of leadership.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sony still getting less from EU PS5 than US PS5 even with the increase.

US: $499 (base price)
EU Before: €499.99 - ~20% VAT = €416.66 = ~$412.60
EU After: €549.99 - ~20% VAT = €458.30 = ~$456.60

Edit - Fixed VAT calc.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

EU Before: €499.99 - ~20% VAT = €399.99 = ~$398.90
EU After: €549.99 - ~20% VAT = €439.20 = ~$437.90
Your math is fudged because you just did -20%. The actual way to calculate this is 500/1.20 = 416.66 and 550/1.20 = 458.33

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Typically you drop bad news at the end of the day on Friday, and drop some good news to soften the blow. Its weird how they decided to drop this thursday morning in the middle of gamescom.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

EU Before: €499.99 - ~20% VAT = €399.99 = ~$398.90
EU After: €549.99 - ~20% VAT = €439.20 = ~$437.90

VAT is deductible in most EU countries, so most companies can get away with "not refunding VAT" if they have the appropriate deductibles. Saying they are getting less could actually be wrong. Also, your math is wrong. @Bernd Lauert has the correct math.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
VAT is deductible in most EU countries, so most companies can get away with "not refunding VAT" if they have the appropriate deductibles. Saying they are getting less could actually be wrong. Also, your math is wrong. @Bernd Lauert has the correct math.
Sony is getting less.
If you apply the exchange rate then they are getting way less... Dollar become stronger over Yen so Sony is getting more from US consoles sales while at the same time Euro become weakened compared with Yen that made Sony getting even less from EU.

I tried to stay simple but the difference is bigger than what I posted due Yen exchange rates.

US PS5 sales gone from like ~55000 Yen to ~65000 Yen from launch to today.
Sony is making more money from US PS5 than they did at launch.
The opposite is happening with Europe and others countries... Sony is making less money from these countries than what they did at launch... so one of the reasons of the spike in price.

PS. I don't factored costs that wich for example the TSMC's APU increase over 20% since launch... that is the other reason of the spike in price.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW the elephant in the room.

PSVR2 price.

It cost will be way higher than PS5 and Sony will need to heavy subsidie it.
But to what extend? What is the middle term to Sony in subsidize and loses in each unit?

US will probably will have a more reasonable price? But other countries? I have the impression that in most countries PSVR2 will be more expensive than PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.