PS5 price to increase in select markets due to global economic environment, including high inflation rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
Wow... Jim Ryan is a moron.
Yeah this is straight up offensive. Especially considering they even said that the damn thing was profitable and 2 years is usually the time consoles see their first price DROP

For reference PS4 got it's first price drop just under 2 years after launch

PS2 got it's also 2 years after launch

I know the PS3 got "price drops" but those were mostly clearing out hardware based backwards compatible units. Then it got some serious drops

Gh0stnTheBashShell

30 Jun 2022
BTW the elephant in the room.

PSVR2 price.

It cost will be way higher than PS5 and Sony will need to heavy subsidie it.
But to what extend? What is the middle term to Sony in subsidize and loses in each unit?

US will probably will have a more reasonable price? But other countries? I have the impression that in most countries PSVR2 will be more expensive than PS5.
Imagine defending price increases of already released hardware. I'm going to be blunt, I could give a shit what they have to subsidize but to increase the price in regions they're already screwing over with game pricing is beyond scummy.

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
BTW the elephant in the room.

PSVR2 price.

It cost will be way higher than PS5 and Sony will need to heavy subsidie it.
But to what extend? What is the middle term to Sony in subsidize and loses in each unit?

US will probably will have a more reasonable price? But other countries? I have the impression that in most countries PSVR2 will be more expensive than PS5.
Way higher?

If it's over £480 they're going to struggle to sell in big quantities.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
You would think some big (good?) news would be around the corner but with sonys radio silence as of late who knows.

Reactions: Umar

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You would think some big (good?) news would be around the corner but with sonys radio silence as of late who knows.
They need it. But do sony do that? I don't recall much positivity after alot of the other stuff they got negative press for. Announcing they are shutting down ps3 store,(then back tracking) $70 price rises. They seem to be riding on goodwill from the fans.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The cost is... the actual price can not be.
There is no big quantities I believe... the last estimate was 1.5m units at launch.
Oh right yeah I think I misread your post.

I'm hoping for £300, but perhaps £350 is more realistic?

P

peter42O

Wow!!! And here I thought that this was bullshit on Twitter. I guess not.

Someone should tell Jim Ryan he's going in the wrong direction on the expressway. lmao

I wonder if Microsoft follows suit or stay as is. If they have any intelligence whatsoever, they will stay as is and if anything come November/December, I would put Series X/S on sale for $400/$200 or whatever the equivalent would be in other regions outside of the U.S.

Do people here still think Sony hits their 33m or so sales target by March 31st, 2023? I can't imagine that this would help in any way, shape or form.

People really think jim ryan is the person who raised the price?

No. It's obviously the corporate people up top within Sony but like with Spencer for Xbox, anything good or bad for PlayStation is going to come down on Jim Ryan because like Phil, he's "the man" for the brand.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Yeah this is straight up offensive. Especially considering they even said that the damn thing was profitable and 2 years is usually the time consoles see their first price DROP

For reference PS4 got it's first price drop just under 2 years after launch

PS2 got it's also 2 years after launch

I know the PS3 got "price drops" but those were mostly clearing out hardware based backwards compatible units. Then it got some serious drops
Jim Ryan said the disc version of PS5 finally was being sold at a break even price in June of 2021: https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne... more good news for,since this time last year.

The Digital edition was still being sold at a loss. This was before TSMC raised prices in 2022, the war in ukraine, and inflation plus gas prices have gone up crazy since June.

Reactions: Umar

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
God dammit jim go 2 seconds without fucking something else up.

Can you imagine if jim called the shots during ps3/ps4 era transition. No playstation comeback thats for sure. And i know dude did alot to help grow playstation in europe, but that was under guys like kaz.
Its funny when he was in president of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, that part of PlayStation was the most competitive as PS3 lost to 360 and Wii in North America and to the Wii in Japan. So a comeback would of been the hardest for him because he probably wouldn't of got Sony in the trouble they were in during the 7th gen in the first place

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
I doubt it, they actually want to succeed.

Jim Ryan is a disaster... he wants to fill his pockets and fuck the company in the long term, he obviously doesn't care about console gaming.
He talks bullshit about hundreds of millions playing their games and then he does this.... he is pure scum, he needs to be out.
He's the CEO of Sony Interactive. It's his job to make as much money as possible for the organization. I believe their last earnings showed some good profits and this is the latest move to get more money. Maybe more competition will get them to lower prices. This is why we want a robust market with multiple companies fighting for your hard earned money.

Status
Not open for further replies.