PS5 Pro codenamed ‘PROJECT TRINITY’ details and release date

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I can’t see them launching another Xbox. They would have to leave series s behind since it’s already a handicap. I mean they could just screw over owners of that last gen trash but … too late.

S seemed smart before Covid but then we saw how huge demand was for ps5 during and both manufacturers wouldn’t have had a hard time at all selling every $600 machine.

And it’s clear now this is gonna be as long if not longer that 360/ps3 gen. So … tough shit for Microsoft I guess?

Reactions: Box

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS5 Pro die gonna be around 340-360mm based on my calculation if Sony make one.

In comparison Xbox Series X die is around 360mm, and the cooling solution is much more expensive.

MS can't simply lower Xbox Series X price without losing more money albeit, if Sony prices it 500 USD without a disc drive.

Best they can do is reduce the Series mm node, but they also sharing node between 2 console SKU, doing that would require another 2 redesign and well, it also costs a lot of money.

The cooling solution on the PS5 is way more expensive than the one on Xbox.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The cooling solution on the PS5 is way more expensive than the one on Xbox.
Vapor chamber is ways more expensive than just a bunch of aluminum heat pipe and sink, because well copper heat speader?

Liquid metal just doesn't cost that much, I doubt that an ounce of cost more than 1 USD.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Vapor chamber is ways more expensive than just a bunch of aluminum heat pipe and sink, because well copper heat speader?

Liquid metal just doesn't cost that much, I doubt that an ounce of cost more than 1 USD.

PS5s cooling solution is more expensive

The Xbox being more expensive to manufacture comes down to MS having zero bargaining power when they are producing half the consoles and spreading their wafers into two APUs.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I feel like if Xbox had their own mid gen refresh planned anytime soon it would have leaked by now. They are notoriously bad at keeping secrets.
Theirs could just end up releasing one year later like the Xbox One X, despite the fact it didn't sell well at all MS seems to look at it as a success since they got to pivot their entire market to having the stronger console (despite that not bein the case for the vast majority of their installed base, just like it is happening now).

Despite how absurd it sound for MS to not release a mid gen refresh I can't see how they stay in the console business if they don't.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
2024 PS5 Pro is the perfect move for Sony, we can tell that by how these Xbots are freaking out.

It would be hilarious to see MS trying to sell their own version of a Pro console in 2025.

If there is no PS5 Pro then Jim Ryan is a lost cause and irredeemable.
You can already see the spin in some posts. People act like die size comparisons between series X and ps5 pro means that they will perform "similar", which is even worse than using Mhz as the only measuring stick in a dick measurement competition.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I honestly can't see Microsoft releasing a new console, but to basically allow Sony to fill the advertising space with " The most powerful console ever and plays best on and looks best on our hardware will be an absolute disaster for them in terms of PR.

They are already losing heavily in the console war and to concede even more ground, well thats going to barrel of laughs to see.

Just imagine trying to sell 3 different systems at xmas.

God help the parents.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I honestly can't see Microsoft releasing a new console, but to basically allow Sony to fill the advertising space with " The most powerful console ever and plays best on and looks best on our hardware will be an absolute disaster for them in terms of PR.

They are already losing heavily in the console war and to concede even more ground, well thats going to barrel of laughs to see.

Just imagine trying to sell 3 different systems at xmas.

God help the parents.
And parents would buy SS anyways.
So m$ have decision: to chase clout and billions debt or do business.

Reactions: Sircaw

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
And parents would buy SS anyways.
So m$ have decision: to chase clout and billions debt or do business.
To be fair m$ have always been a bloated machine, Windows and Office are garbage that has no good direction whatsoever. It is only sucess because they have a monopoly

They can't force themselves into gaming without a monopoly first.
:unsure:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You guys get very defensive over stuff that isn't there.

The biggest change in the pro consoles last gen was their significantly bigger GPU where they doubled in size compared to PS4 after a few years. If the PS5 Pro GPU is only slightly bigger than the Series X after 4 years, what does that tell you 🤷

Like no shit the Series X competes with the PS5, its GPU was based on the exact same tech at the time. PS5 Pro is going to have 4 years of advancements to show off. I never said the Series X was or would be equal to the PS5 Pro.

Whether or not that's RDNA3 will have to be seen but if it is, cool.
Your Twitter says exactly what you are saying you didn’t say…

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You can already see the spin in some posts. People act like die size comparisons between series X and ps5 pro means that they will perform "similar", which is even worse than using Mhz as the only measuring stick in a dick measurement competition.
That doesn't even make any sense since the PS5 already keeps up and even beats the Series X, the PS5 Pro will just stomp the Series X.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
That doesn't even make any sense since the PS5 already keeps up and even beats the Series X, the PS5 Pro will just stomp the Series X.
Let me guess what the next script is...

Not gonna lie this is ways too hard to spin...

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
To be fair m$ have always been a bloated machine, Windows and Office are garbage that has no good direction whatsoever. It is only sucess because they have a monopoly

They can't force themselves into gaming without a monopoly first.
:unsure:
Yes, but how did they get the monopoly?

They got the IBM contract for DOS.
Found a way to control the platform (by selling the os to 3rd party pc compatibles).
Lied about the timetable and features of windows while it was in development to block other PC UI from entering the market (they also often had drawbacks of their own).
Eventually PCs got fast enough to run windows and windows version 95 was released.

Commodore died because it failed to keep up with technical advancement and it was so mismanaged that looking up its history hurts.
Atari was worse than Commodore at keeping up with tech progress.

Somehow Apple did better and they were able to hold to their niche in pre-press, graphics design, etc. For long enough for them to invent the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. But they are not a threat to MS on the desktop or servers.

But all is ok because this is the year of the Linux desktop (since circa 2003).

Now the benefits of windows are multiple and this is why I always go back to it after I get upset and try linux or get a Mac for a few months.

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
PS5 Pro specs update -

Still a rumour, apparently it could still be Zen 2 CPU won't be Zen 4