PS5 Pro codenamed ‘PROJECT TRINITY’ details and release date

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nobody is made to do anything.

You can upgrade as you would your phone, or not keep your current hardware. Users who buy a Pro have the chance to play games at a higher framerate, and perhaps increased resolution.

It's funny that people make out it's anything but a choice. And that the console is being written off by some well before it's even released.
Consoles are not about choices… it is the best you can get with that fixed hardware.

Since mid-gen refresh and “profiles” options that games on console become half-assed in the name of “options” and “choices”.

It is easy to say “just don’t buy it” or “it is an option for these that want it” and forget how most of the user base is harmed by these “options” and “voices”.

If I wanted that devs implemented unpolished choices /options or devs to waste the time used for one hardware spec in in several specs I should have bought a PC and not console.

The marketing bullshit really won and made console gaming worst but that already happened… so I’m a loser that will continue being harmed by these “choices” and “options” because I don’t have choice or option to have a fixed console hardware with game develop taking full advantage of it.

IMO mid gen refresh are bad for consumer 🤷‍♂️

• fire
Reactions: On Demand

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I highly doubt the ps5 pro is using rdna3. There is too significant an architectural gap and the performance increase too insignificant. For one rdna3 double pumps fp32 calcs, that's a ton of transistor count dedicated to that and real world numbers give a paltry uplift in exchange. If anything it would be the ps5 architecture ported down to 4nm silicon and doubled in CU count like the ps4 pro was.
RNDA3 big bump in FP32 is more marketing than actual performance improvement.

It barral runs better than RDNA2 cards but hey it has twice FP32 power 🤷‍♂️

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
RDNA 3 didn't increase transitors count. We know this because even those they decrease node and increase CUs, the die size decreased.

For how they tried to improve performance, I and @thicc_girls_are_teh_best already discuss above. Essential more SIMD and shader counts per CUs.

Double CUs count is a poor approach because there is a limit to how many CU can execute a specific instructions, and those perfomance gains will only get applied to at higher fidelity, lower fidelity will not get improvement in framerates. Besr course is pure IPC improvement which I hope RDNA 4 can achieve.
I agree here.

RDNA3 efficiency with it units are very low… on paper it seems a big jump but on actual applications it is efficiently worst than RDNA2.

At same TFs RDNA2 cards will wipe the floor with RDNA3.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I agree here.

RDNA3 efficiency with it units are very low… on paper it seems a big jump but on actual applications it is efficiently worst than RDNA2.

At same TFs RDNA2 cards will wipe the floor with RDNA3.
AMD put like 90% of their R&D budget on CPU and they left GPU division looks live African starving kid. So don't expect anything big with Navi 4x. Most out of it is probably big boost in rasitization from RDNA2 and a bit boost in RT.

Sony should just scratch their own head while looking to solve their own problem. Relying to much on AMD and we could see them MS'sed themselves hardware wise.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AMD put like 90% of their R&D budget on CPU and they left GPU division looks live African starving kid. So don't expect anything big with Navi 4x. Most out of it is probably big boost in rasitization from RDNA2 and a bit boost in RT.

Sony should just scratch their own head while looking to solve their own problem. Relying to much on AMD and we could see them MS'sed themselves hardware wise.
I think they know they need to start focusing on GPU, server farms are buying lots of GPU for parallel compute and AI now, and server is where they made their big comeback. The problem is these things take 2-3 years to change directions in, rdna 3 failure with chiplets will be a big setback. Well hopefully they realized with rdna2 gen that only having raster and gaming perf while having poor AI, poor productivity, poor software ecosystem is not going to cut it.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Consoles are not about choices… it is the best you can get with that fixed hardware.

Since mid-gen refresh and “profiles” options that games on console become half-assed in the name of “options” and “choices”.

It is easy to say “just don’t buy it” or “it is an option for these that want it” and forget how most of the user base is harmed by these “options” and “voices”.

If I wanted that devs implemented unpolished choices /options or devs to waste the time used for one hardware spec in in several specs I should have bought a PC and not console.

The marketing bullshit really won and made console gaming worst but that already happened… so I’m a loser that will continue being harmed by these “choices” and “options” because I don’t have choice or option to have a fixed console hardware with game develop taking full advantage of it.

And how user base is harmed? Tell us 😂

• fire
Reactions: Hezekiah

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And how user base is harmed? Tell us 😂
Did you not realize that you get half-backed modes in games?
Instead of a single mode with the dev focusing to make it works flawless now you have dev wasting time and not deliverying several modes that always have issues.

Basically the same thing that always happened on PC... except consoles doesn't have the brute force upgrade to give the "feeling" of fix everything.

Gaphic mode in base.
Performance mode in base.
Graphic mode in Pro.
Performance mode in Pro.

The dev time and budget the same as you had to for a 1 single good mode... the end result is a downgrade in quality and polish with big day one patches and promises to fix most of the issues lol

Both mid-gen upgrades and PC like profiles just harmed consumers/players and people continue eating that marketing 🤷‍♂️

PS. Sometimes I wonder if most posters played games on consoles at all because it is pretty obvius what happened last generation for anybody that plays for a while (I can understand these that only had a console with PS4 that don't undestand the issue).

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Instead of a single mode with the dev focusing to make it works flawless now you have dev wasting time and not deliverying several modes that always have issues.

Basically the same thing that always happened on PC... except consoles doesn't have the brute force upgrade to give the "feeling" of fix everything.

Gaphic mode in base.
Graphic mode in Pro.
Performance mode in Pro.

The dev time and budget the same as you had to for a 1 single good mode... the end result is a downgrade in quality and polish with big day one patches and promises to fix most of the issues lol

Both mid-gen upgrades and PC like profiles just harmed consumers/players and people continue eating that marketing 🤷‍♂️

PS. Sometimes I wonder if most posters played games on consoles at all because it is pretty obvius what happened last generation for anybody that plays for a while (I can understand these that only had a console with PS4 that don't undestand the issue).
Having more upper options is harmful? Going upward is not harmful, going downward is.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Gaphic mode in base.
Graphic mode in Pro.
Performance mode in Pro.

The principal issues you state are sound, but looking back at ps4/pro I cannot recall any negative outcomes. Many were happy to stick with ps4 while others like myself found the upgrade critical for 75/85” displays.

Arguably the rez outcome is no longer relevant- but perhaps better framerates will please many with eg 120hz displays.

• they're_right_you_know

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Based on existing leaks, and assuming the "leak" for the PS5 Pro is correct, navi-32 could be the base for the PS5. The rumor is that n32 will come with either 48, 54, or 60cu configurations, so it's pretty possible that the PS5 will have 30 WGP, each with 2 CU pairs disabled, for the 54CU configuration. It's possible that this is not an innocent choice, as they're yet again adding 18 active compute units on top of the existing number.

As for clock speeds, the new navi 3x can push ~10% higher clock speeds, so a new PS5 Pro could technically leverage that for its "pro" upgrades.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
MS already killed themselves with retarded little brother
Next gen with Xbox SeS consoles, good fucking luck. Maybe they will go cloud or third party :ROFLMAO:. Typical MS

Exactly.

Microsoft simply can’t release a pro console after releasing that potato.

Imagine porting to 3 different console specs.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The principal issues you state are sound, but looking back at ps4/pro I cannot recall any negative outcomes. Many were happy to stick with ps4 while others like myself found the upgrade critical for 75/85” displays.

Arguably the rez outcome is no longer relevant- but perhaps better framerates will please many with eg 120hz displays.
There a lot of issues with PS4 and PS4 Pro in the past like...

• PS4 Pro not performing good or missing something (one or more modes not performing good or missing something)
  • PS4 not performing good or missing something (one or more modes not performing good or missing something)
You can count on hand the games that performance and had nothing missing in both PS4 and PS4 both and all their modes.

Plus the issues that come after that.
You try to fix the PS4 Pro issue and the PS4 version becomes bad or vice-versa.
Or you try to fix a mode and the other mode that played well before become fucked.

In a ideal world for each mid-gen refresh and mode added to the game you probably need to double the budget/time for development (of these modes), QA and test but that doesn't happen... in most cases the budget/time continue the same and you will be a happy developer if you have a % addicional budget/time for that.

So the industry has a big issue... they want more modes and hardware combination but don't want to invest more money and time to make this happen.

When devs had to work in a single hardware and mode it was way easier for them and games were released better than today.
So yes for me that doesn't care for mid-gen upgrades or several differnet modes it was a big harm in gaming life.
And I'm sure there are others players (maybe the marjority) that doesn't care about that too... just want to reach home hit a button and have the game playing without options.

IMO giving options goes against everything a console was suppose to be.
Consoles is now a PC and not a console anymore and with that all the harm, issues, hurt existed on PC that make players choose console even knowing it was not powerful as a high-end PC... all these are not in console space and that is sad.

And I can say the same for Gamepass? Publishers / Developers will cut more and more the budget / time to develop games due Gamepass model and we will have the typical games with Gamepass quality... subpar that makes some Xbots happy 🤷‍♂️

For me console should focus in what matter... a simple exprience equal to everybody... you just turn on and play without need to choose... without harm with different hardware and modes.

But I'm old and already talked about that in PS4 gen where that started.
Remember that Sony promissed an even playfield with PS4 Pro where it will have the same framerate than base PS4... well the framerate was all random and variated... the very promise to sell PS4 Pro failed miserably.

BTW the market for PS4 Pro was not that big either... it was (by own Sony data) like 25% of the sales... one in each four PS4 sold was a Pro.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
There a lot of issues with PS4 and PS4 Pro in the past like...

• PS4 Pro not performing good or missing something (one or more modes not performing good or missing something)
  • PS4 not performing good or missing something (one or more modes not performing good or missing something)
You can count on hand the games that performance and had nothing missing in both PS4 and PS4 both and all their modes.

Plus the issues that come after that.
You try to fix the PS4 Pro issue and the PS4 version becomes bad or vice-versa.
Or you try to fix a mode and the other mode that played well before become fucked.

In a ideal world for each mid-gen refresh and mode added to the game you probably need to double the budget/time for development (of these modes), QA and test but that doesn't happen... in most cases the budget/time continue the same and you will be a happy developer if you have a % addicional budget/time for that.

So the industry has a big issue... they want more modes and hardware combination but don't want to invest more money and time to make this happen.

When devs had to work in a single hardware and mode it was way easier for them and games were released better than today.
So yes for me that doesn't care for mid-gen upgrades or several differnet modes it was a big harm in gaming life.
And I'm sure there are others players (maybe the marjority) that doesn't care about that too... just want to reach home hit a button and have the game playing without options.

IMO giving options goes against everything a console was suppose to be.
Consoles is now a PC and not a console anymore and with that all the harm, issues, hurt existed on PC that make players choose console even knowing it was not powerful as a high-end PC... all these are not in console space and that is sad.

And I can say the same for Gamepass? Publishers / Developers will cut more and more the budget / time to develop games due Gamepass model and we will have the typical games with Gamepass quality... subpar that makes some Xbots happy 🤷‍♂️

For me console should focus in what matter... a simple exprience equal to everybody... you just turn on and play without need to choose... without harm with different hardware and modes.

But I'm old and already talked about that in PS4 gen where that started.
Remember that Sony promissed an even playfield with PS4 Pro where it will have the same framerate than base PS4... well the framerate was all random and variated... the very promise to sell PS4 Pro failed miserably.

BTW the market for PS4 Pro was not that big either... it was (by own Sony data) like 25% of the sales... one in each four PS4 sold was a Pro.
I'm sorry, I had a PS4 Pro and nothing felt "broken", in my case it was a very welcome upgrade.

However, I'd still recommend the base PS4 to most people because, even after the Pro was released, pretty much all games held their frame rate\resolution pretty well (1080p/30 or 900p/60).

I'm not sure where you got that idea, most devs have to fiddle around to decide which profile they will ship a game with, so adding a few toggle options in a menu is not that big of a task. Now, they need to have one that is "official" if you will, there is no benefit in making everybody unhappy with your base config.

If it was only me there should be 1 mode that targets 60fps and use some dynamic resolution to hit whatever the game can at that frame rate + a toggle to unlock the frame rate for those that have VRR TVs (or just 120hz and they want to try it).

People who don't care or don't know any better will just play the game as it comes out of the box.

Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm sorry, I had a PS4 Pro and nothing felt "broken", in my case it was a very welcome upgrade.

However, I'd still recommend the base PS4 to most people because, even after the Pro was released, pretty much all games held their frame rate\resolution pretty well (1080p/30 or 900p/60).

I'm not sure where you got that idea, most devs have to fiddle around to decide which profile they will ship a game with, so adding a few toggle options in a menu is not that big of a task. Now, they need to have one that is "official" if you will, there is no benefit in making everybody unhappy with your base config.

If it was only me there should be 1 mode that targets 60fps and use some dynamic resolution to hit whatever the game can at that frame rate + a toggle to unlock the frame rate for those that have VRR TVs (or just 120hz and they want to try it).

People who don't care or don't know any better will just play the game as it comes out of the box.
We have evidence of the opposite... since digital foundry, nx game, etc videos until serveral performance issues posts in devs boards.
PS4 Pro and PS4 base delivery was not fine at all after Pro.

And that bullshit of "it is a flag", "it just a menu option", etc was already debunked... devs needs a lot of work and time testing for to make these several modes options works.

You are just closing your eyes to the issues.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

yep, I had a ps4 pro and everything worked great.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
yep, I had a ps4 pro and everything worked great.
May I speak to you, this is from attendants of Sony Airlines. We are about to take off from Haneda Airport and our destination is Red Dead Redemption 2. Please fasten your seatbelt and turn on your mobile phone airplane mode and turn off other electronic equipments that transmit signals.

Vroooooooooooooom~~~~~~ PS4 Pro jet engine sound*

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
We have evidence of the opposite... since digital foundry, nx game, etc videos until serveral performance issues posts in devs boards.
PS4 Pro and PS4 base delivery was not fine at all after Pro.

And that bullshit of "it is a flag", "it just a menu option", etc was already debunked... devs needs a lot of work and time testing for to make these several modes options works.

You are just closing your eyes to the issues.
As PS4 and PS4 PRO owners plus a gamer who plays loads of games, it sounds like big pile of
pile GIF

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I am not super fond about these mid gen refreshes. Devs need time to tap into the system power. Even release few games.
PS5 is still untapped.
Many games we get now are just treating ps5 as a budget pc and the game runs like on budget pc. This is no development. This is just porting to all consoles.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Buying a console is absolutely a choice. And you have several to choose from. PS5 Pro will just be another option to choose.

When did PS4 Pro lead to PS4 games becoming "half-assed"? Hint...it didn't.

All this bitching about a PS5 Pro is just typical entitled gamer behaviour. Whining for the sake of whining because they want something done in a particular way. I imagine the majority crying about it can't afford one, or don't like the idea of selling their PS5 at a loss to fund one, and are having public tantrums as a result.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster