PS5 Pro selling out everywhere, even in Australia at a price of 1,650 Australian dollars.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I find it hard to believe. It’s the same plates

I also think it is the same plates, would be odd if they were different and we've gotten confirmation from sources that got confirmation from sony that they were the same.

Seems like maybe a miscommunication somewhere, but I've also seen retailers list the PS5 Pro as 2GB... so stuff like this happens.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Yeah but not the people in America. Here in EU we will need to pay 799.99 Euros and UK
£699.99, which already quite high the price. Heck folks in America are complaining about 70 bucks for games which has been in Europe standard. We pay now for current-gen 80 Euros and 80 pound sterling.

USA users don't seem to really grasp how much more the customers have to pay for a PS5 Pro in the UK and EU.
Sony is demanding almost twice as much for the damn disc drive, it's $80 vs. $135, way more than any VAT difference and warranty premium.

The truth is Americans have a massive overrepresentation in the English-speaking internet in what relates to content creators for videogame software and hardware.
Sony and many others think that having most of the reviewers (and enthusiast forums) out there saying "$700 is not that bad" might move some of the other customers getting screwed for a much higher price.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I find it hard to believe. It’s the same plates
Yes... it is the same... you can buy and put it on Pro.
But remember only PS5 Slim and PS5 Pro shares the same plates.

PS5 original is another plate.

To put it simple... original PS5 uses 2 plates pieces while PS5 Slim / Pro uses 4 plates pieces (btw that is what make them be shared).

Reactions: rofif

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony is demanding almost twice as much for the damn disc drive, it's $80 vs. $135, way more than any VAT difference and warranty premium.
As reference, here in Spain there's a VAT of 21%. Its price is 119,99€ VAT included ($132.49). Without VAT it would be 99,17€.

You have to consider that in addition to VAT they have to pay additional taxes not available in US, there's a more strict and longer warranty in EU (2 years) and on top of that they have to localize the packaging, marketing, etc. plus to spend more in distribution, inventory and relations with retailers, because retailers here are pretty different from a country to another.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
As reference, here in Spain there's a VAT of 21%. Its price is 119,99€ VAT included ($132.49). Without VAT it would be 99,17€.

You have to consider that in addition to VAT they have to pay additional taxes not available in US, there's a more strict and longer warranty in EU (2 years) and on top of that they have to localize the packaging, marketing, etc. plus to spend more in distribution, inventory and relations with retailers, because retailers here are pretty different from a country to another.

LOL we've had X€ = $X parity for decades on all consoles, even when the Euro was even lower compared to the USD now. When the PS4 Pro released, 1€ was $1.05 and now it's $1.10, and it released for $400 and 400€.
But suddenly poor Sony is spending so much more on "warranty, localized packaging, marketing, distribution, inventory and relations" for the EU and UK.

Imagine going this far to defend a corporation that wants to to charge you 66% more for not being American.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yes... it is the same... you can buy and put it on Pro.
But remember only PS5 Slim and PS5 Pro shares the same plates.

PS5 original is another plate.

To put it simple... original PS5 uses 2 plates pieces while PS5 Slim / Pro uses 4 plates pieces (btw that is what make them be shared).
yeah yeah the split plates with slit should all be interchangable but that amazon japan picture is not confirming this

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

the disc drive retailed for 130 euro here in Poland too. now it's double that.
Gladly I got it when it was "normal" price

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
the disc drive retailed for 130 euro here in Poland too. now it's double that.
Gladly I got it when it was "normal" price
LOL we've had X€ = $X parity for decades on all consoles, even when the Euro was even lower compared to the USD now. When the PS4 Pro released, 1€ was $1.05 and now it's $1.10, and it released for $400 and 400€.
But suddenly poor Sony is spending so much more on "warranty, localized packaging, marketing, distribution, inventory and relations" for the EU and UK.

In addition to the extra costs I mentioned related to sell something in the EU vs selling it in USA, particularly for foreign products, there's the inflation, price exchange, economy and more things that I didn't explain to don't make the post too long.

We also have to consider that many EU countries had an insane inflation in recent years, and will keep rising as our corrupt politicians keep enlarging the debt, printing money because of potatoes and switching their resources providers of key stuff like oil and gas and some raw materials and food from cheaper, close providers (Russia) to more distant and expensive ones (USA). There's also a high potential of war escalation (WWIII) and also dollar and western economy collapse in the short or mid term, and all these things and uncertainity make them rise their prices because the winter may be coming.

Meaning, companies like Sony are rising prices not only because of the past inflation, but also because they expect that it will continue increasing at a high rate in the mid term.

Imagine going this far to defend a corporation that wants to to charge you 66% more for not being American.
To explain facts as I did isn't to defend any corportation. If someone is going too far maybe is the one like you who rejects them like a flatearther, just because doesn't like them.

No, they are not charging 66% more for not being from the USA. They are charging more for the reasons I explained and a few more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rofif

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Another retailer confirm that's covers fro PS5 slim are note compatible with the Pro model.

Features:​

• Made by PlayStation: The only console covers made by PlayStation for PS5® (Slim)1 that are designed to deliver the quality level you know and trust.
  • Easy to Use: Simply remove your original white PS5® (Slim) covers and click your new covers into place.
  • Complete the Look: Pair your new PS5® (Slim) covers with a matching DualSense™ wireless controller for a vivid set.2
  1. Covers are for PS5 (Slim) Digital & Disc consoles. NOT compatible with PlayStation 5® Pro.
  2. DualSense wireless controller sold separately.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: YeezyDude and rofif

Game Freak

3 Oct 2024
Quite a smart decision by Sony to fight scalpers, but this decision is valid only for Japan, although it could have enabled it for other markets as well

According to the Japanese PlayStation homepage, whoever wants to preorder the PS5 30th Anniversary Edition in Japan has to meet the following conditions: have a PSN account registered in Japan, and have at least 30 hours of PS4 or PS5 run time on the account between February 2014 and September 19, 2024. Japanese users are thankful to see at least some measures in place, but many think that more could have been done. People who were hoping to buy the console overseas would have certainly benefited from a similar system.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Quite a smart decision by Sony to fight scalpers, but this decision is valid only for Japan, although it could have enabled it for other markets as well

According to the Japanese PlayStation homepage, whoever wants to preorder the PS5 30th Anniversary Edition in Japan has to meet the following conditions: have a PSN account registered in Japan, and have at least 30 hours of PS4 or PS5 run time on the account between February 2014 and September 19, 2024. Japanese users are thankful to see at least some measures in place, but many think that more could have been done. People who were hoping to buy the console overseas would have certainly benefited from a similar system.

They should have tied it to Astro Bot rather than general playthrough.

You would have had more people buying Astro Bot to get into the queue.

They should have also offered more units. They left money on the shelf for sure. I myself would have purchased the pro bundle even though I actively didn't want the dual sense edge. I ended up buy the 30th anniversary edition dual sense and a regular pro. 780 bucks compared to 1000...

This is the type of stuff people should be critical of sony for, not outsourcing a remake to revive an IP they have some interest in to former devs of the original game.

Game Freak

3 Oct 2024
They should have tied it to Astro Bot rather than general playthrough.

You would have had more people buying Astro Bot to get into the queue.

They should have also offered more units. They left money on the shelf for sure. I myself would have purchased the pro bundle even though I actively didn't want the dual sense edge. I ended up buy the 30th anniversary edition dual sense and a regular pro. 780 bucks compared to 1000...

This is the type of stuff people should be critical of sony for, not outsourcing a remake to revive an IP they have some interest in to former devs of the original game.
Sony has in a way copied Valve's fight against scalpers, and maybe it will bear fruit against scalpers who want to sell PS5 Pro at high prices

To purchase a Limited Edition Steam Deck OLED model:· You need to be in the United States or Canada· Your account needs to be in good standing· Your account needs to have made a purchase on Steam before November 2023· Only one unit may be purchased per account