PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Oh wow, I'm very excited to see the real specs and potential of this thing. I wonder what they can pack into a machine for whatever price they are targeting. It could be incredibly impressive, especially now that AMD probably realize PlayStation is where the potential is for business.
Bryan, shouldn’t you be hating this on general principle, since Jim Ryan greenlit it?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Petty small jump imo.

10.3TFs to 14.33TFs (forget the dual issue... tests already proved it is not working like intended... a RDNA 3 dual issue 30TFs barely beat a RDNA 2 15TFs).
It's the kind of thing that is like VRS... Always disappointing in reality.

Reactions: Entropi

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Looks like smooth brained internet posters are still obsessing over "60 FpS" and "rAy tRacing" meaning any gains will probably be wasted on stuff we can barely tell the difference in. The constant push for high frame rates and ray tracing are antithetical to graphics development. See Spiderman 2 looking the same or worse than miles morales because of ray tracing in all modes.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Yeap... it will be fine... it will give better resolution and stable framerates to games (well most 3rd-parties... first-party usually have already good framerate).
I'm a bit confused why they are using 16GB instead 20GB or 24GB.
They don't need to add more ram to get more bandwidth just faster ram and we know the ram in the Pro will be faster. Speed is increasing from 14Gpbs to 18, I prefer this as it's more cost effective. Sounds like the GPU will be a slightly under clocked AMD 7800xt which is a 37tf 16gb ram card with ram speed running at 19.5Gpbs and clocked to just over 2.4Mhz. The GPU in the Pro will only be 1.5Gpbs slower, same 16gb and I'm sure the Mhz will be a bit faster then base PS5. Pro could end up with nearly 30tf gpu based on known specs.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Looks like smooth brained internet posters are still obsessing over "60 FpS" and "rAy tRacing" meaning any gains will probably be wasted on stuff we can barely tell the difference in. The constant push for high frame rates and ray tracing are antithetical to graphics development. See Spiderman 2 looking the same or worse than miles morales because of ray tracing in all modes.

Spider-Man 2 does not have worse graphics than Miles Morales. Not sure what you're smoking.

Reactions: Vlado_Millenium

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
looking the same or worse than miles morales because of ray tracing in all modes.
It for damn sure doesn't look better. designing games to have 60fps performance modes in mind is holding back graphics. I'm also not the only person on the internet who noticed SM2 is visually inconsistent in ways that miles morales never was.

But i'm excited because if the rumors are true that this comes with special RT/Upscaling secret sauce then maybe it won't have a to be a sacrifice anymore of ray tracing or rasterization.

Reactions: Entropi

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lost me at the 2GHz GPU clock target.

They wouldn't lower the GPU clocks by 10% following a process improvement, at the very least because it wouldn't be able to run regular PS5 games in pure BC mode.

Dedicated XDNA for upscaling also makes very little sense, considering how close the compute-base temporal solutions are from DLSS, especially in properly optimized console games.

I get the keeping Zen2 CPU architecture part, but not increasing total available memory is also strange, especially if they're going to increase memory requirements due to higher raytracing demands. I read something about keeping some dedicated DDR5 pool for CPU tasks which could compensate this somewhat and would be similar to what Sony did with the PS4 Pro.
agreed 100%. A lot of these leaks don't make sense, but the 2ghz target really stood out to me. This simply does not make sense for a number of reasons:
-back compat
-node shrink means you're getting faster clocks at the same efficiency - n4p easily hits 2.5ghz; there's no reason to reduce the power target of the pro - if anything it should expand ~50w. 2.4ghz+ is more realistic
-only 30% more memory bandwidth and no increase in VRAM despite a heavy emphasis on RT

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It for damn sure doesn't look better. designing games to have 60fps performance modes in mind is holding back graphics. I'm also not the only person on the internet who noticed SM2 is visually inconsistent in ways that miles morales never was.

But i'm excited because if the rumors are true that this comes with special RT/Upscaling secret sauce then maybe it won't have a to be a sacrifice anymore of ray tracing or rasterization.
It looks much improved. You don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They don't need to add more ram to get more bandwidth just faster ram and we know the ram in the Pro will be faster. Speed is increasing from 14Gpbs to 18, I prefer this as it's more cost effective. Sounds like the GPU will be a slightly under clocked AMD 7800xt which is a 37tf 16gb ram card with ram speed running at 19.5Gpbs and clocked to just over 2.4Mhz. The GPU in the Pro will only be 1.5Gpbs slower, same 16gb and I'm sure the Mhz will be a bit faster then base PS5. Pro could end up with nearly 30tf gpu based on known specs.
Yeap but I'm talking about the amount of the RAM and not the speed.
Not only for the games for the OS too... a bit more RAM is always good.

But seems like it was fake specs... so move on :D

Reactions: AllBizness

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It looks much improved. You don't know what you're talking about.
the funniest thing is the 30fps purists who then have to add motion blur to make the game not look dogshit, but in turn motion blur makes the game look dogshit and the extra res does nothing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
But wait, theres more....

That is more interesting...
It gives 15.3TFs at 2Ghz.
If they can use a higher clock (I'm sure they will... for compatibility alone they need to be higher than the PS5 clocks) it can reach some good numbers.

Using at least PS5 GPU clocks.

2.33Ghz = 17.9TFs
That gives near 2x the GPU raw power of PS5 without counting the others improviments.

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
Petty small jump imo.

10.3TFs to 14.33TFs (forget the dual issue... tests already proved it is not working like intended... a RDNA 3 dual issue 30TFs barely beat a RDNA 2 15TFs).
Yea, that's the real story.. but it makes sense. It's not going to be a generation ahead of the PS5. Very interesting that they mention hardware RT acceleration. Many people were saying that the PS5/XSX had hardware ray tracing when it didn't have what Nvidia had. It now finally has what Nvidia has designed a long time ago.