PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
I would find the kind of specs that are well-balanced and impressive not tiring. So a better CPU and a much stronger GPU
Balanced, lol. That's was Goosen, Penello and co's favourite phrase at the start of the last gen. "How is it that a 400 HP Porsche can be faster than a 700 HP Corvette?" said good old 30% Penello.

Comparing what can be done with an APU vs. discrete PC components is utter fucking nonsense. Wanting more CPU and more GPU than the leaks suggest doubly so. The real "balance" is how much die space you burn producing a device that does the most to meet the demands of a mid-gen unit playing the exact same games as the base machine.

ps5 Pro will do the job it was designed for - to better present ps5 games with more quality than the 4 year old original. The very same job the ps4 Pro did when it released at the generation's mid-point offering slightly bumped specs and bespoke hardware to help offer more bang for buck.

This tiring shit is self-inflicted. You are demanding next-gen specs from a mid-gen refresh which isn't practical, sensible or realistic, and ignoring the amazing and exciting introduction or PSSR and what it might offer because... well, why?

Where's the value in being grumpy or down about paper specs not meeting imaginary, unrealistic goals? Ask Phil Spencer about just how valuable paper spec are in the real world. You clearly want a new gen not a refresh... only by then it still won't be enough for all the same reasons because you're comparing APU-based hardware with far more expensive discrete components elsewhere for reasons. Only solution is bite the bullet and go all-in on the glorious pc gaming master-race(to give it its full title), then you can upgrade yearly and it's all on you and your wallet to provide the happiness true balance offers. Although, you'll discover a completely different brand of tiring when you're left constantly fiddling with settings, updating drivers and wondering why your game is stuttering instead of just switching on and playing games.

Personally I don't see how an example of taking a base ps5 quality mode game running at 30fps and having the new machine offer the same levels of IQ but at 60fps can be seen as being anything other than fantastic from a mid-gen box. What's a better CPU to the detriment of less GPU/AI/ML die space going to offer there? 100% improvement is tiring? Meh.

You do you though. Alex from DF can't see past paper specs and viewing things purely in terms of PC and discrete components, so I don't expect mere gamers to be able to. A PC tech enthusiast who spends his life facing off the very best cutting edge technologies against each other while trying to make sense of them is only going to know how to view anything through that one lens, but there's no reason why Joe Shmoe should inflict the same fate on themselves.

xbox twitter is revelling in a similar kind of self-inflicted doom, being unable to enjoy what they have without worrying about what's going on elsewhere and getting all limp-dick about it. Personally I'm looking forward to see how the improvements pan out in actual gameplay, but more than that, to seeing and discussing how PSSR evolves, introduces frame gen and who knows what else as we get ready for ps6.

All things point to the GPU being between a 7700XT and 7800XT in rasterization, but with 2x higher performance in raytracing from RDNA4 optimizations, and an upscaling tech that is close to DLSS.
I can see why people want "more" and bigger numbers, but it's unreasonable to expect that from mid-gen. If people can't get excited by what that suggests for such a machine then sucks to be them I guess.

• fire
Reactions: anonpuffs

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
@ToTTenTranz going back to our conversation the other day, leaks also did suggest that Navi 32 has 3 Shader Engines and a maximum CU count of 60:

Perhaps it is like they say, I just haven't seen anything pointing to that. It could be that the linux patches do tell the number of shader engines and that's where they took that WGPs-per-shader-engine spec.

Assuming the PS5 uses this GCD, do you think they will disable 1, 2, or 3WGP? My bet is at 3, 1 per SE.

The N6 process is pretty mature so I doubt they'd need to do more than 2 areas of redundancy. My guess is even 2 is too much and they could do with just one disabled WGP, but I read somewhere RDNA doesn't work well with an uneven number of WGPs.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Perhaps it is like they say, I just haven't seen anything pointing to that. It could be that the linux patches do tell the number of shader engines and that's where they took that WGPs-per-shader-engine spec.

The N6 process is pretty mature so I doubt they'd need to do more than 2 areas of redundancy. My guess is even 2 is too much and they could do with just one disabled WGP, but I read somewhere RDNA doesn't work well with an uneven number of WGPs.

In that case I can see this being a 2.3Ghz GPU with 56 active CU, or a custom 32WGP (with 2 disabled) GPU at 2.18Ghz

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
In that case I can see this being a 2.3Ghz GPU with 56 active CU, or a custom 32WGP (with 2 disabled) GPU at 2.18Ghz
It's 30 WGP active out of 32, that much has been confirmed from many sources (Kepler, Tom Henderson, etc.).
The number of active WGPs / CUs appear in the linux patches.

What we don't know are the clocks. 33.5 TFLOPs point to 2.18GHz, but the 300 TOPs point to 2.45GHz.

These are probably some "safe" numbers they can disclose before production units are out there. It would by highly irregular if the new GPU had lower clocks than the PS5. Unpatched games could actually run slower on the Pro in compatibility mode, and I don't think Sony would want that.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's 30 WGP active out of 32, that much has been confirmed from many sources (Kepler, Tom Henderson, etc.).
The number of active WGPs / CUs appear in the linux patches.

What we don't know are the clocks. 33.5 TFLOPs point to 2.18GHz, but the 300 TOPs point to 2.45GHz.

These are probably some "safe" numbers they can disclose before production units are out there. It would by highly irregular if the new GPU had lower clocks than the PS5. Unpatched games could actually run slower on the Pro in compatibility mode, and I don't think Sony would want that.

The PS5 also had 9.2TF per many sources, until it didn't. Those betting on a custom card when there's no RDNA3 Navi with 32WGP will be disappointed.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The PS5 also had 9.2TF per many sources, until it didn't. Those betting on a custom card when there's no RDNA3 Navi with 32WGP will be disappointed.
The 9.2 TF number came from the Github leak, and the number was calculated for a base clock of 2GHz on the GPU which appeared on some of their tests. The same leak also had 18 WGP mentioned.

The leak was correct. People (Digital Foundry included) just failed to understand that those were base clock numbers for pre-production SDKs. Boost numbers were only set after the first production units came out of the factory and they could see how far up they could clock the GPU.

IIRC there were also tests for 18Gbps GDDR6 effective bandwidth in that leak, probably because Sony wanted to see how much they would gain if they used more expensive memory.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
by the way, anybody want to guess whether N5 TSMC will be freed up in time for the Pro?

Apple should move from N5 this year as Apple A15 products ceases. Nvidia Blackwell and Lovelace moves to N4 and N3. AMD Navi 41 and Ryzen 9000 reportedly fabbed on N4.

With that out of the way, N5 would be free up.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I was opposed to idea of pro but cmon. Of course I am getting it. Let's just hope it won't be impossible to pre-order
Preorders usually are OK within the time thry go up, it's after that the scalpers deplete everything.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Rumour – PS5 Pro CPU Is On Zen 2 At 4 Nm, Console Size Believed To Be Smaller Than Standard PS5
YouTuber Moore’s Law Is Dead has revealed a few new tidbits on the PS5 Pro specs in its latest episode, specifically mentioning the CPU, which is reportedly still on Zen 2 but now engraved at 4 Nm.

As previously reported, the PS5 Pro CPU isn’t believed to be a massive increase over the original version of Sony’s flagship console. However, Moore’s Law Is Dead has now added that the PSSR (PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution) is not a fork of FSR 4, with Sony having developed it but shared some of their work with AMD.
Elsewhere, the report claims that the PS5 Pro could be a bit smaller than the standard PS5 but not smaller than the ‘slim’ version of the console launched last November. In terms of price, Law’s Moore Is Dead speculates that Sony could position the new machine at $500 without a disc drive.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I was opposed to idea of pro but cmon. Of course I am getting it. Let's just hope it won't be impossible to pre-order
Maybe forspoken will actually look good on the pro

troll trolling GIF

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gamernyc78

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I would be very surprised if the PS5 SoC uses N4.

The conservative specs point to N6 pretty hard.
N4 would be interesting, i might believe it if they need it to have a lower power profile. On 6nm the pro would probably be pushing 300-350w, would need a significant upgrade in cooling and power delivery, on 4nm would probably be around 250w. The chips being smaller could offset some of the fab costs.