PlayStation 6 Is Planned to Be the Most Powerful Console of Its Gen; Sony Only Considering AMD |UP| Will have handheld & AMD contracts signed.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Series S, being the weakest of the three (S, X, PS5), weighs down the scoping & design scaling of most 3P AAA titles, to provide good performance for the S and basically targeting the scope of their games to be within that scale. You can't replicate something like HFW: Burning Shore's final boss fight at the scale it is, with that fidelity, on hardware like the Series S.

Maybe at the tail end of the generation when the x and PS5 are absolutely maxed running games at 1080p 30. I even think series S will be phased out on the next gen cross generational period for anything AAA.

But so far,games have not been limited by the series S. Some look hideous on it like Alan Wake 2 but nothing a console player that experienced the 7th generation can't handle.

Series S works because since consoles are more balanced now, with stronger CPUs, studios also design their games with 60 FPS and up in mind. Console Gamers can play at higher framerrates now and like the option.

That is what truly weighs down the scoping of games. On the past generation they went for graphics above all else at 30 FPS because GPU and VRAM for higher resolution textures were the main strengths of those consoles.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Since Xbox will be long dead by then, between Sony and Nintendo it's safe to assume Sony will show up with the better console.

I would not be surprised if Sony showed up with 2 SKUs one being portable next gen, there will probably be a huge crossgen period next gen (devs already have a hard time making a current gen only game that justifies it).

Not competing directly with Xbox frees Sony to try some different things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Since Xbox will be long dead by then, between Sony and Nintendo it's save to assume Sony will show up with the better console.

I would not be surprised if Sony showed up with 2 SKUs one being portable next gen, there will probably be a huge crossgen period next gen (devs already have a hard time making a current gen only game that justifies it).

Not competing directly with Xbox frees Sony to try some different things.
Thyll continue to use Cerny and he has his vision irregardless of deadsoft.

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
2 months ago, Moore's Law Is Dead revealed that Sony has signed a contract with AMD for the PS6 and for a handheld version of the console, as you can see in the video below, starting at minute 13:30

if Sony signed a contract for the PS6 and for this handheld at the same time like he's mentioning, this means that PS6 will be released with 2 SKUs day one, 1 less powerful SKU for handheld and 1 very powerful SKU for console, he even mentions that Sony can probably also sell a weaker console with the same specs as the handheld, cheaper, like Microsoft did this gen with the Series S, so you would have a PS6, PS6 Lite (less poweful console, same specs as handheld) and PS6 Handheld

PlayStation-Portal-price-in-pakistan-eezepc-7.jpg

Reactions: Hezekiah and Puff

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
at the time we didn't take it so seriously, but now that his specs about the PS5 Pro were proven to be true, we can safely say this is going to happen cause he has contacts and information from the inside of the hardware department / AMD

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
imo this is a huge win because it will save the japanese playstation market, but at the same time, will it limit the next gen potential of PlayStation Studios because of the double SKUs?

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I will take that with a lot grain of salt.
I don't think even Sony decided if PS6 will had a handheld version or not.
It still 4 yrs away a lot can change but based the success of the portal I think sony has renewed interest in the handheld market

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
In such scenario at least the weaker SKU would be portable, unlike something like the Series S that has all the same drawbacks without even being portable.

It's pretty obvious after the Switch that you need this type of approach so that your hardware can cover both the portable and the traditional console market.

I think raw powerful hardware matters less and less as technology evolves as long as your base hardware is good.

imo this is a huge win because it will save the japanese playstation market, but at the same time, will it limit the next gen potential of PlayStation Studios because of the double SKUs?
The vast majority of studio aren't limited by hardware these days they are limited by budget. Studio should be able to handle these two SKUs pretty easily if they were able to support the Series S despite it having a vastly smaller market.

The big mistake in this case would be making the PS6 Portable SKU too weak.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It still 4 yrs away a lot can change but based the success of the portal I think sony has renewed interest in the handheld market
I believe Sony has a new probable in all their ideia board since PlayStation exists.
They only give life to these ideias twice.... one was successful but the last one was a big failure.

I'm not that confident so that is why I don't take these rumors as true even more for something to happen after 2028.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
I think 2 skus is a mistake just say the traditional PS6 is $500 & the handheld at most depending the power will have to play PS4, PS5 & PS6 (also depending if the PS has a massive power increase or not) will be price at $400 at the lowest but also likely $500. If the PS6 has a massive power increase this handheld won’t be called a PS6 handheld & if it is called PS6 handheld it would be misleading also if it doesn’t play PS6 games that handheld will be in a awkward space because PS puts there games on PC so Steamdeck 2 will be able to play PS4, PS5 & PS6 games in a handheld but PS wouldn’t? What would be the point? Japan? In that case just stick to Nintendo Switch 2.

This is the problem with PS releasing games to PC. It puts there hardware in a awkward space & almost obsolete similar to Xbox right now.

I think combing both market traditional & mobile into 1 sku like Nintendo would be best & at the very least locking PS6 games on the PS6 “hybrid handheld” ofc it would be hybrid like switch & not just a handheld.

Also unless PS makes 1 sku having 2 skus won’t due much for japan or Asia if anything you might see publishers skip the handheld if it’s like psvita & ps3 where games where separated which I don’t think both of us agree would happen. But still it could make Asia publisher skip your platform for Nintendo where there handheld has combine both market making it easier to just make a game & then not worrying by different skus or power performance differences. Either way a PS6 & PS handheld or PS6 handheld has to play PS4, PS5 & PS6 games minimum

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
These are nothing more than rumors and well get alot of them from here and until them. Please mark as rumor as tht is what they are.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
a 299-349 oled targeting 720p at 60 fps is good, the costs for parts can come down by the time ps6 releases. The only thing they have to do to not fuck up is use another proprietary storage medium like with the vita

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Id like to think the PS6 games wont be compromised but more like portal where the games will be streamed to it. Perhaps ps4 or 5 games could run natively on it though? I do think we are at the point of diminish returns graphics wise. Most people wont have an 8K tv even by 2030 so i think a PS6 that can run 4k 60 or even 120 on the hardware and use PSSR for 8K would be the next logical step IMO. Might be smaller jump tech wise but help keep the price down too?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I doubt that Sony will prioritise raw power. Sony got burned heavily with Cell Processor.
The PS6 will be Powerful enough to handle the new generation. That’s what is Sony’s mantra.

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
These are nothing more than rumors and well get alot of them from here and until them. Please mark as rumor as tht is what they are.
rumours from reliable sources already proven to be correct about the PS5 pro

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
Id like to think the PS6 games wont be compromised but more like portal where the games will be streamed to it. Perhaps ps4 or 5 games could run natively on it though? I do think we are at the point of diminish returns graphics wise. Most people wont have an 8K tv even by 2030 so i think a PS6 that can run 4k 60 or even 120 on the hardware and use PSSR for 8K would be the next logical step IMO. Might be smaller jump tech wise but help keep the price down too?
won't be a streaming device, will play games natively, that's why AMD is developing it

Etifilio

27 Jun 2023
I will take that with a lot grain of salt.
I don't think even Sony decided if PS6 will had a handheld version or not.
of course they did, they have 4 years to release it, at this point the contracts are already signed like the guy mentioned in the video

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
After seeing the success of the switch Sony will definitely have a handheld, especially now that Xbox will be producing games for them.