Push Square “ Physical Games Represented Just 4% of Sales for PlayStation Last Quarter”

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Als, to a certain pussy, at least I post rather than just sulk and seethe like a little bitch!

Ngaw, you are precious.

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: KiryuRealty

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
No, it really doesn't, as you'd have to be able to get the games for physical to have a single advantage.

For example, Atlus games might as well not exist on any platform without a digital store prior to Persona 5 here.

And we won't even go into situations like the BlazeBlue game where the disc didn't even come out here because the publisher couldn't be bothered to print a bilingual slipcover.

Well then that’s the issues you have to deal with in your country. That doesn’t mean physical media is not worth it over no ownership digital.

Physical media will always a better choice over digital.

Als, to a certain pussy, at least I post rather than just sulk and seethe like a little bitch!

I’m sorry what? Ok.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The declines aren’t as bad as it seems for the reasons i stated earlier. It’s a healthy market. No reason physical option should go away.
There is though for the companies. Cut out the middleman and earn more revenue. It's already happened with PC gaming, and will happen soon enough with consoles. The companies don't care what a vocal minority want/think.

And really where will those gamers go - PC and mobile gaming are already almost 100% digital anyway.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
I have been 100% digital starting mid cycle with PS3/360. There should always been a choice between physical and digital. I actually prefer physical, but I really don't want to have my games up on shelves. My wife and I have gone with a minimalist look.

But I continue to grow my vinyl collection. You will need to pry my records away from my dead cold hands.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
There is though for the companies. Cut out the middleman and earn more revenue. It's already happened with PC gaming, and will happen soon enough with consoles. The companies don't care what a vocal minority want/think.

And really where will those gamers go - PC and mobile gaming are already almost 100% digital anyway.

I know why the companies want to do it. Full control over what you buy. Who the fuck cares what they want. I’m taking about us consumers. This is always brought up in these discussions. Like duh. That’s why we push back against it.

Consoles are not PC’s and have a big collectors audience and people who prefer physical media. The PC audience are not really gamers anyway. They just like to play with hardware and settings. No wonder they accept not owning the games they buy and leave everything up to digital storefronts. They have no sense of ownership and believe putting together gaming chipset boards and brute forcing everything is all there is and the best thing ever.

Some of you really act like you can’t wait until everything is digital and you have no control of anything.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I know why the companies want to do it. Full control over what you buy. Who the fuck cares what they want. I’m taking about us consumers. This is always brought up in these discussions. Like duh. That’s why we push back against it.

Consoles are not PC’s and have a big collectors audience and people who prefer physical media. The PC audience are not really gamers anyway. They just like to play with hardware and settings. No wonder they accept not owning the games they buy and leave everything up to digital storefronts. They have no sense of ownership and believe putting together gaming chipset boards and brute forcing everything is all there is and the best thing ever.

Some of you really act like you can’t wait until everything is digital and you have no control of anything.
I think you're missing the point - you and every other consumer have no power here. If Playstation 7 is unveiled with no disc drive available, what are you going to do, start an online petition. Most people won't care. A small group pushing back against this company strategy and technological shift and enacting change is delusion.

I'll leave at this, but I think you're getting unnecessarily emotional with that final sentence. At no point have I suggested that I'm desperate for an all-digital future. I'm simply pointing out the reality.

• they're_right_you_know

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think you're missing the point - you and every other consumer have no power here. If Playstation 7 is unveiled with no disc drive available, what are you going to do, start an online petition. Most people won't care. A small group pushing back against this company strategy and technological shift and enacting change is delusion.

I'll leave at this, but I think you're getting unnecessarily emotional with that final sentence. At no point have I suggested that I'm desperate for an all-digital future. I'm simply pointing out the reality.
The physical media zealots are usually completely unreasonable.

I have detailed why digital is better in my case only to be shouted down as if I’d said physical should be abolished. Safer to just let them screech away and not engage at all.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The physical media zealots are usually completely unreasonable.

I have detailed why digital is better in my case only to be shouted down as if I’d said physical should be abolished. Safer to just let them screech away and not engage at all.
Both have cons. Physical media can easily become damaged, servers shut down anyway etc.

But none of it matters, I don't see physical games lasting as long as physical film and music due to the technical advantages Blu-ray and vinyl etc offer.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Both have cons. Physical media can easily become damaged, servers shut down anyway etc.

But none of it matters, I don't see physical games lasting as long as physical film and music due to the technical advantages Blu-ray and vinyl etc offer.
Especially now that game discs are pretty much just a license dongle and the game is installed on system storage!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

No. You’re missing the point. I don’t care what a corporation wants. We all know they are greedy. A lot of people like physical media so we let it be known how bad it will be if everything goes all digital. Just because our voices might not be heard doesn’t mean we shouldn’t talk about it. That’s weak and defeated.

At the same time. The collectors niche market for things like movies exist for a reason. Movie studios know how much we love physical media. If it didn’t make them money they would not still making making blurays. DVD’s are still pressed today. People buy them.

If we had the same attitude as you, there would be no more blurays years ago. The little things matter a lot. People like me buy physical media so companies will continue to make them. It we didn’t support it verbally and financially it would have been gone already.

I don’t believe you. The same talking points are always used. Like you’re trying to get us to give up and accept the possibility of there being no more disc.

The reality actually is if physical media continues to be supported, companies will continue making them.

Balder’d Gate 3 is now getting a physical release because there’s a market for it.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
No. You’re missing the point. I don’t care what a corporation wants. We all know they are greedy. A lot of people like physical media so we let it be known how bad it will be if everything goes all digital. Just because our voices might not be heard doesn’t mean we shouldn’t talk about it. That’s weak and defeated.

At the same time. The collectors niche market for things like movies exist for a reason. Movie studios know how much we love physical media. If it didn’t make them money they would not still making making blurays. DVD’s are still pressed today. People buy them.

If we had the same attitude as you, there would be no more blurays years ago. The little things matter a lot. People like me buy physical media so companies will continue to make them. It we didn’t support it verbally and financially it would have been gone already.

I don’t believe you. The same talking points are always used. Like you’re trying to get us to give up and accept the possibility of there being no more disc.

The reality actually is if physical media continues to be supported, companies will continue making them.

Balder’d Gate 3 is now getting a physical release because there’s a market for it.
This is 'triggered' the post.

When the console market goes all-digital get in touch and I'll put you in contact with a good psychologist 😭

• they're_right_you_know