Quest 2 and 3 outsold PSVR 2 on Amazon over the Holiday Season

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Moronic take.

"Honda sells millions more cars than Ferrari does in a year, so Ferrari is clearly dead and should move on."

See how stupid that sounds?
You know what sounds stupid? Your analogy since Ferrari is the king of profit margins in the auto industry... Good attempt tho đŸ¤§

It takes like 53 Honda to equal the profit of one Ferrari lol. PSVR2 is more like the VW of VR

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Couldn't even find out the studio that is making this game. Is there any PSVR2 game being made by PlayStation? These feels way too much like the Vita days.
In their defense putting first party on VR would be a money pit. Maybe Aosbi will be our best bet to have a VR version for their next game similar to GT 7.

Pacific Drive looks good and it's a shame the game isn't getting a VR version. One would think this is where Sony steps in and provide the resources needed, but eh...

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Moronic take.

"Honda sells millions more cars than Ferrari does in a year, so Ferrari is clearly dead and should move on."

See how stupid that sounds?
literally everything that kid says is moronic.

Couldn't even find out the studio that is making this game. Is there any PSVR2 game being made by PlayStation? These feels way too much like the Vita days.
DNS is developing it and when did Vita have several exclusiv goty nominees in a single year?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
PSVR is absolutely in the gutter. Failed launch. No one cares or wants it. Fanboy denial don’t mean much .

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Fanboy downplaying and utter failure to understand how niche markets work means less.

For all the scrutiny fans want to give about Sony’s investments… VR is by far the most questionable. I applaud the continued r n d but that’s about it. It’s not ready.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It definitely doesn't sell well. There's always one constant in these discussions. If a company is refusing to release sales numbers, the product isn't doing too well. If PSVR2 sales were healthy, we'd have heard about them by now.

It's a great piece of tech. I've had mine since release and I still get wowed when I use it on GT7. It's a completely different gaming experience to flat screen gaming. Not just the fact that you're "in" the game but you actually get a sense of scale. It's hard to describe how it feels to stand next to an actual robot in Horizon.

Having said that, it's still a hard sell to people. Not only is it not the most comfortable way to play (last thing you want to do when you come home from work is tag on a heavy headset) it's pretty pricey. It also needed much more 1st party support.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
When did PSVR2 had that?
Last year! Every VR GOTY was a PSVR2 exclusive except for Humanity, which was still a day 1 PS Plus game!

Another game not on this list, C-Smash VRS, was Digital Foundry's VR GOTY, also a PSVR2 exclusive.

So saying it's like the Vita is very disingenuous, there's plenty of great games, it's exclusives are some of the best in VR history, and it's the best way to play 3rd party multiplat VR games, especially at it's price point.

image.png

Reactions: Umar

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It definitely doesn't sell well. There's always one constant in these discussions. If a company is refusing to release sales numbers, the product isn't doing too well. If PSVR2 sales were healthy, we'd have heard about them by now.

It's a great piece of tech. I've had mine since release and I still get wowed when I use it on GT7. It's a completely different gaming experience to flat screen gaming. Not just the fact that you're "in" the game but you actually get a sense of scale. It's hard to describe how it feels to stand next to an actual robot in Horizon.

Having said that, it's still a hard sell to people. Not only is it not the most comfortable way to play (last thing you want to do when you come home from work is tag on a heavy headset) it's pretty pricey. It also needed much more 1st party support.
Needs more first party and casual experiences. Things that will bring in people who aren't just hardcore / tech folks.

Price is gonna hold it back for at least another two years. Hopefully PlayStation will roll with the punches.

They can utilize VR for movies, get some app support. This is where something like PS Home would have been a killer app for them.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Last year! Every VR GOTY was a PSVR2 exclusive except for Humanity, which was still a day 1 PS Plus game!

Another game not on this list, C-Smash VRS, was Digital Foundry's VR GOTY, also a PSVR2 exclusive.

So saying it's like the Vita is very disingenuous, there's plenty of great games, it's exclusives are some of the best in VR history, and it's the best way to play 3rd party multiplat VR games, especially at it's price point.

image.png
VR GOTY? Come on, thought you meant a real GoTY like Half-Life Alyx or Astro Bot Rescue Mission.

Not bad for a first year but where is everything else? It costs more than the PS5 and they don't seem to care about people being able to look forward for more support.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Can’t help but want a better source than this. One retailer? In one country? Collated using whatever methods? (I haven’t read the article yet in fairness)

It doesn’t seem worth getting all worked up over such a scarcity of data.

But I do get the feeling VR isn’t in a great place, and PSVR2 has very quickly dropped into that red-headed Sony stepchild role in terms of marketing and real push. That does concern me.

VR will never be a success if even the people who make it, don’t believe in it, market it, and make it a viable platform with frequent big hits of its own.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Can’t help but want a better source than this. One retailer? In one country? Collated using whatever methods? (I haven’t read the article yet in fairness)

It doesn’t seem worth getting all worked up over such a scarcity of data.

But I do get the feeling VR isn’t in a great place, and PSVR2 has very quickly dropped into that red-headed Sony stepchild role in terms of marketing and real push. That does concern me.

VR will never be a success if even the people who make it, don’t believe in it, market it, and make it a viable platform with frequent big hits of its own.
VR is in a great place and meta is showing tht, PSVR just isn't lighting up those numbers like Meta is.

You want sales? Here...

Arc

5 Sep 2023
VR is in a great place and meta is showing tht, PSVR just isn't lighting up those numbers like Meta is.

You want sales? Here...

Yeah, Quest 2 had fantastic sales right around the lockdowns. But didn’t they taper off a lot? I recall reading that that momentum hadn’t been sustained.

I’m not Matt Pizzatelly or whatever on the sales, but I just haven’t heard much great about unit sales for this segment of the market.

Which is an outright shame. I think VR right alongside the traditional experience is an amazing way to play a game. Honestly. Maybe even better. I know which version of OG Resident Evil 4 I’d do again in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, Quest 2 had fantastic sales right around the lockdowns. But didn’t they taper off a lot? I recall reading that that momentum hadn’t been sustained.

I’m not Matt Pizzatelly or whatever on the sales, but I just haven’t heard much great about unit sales for this segment of the market.

Which is an outright shame. I think VR right alongside the traditional experience is an amazing way to play a game. Honestly. Maybe even better. I know which version of OG Resident Evil 4 I’d do again in a heartbeat.
Nah they were selling by the tens of thousands during the holidays. Quest 2 was out selling Quest 3 due to it's cheaper price by like 40,000 monthly.

"Based on the data we've collected we can see that Quest had a pretty good holiday season with Meta selling at least 320,000 headsets on Amazon US alone between November 16th and January 16th"

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Arc

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Nah they were selling by the tens of thousands during the holidays. Quest 2 was out selling Quest 3 due to it's cheaper price by like 40,000 monthly.

"Based on the data we've collected we can see that Quest had a pretty good holiday season with Meta selling at least 320,000 headsets on Amazon US alone between November 16th and January 16th"
Cheap stuff always sells more units than expensive stuff, with the notable exception of Xbox systems.