Really hope Sony is in talks to acquire Warner Bros games, its not looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Discovery Warner looks like they’re taking a hammer to their HBO Max and film divisions with the restructuring. A lot of stuff is getting cancelled and apparently HBO Max is getting folded into Discovery + and focusing on reality tv.

Sony purchasing those studios and licensing Harry Potter and Lego would be a really smart move for the immediate future. Not only that but they could get Rocksteady, WB Montreal, and Portkey to work on marvel stuff. Create an expanded marvel game universe. Not to mention Mortal Kombat

I have no doubt in my mind with all the rumors floating around the last couple years that they are being auctioned off which is probably why Mortal Kombat isn’t being revealed anytime soon.

It really is game over if sony lets Microsoft acquire them.

Kretos

The Legend - Scourge of the Green Rats
21 Jun 2022
only if they get DC exclusive license

Imagine Spiderman AND Batman PS exclusive

img

P

peter42O

Obviously, I would prefer Microsoft to acquire WB Games and all of DC but I don't see this happening nor do I see Sony getting anything outside of NetherRealm and Mortal Kombat which I believe is a good bet at some point. The CEO of Discovery Warner hasn't been fucking around with their Movies/TV shows but thus far, hasn't changed or done anything game related. As of now, he's left it all as is.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is Sony Pictures a competitor of WB or they work together in some productions? If they are competiton they might sell to Microsoft to spite them 😒

The best would be a partnership for movies and games like they did with Netflix.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Is Sony Pictures a competitor of WB or they work together in some productions? If they are competiton they might sell to Microsoft to spite them 😒

The best would be a partnership for movies and games like they did with Netflix.
They aren’t a direct competitor.

Its more like warner bros vs disney, the only thing sony offers in terms of competition are spider-man movies. Also, i think whoever acquires them would rebrand them. I doubt they keep their association with WB if they are being sold without the IP.

It would be like “Sony is proud to welcome Global Brand Studios’ and mentions how they are formerly WB

And Ed Boon will say “look forward to working with playstation studios to bring MKXII to all platforms, everywhere”

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
With MS buying publishers and companies and other big corps doing the same, it would be wise of Sony

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
WB studios is Warner Bros in name only. You will not get the DC comics IPs.

Without the DC characters it is pointless buying WB studios.

What IP will Sony get? Mortal Kombat?

Not really about IP, sony have IP and they can license IP. They got at least 7 really competent game studios, support studios, nemesis system and other tech, mortal kombat (maybe) outside of batman DC isn’t that big of a seller

Reactions: EDMIX and Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Not really about IP, sony have IP and they can license IP. They got at least 7 really competent game studios, support studios, nemesis system and other tech, mortal kombat (maybe) outside of batman DC isn’t that big of a seller

Hmm, but there’s no guarantee how long the licenses will last.

Eventually we will see a MLB The Show situation.

Or even FIFA.

There are better options in my opinion unless WB decides to sell these studios for cheap.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Do you mean for the movie division?

Because I don’t see use for PlayStation.
If Sony wants a exclusives they just go and ask Wanner and they will be happy let Sony use their characters (Spider-man, Wolverine, etc).

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Do you mean for the movie division?

Because I don’t see use for PlayStation.
If Sony wants a exclusives they just go and ask Wanner and they will be happy let Sony use their characters (Spider-man, Wolverine, etc).

sony dont really have the man power to take on all those extra projects. they would be buying the talent in this case not really the IP

Reactions: ethomaz
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

Most major movie makers, including Disney (+Marvel), WB, and many others sometimes get help for VFX from Sony Pictures Imageworks. What separates Sony Pictures from others is that it's flourishing by cautiously tapping the subscription market and limiting itself from going crazy like all of them in this unreliable business model.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I find that HBO Max rumor.... odd.

Of course throwing "RUMOR" in a tweet w/o a mention of source/how confident they are.. and it's some YouTube channel person? I dunno, I'll believe it when I see it.

I like HBO Max and don't want it to change really.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I find that HBO Max rumor.... odd.

Of course throwing "RUMOR" in a tweet w/o a mention of source/how confident they are.. and it's some YouTube channel person? I dunno, I'll believe it when I see it.

I like HBO Max and don't want it to change really.
I actually see that part of rumor as the only being true.
Their subscribers around 40m doesn’t help financially talking.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I kinda don’t considering none of the max originals have taken off. They’ve cancelled a lot of them already.

I guess I just don't get where the line is drawn.. HBO Max is where I watch all HBO stuff... Barry, Westworld.. any future GoT Spinoffs.. Euophoria.

They really thinking of going back to the old days where the only way to watch HBO scripted content is... cable?

That's the part that seems incredibly odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.