Recent reviews for Starfield on Steam drop to 'mostly negative...'

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't get the hate boner people get for that game. It's not bad; it is just an ok game.
Square PS5 exclusivity poisoned the conversation surrounding the game. They attacked everything about it from Day 1 and then the reviews were mid too.

The same thing is happening with FF16, the game was trashed from the get go because of exclusivity. Any positives were buried. There are still weekly threads shitting on it (28 pages thread on Era in less than a week).

It's an organized campaign to destroy it. They won't let go until the game is on PC/Xbox.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Square PS5 exclusivity poisoned the conversation surrounding the game. They attacked everything about it from Day 1 and then the reviews were mid too.

The same thing is happening with FF16, the game was trashed from the get go because of exclusivity. Any positives were buried. There are still weekly threads shitting on it (28 pages thread on Era in less than a week).

It's an organized campaign to destroy it. They won't let go until the game is on PC/Xbox.
Cant wait for microsoft to exit the gaming space, they and their lackeys should be treated as gaming terrorists

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Cant wait for microsoft to exit the gaming space, they and their lackeys should be treated as gaming terrorists
Once FF16 is on PC/Xbox you will see many LTTP praising the game. Phil will make a big event on stage about it and the hype will beat Starfield.

Right now it's absolutely impossible to have a positive thread on bigger forums. It's poison and it attracts all the haters that were influenced by the general discourse.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
thats retarded, having black/female mcs in a game isn't "woke".
It is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping black woman thief who gets to magically save the world. Why was this the chosen design over anything else? They should have made a hot anime girl MC and it would have sold 10x as much.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping black woman thief who gets to magically save the world. Why was this the chosen design over anything else? They should have made a hot anime girl MC and it would have sold 10x as much.
What the fuck lol? It's one game out of a billion that came out this year, having black people isn't fucking woke

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Edmund and JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
What the fuck lol? It's one game out of a billion that came out this year, having black people isn't fucking woke
I thought he was joking 😂 but I guess black people (women?) should never be allowed in video games ever.

If GTA San Andreas came out today, the internet would be insufferable.

This just shows you didn’t play the game and probably just watched angry reviews about it. It’s a good game with great gameplay and Frey is cute.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I thought he was joking 😂 but I guess black people (women?) should never be allowed in video games ever.

This just shows you didn’t play the game and probably just watched angry reviews about it. It’s a good game with great gameplay and Frey is cute.
As for the "no one wants to play as a black woman thief" argument .. did they have a meltdown over the #6 top grossing marvel movie ever?

Screenshot_20231226_191059.jpg

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Frey being white would not have savesdthe game, look at Horizon and the criticism towards Aloy.

Developers need to realise we don't want Marvel tier writing in our games, give us a brooding stoic protagonist like 2B from Nier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadow2027

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Her color was not an issue but foul-mouthed New Yorker that swears every other word in a Japanese game (played by a british actress) was not a good sell. Frey was mocked even if she was a good character by the end.

A regular anime girl wouldn't get the same backlash.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and Box

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
You're right that in of itself that isn't woke (albeit ironic considering the origin of the phrase woke) but the point is aimed at the mindset of developers and producers of the games and casts doubt on the process. E.g. if you look at the standards for the Oscars:

TWO out of FOUR of the following standards will be required in order for the film to be deemed eligible:
STANDARD A: ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES
A film can achieve this standard by meeting the criteria in at least ONE of the following areas:
A1. Lead or significant supporting actors from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups
At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group in a specific country or territory of production.
A2. General ensemble cast
At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two underrepresented groups, which may include:
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing
A3. Main storyline/subject matter
The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing
The point is that there is a socio-cultural (call it political if you want) push to be inclusionary by inserting minorities into media. You quite literally cannot win an Oscar without doing so any more. You don't remember the criticism of Days Gone for including a white male protagonist? How do you think reviewers would have faired if they had inserted Frey from Forspoken as the lead instead? Hence I think it's disingenious to frame it as "just having black people" when the whole representation issue is about making sure they're proportionally represented based on this socio-political movement. Square Enix literally says this:

“We wanted our hero and other characters in Forspoken to be reflective of our diverse audiences and relatable to our players,” Square Enix said

So the whole point of having Frey as the MC, compared to anyone else, was for the game to be diverse. Regardless of your connotation of "woke" that's pretty much exactly what such criticism of "wokeness" is aimed at. The type of messaging that is pro-diversity is pretty clear in its intent if you look at the Days Gone criticism, Ghost of Tsushima being criticised for being made by white people, FF16 attacked for being too demographically white in-universe, yet we say that there is no impact on the creative design process despite a concerted push for such diversity? That's pretty far-fetched.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Her color was not an issue but foul-mouthed New Yorker that swears every other word in a Japanese game (played by a british actress) was not a good sell. Frey was mocked even if she was a good character by the end.

Yes it can be a bit cringe at time but she’s a teenager 😂 that’s how they talk. I love Life is Strange, it’s one of my favorite games, but every time I replay that game I know there’ll be cringe moments. Because teenager are immature.

Those few moments shouldn’t have an impact on the game as a whole.
This is the issue, a black teen being cringe is bad, a cute anime girl being cringe is ok? 😒 Cmon guys we are better than this

• thinking_hard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I honestly think the problem was the way the game was built up and the way it turned out. The game doesn't look anywhere near as good as the cinematic trailers did. Even if it was a big boobed anime girl the environments would've copped a lot of criticism. The marketing of the game was awful. Also it being $70 made the expectations much higher, if this was a $40-50 game at launch i think the reception would've been much better. It's still like a high 70s game at best though, some of the game design decisions they made werent the best (the first few hours they stick you with the boring earth element skill and you don't get much else)

• brain

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023

That's not what I said at all and being completely bad faith about my argument makes you look ridiculous. GTA Sandrea isn't "woke" because "woke" =! black people as you're implying.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I honestly think the problem was the way the game was built up and the way it turned out. The game doesn't look anywhere near as good as the cinematic trailers did. Even if it was a big boobed anime girl the environments would've copped a lot of criticism. The marketing of the game was awful. Also it being $70 made the expectations much higher, if this was a $40-50 game at launch i think the reception would've been much better. It's still like a high 70s game at best though, some of the game design decisions they made werent the best (the first few hours they stick you with the boring earth element skill and you don't get much else)

People don't have a problem with black women, Yoruchi from Bleach is one of the most popular characters in the Anime and she is black.

If the MC looked like this I can guarantee nobody (besides SJW Reddit Cucks) would be complaining