Recent reviews for Starfield on Steam drop to 'mostly negative...'

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I thought he was joking šŸ˜‚ but I guess black people (women?) should never be allowed in video games ever.

If GTA San Andreas came out today, the internet would be insufferable.

GTA V had a black MC and literally nobody complained, why did you go back to GTA SA?

People don't have a problem with Black characters, we have a problem with cringe Marvel tier writing.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
As for the "no one wants to play as a black woman thief" argument .. did they have a meltdown over the #6 top grossing marvel movie ever?

View attachment 3436
What is the critique here? Black people massively loved that movie and Black actors and politicians do "Wakanda forever" gesture to this day? It was a cultural phenomenon, what does that have to do with the point of discussion? I guess it's relevant if you're trying to strawman what I said into a dislike of certain racial groups, but that isn't what I said.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That's not what I said at all and being completely bad faith about my argument makes you look ridiculous. GTA Sandrea isn't "woke" because "woke" =! black people as you're implying.
How is that bad faith when YOU literally said:

ā€œIt is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping black woman thief who gets to magically save the world.ā€

Youā€™re the one that brought up race and implied that woke = black, not me. How else do you expect people to interpret that sentence? šŸ¤£

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
GTA V had a black MC and literally nobody complained, why did you go back to GTA SA?

People don't have a problem with Black characters, we have a problem with cringe Marvel tier writing.
I brought up San Andreas because 99% of the characters are black, GTAV isnā€™t.

If it was just about the writing then @Nimrota wouldā€™ve said ā€œIt is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping thief who gets to magically save the world. ā€

Instead he said, ā€œIt is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping black woman thief who gets to magically save the world.ā€

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
How is that bad faith when YOU literally said:

ā€œIt is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping black woman thief who gets to magically save the world.ā€

Youā€™re the one that brought up race and implied that woke = black, not me. How else do you expect people to interpret that sentence? šŸ¤£
What I said doesn't imply that characters of certain races are woke. If you look at my other reply and read the Square Enix quote "ā€œWe wanted our hero and other characters in Forspoken to be reflective of our diverse audiences" it's highlighting that there is game design choices which are reflective of socio-cultural beliefs. I am arguing that trying to force those socio-cultural beliefs on the general audience can lead to bad sales because a large portion of the audience are uninterested. Nobody is arguing Miles Morales is woke for being black, though there was criticism that one of the quests was woke because it was pushing a political narrative about police. There is a massive difference there, I would hope you can tell the difference.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I brought up San Andreas because 99% of the characters are black, GTAV isnā€™t.

If it was just about the writing then @Nimrota wouldā€™ve said ā€œIt is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping thief who gets to magically save the world. ā€

Instead he said, ā€œIt is. Barely a fraction of the gaming market is interested in playing as a marvel-quipping black woman thief who gets to magically save the world.ā€
They quite literally made her black to be deliberately diverse. Somehow my pointing out this design decision, and the potential impact it had on the market, is taboo.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They quite literally made her black to be deliberately diverse. Somehow my pointing out this design decision, and the potential impact it had on the market, is taboo.
And yet black panther made over a billion dollars. So the market is there.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
And yet black panther made over a billion dollars. So the market is there.
A venn diagram of the film market and game market isn't a perfect circle. I'm not disputing Black Panther sold well, and I don't think it is "woke" either fwiw, but I hope you can notice that the cultural reception of BP compared to Forspoken was night and day. The original point in question is would Forspoken have sold better with a different MC, and I think it would have. BP wouldn't have sold better with a different MC because the whole point of BP was exploring a black identity. You can dispute the interpretation of that decision, but again, Square Enix said they made that decision to make the game more relatable to certain demographics of their audience, ergo seems a reasonable assumption that changing the MC to be relatable to a different demographic in the gaming space would have yielded more sales.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
A venn diagram of the film market and game market isn't a perfect circle. I'm not disputing Black Panther sold well, and I don't think it is "woke" either fwiw, but I hope you can notice that the cultural reception of BP compared to Forspoken was night and day. The original point in question is would Forspoken have sold better with a different MC, and I think it would have. BP wouldn't have sold better with a different MC because the whole point of BP was exploring a black identity. You can dispute the interpretation of that decision, but again, Square Enix said they made that decision to make the game more relatable to certain demographics of their audience, ergo seems a reasonable assumption that changing the MC to be relatable to a different demographic in the gaming space would have yielded more sales.
So the only explanation for Freya being a black woman who gets magic superpowers isn't that Square saw the success of black panther and said "hey we want some of that money" and is instead that they went full woke?

Keep in mind that Forspoken was actually -criticized- by the woke mob because Frey is a criminal. She's not a lesbian, she isn't super successful in a feminist wish fulfillment type of way, she's just a realistic portrayal of a poor black girl in new york.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
So the only explanation for Freya being a black woman who gets magic superpowers isn't that Square saw the success of black panther and said "hey we want some of that money" and is instead that they went full woke?

Keep in mind that Forspoken was actually -criticized- by the woke mob because Frey is a criminal. She's not a lesbian, she isn't super successful in a feminist wish fulfillment type of way, she's just a realistic portrayal of a poor black girl in new york.
No, you're just imagining in your head the Black Panther stuff. As they stated, they wanted the game to be relatable to a minority demographic. I am suggesting that instead making the game relatable to the majority demographic would have helped sales. The reason this is considered woke is the larger socio-cultural discussion as to inclusion and representation. If they wanted some of the BP money, they really failed didn't they? That being said BP wasn't a random game that came out, it was part of a long history of comics and the whole MCU release schedule. If Square really wants BP money, why don't they make the next FF game 100% black and set in an african-themed world? Surely that would sell like hotcakes since BP performed well.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Anyway, as to Starfield, the reddit mods on /r/Starfield are deleting quite a number of posts that are critical towards the game. One such example. Seems that the loyalists will go down with the ship since admitting BGS made a bad game is beyond the pale.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Anyway, as to Starfield, the reddit mods on /r/Starfield are deleting quite a number of posts that are critical towards the game. One such example. Seems that the loyalists will go down with the ship since admitting BGS made a bad game is beyond the pale.

I really hate reddit and how censor happy thr Mods on there are. It's such a dystopian shithole.

I hate that Reddit killed forums

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
What I said doesn't imply that characters of certain races are woke. If you look at my other reply and read the Square Enix quote "ā€œWe wanted our hero and other characters in Forspoken to be reflective of our diverse audiences" it's highlighting that there is game design choices which are reflective of socio-cultural beliefs. I am arguing that trying to force those socio-cultural beliefs on the general audience can lead to bad sales because a large portion of the audience are uninterested. Nobody is arguing Miles Morales is woke for being black, though there was criticism that one of the quests was woke because it was pushing a political narrative about police. There is a massive difference there, I would hope you can tell the difference.
At first you werenā€™t just ā€œpointing out a design decisionā€, you said it was woke to play as a black girl and that most people donā€™t want to play as one. Then you switched your argument to ā€œIā€™m just pointing it outā€.

This discussion is pointless anyway

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
At first you werenā€™t just ā€œpointing out a design decisionā€, you said it was woke to play as a black girl and that most people donā€™t want to play as one. Then you switched your argument to ā€œIā€™m just pointing it outā€.

This discussion is pointless anyway
I didn't say it was woke to play as a black person. I said it was woke that the MC was black, and that is evidenced by the decisions and statements from Square Enix saying they did it to pander to minorities. It shifted to pointing it out so you can see the evidence for my original claim. If you want to play as black women more power to you. Hopefully Forspoken II can come out with either a Jewish autistic demiromantic queer fat trans man submissive or a Jewish disabled queer fat femme cis woman switch as MC. It's not woke, it's inclusive. Stop erasing these people. They're valid.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I didn't say it was woke to play as a black person. I said it was woke that the MC was black, and that is evidenced by the decisions and statements from Square Enix saying they did it to pander to minorities. It shifted to pointing it out so you can see the evidence for my original claim. If you want to play as black women more power to you. Hopefully Forspoken II can come out with either a Jewish autistic demiromantic queer fat trans man submissive or a Jewish disabled queer fat femme cis woman switch as MC. It's not woke, it's inclusive. Stop erasing these people. They're valid.

The game was woke by making the fantasy land all women led, while all the bad guys seemed to be men. It was the same issue people had with Horizon.

I also don't get why they can't seem to make female MC's heterosexual, why are they always lesbians or asexual.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
The game was woke by making the fantasy land all women led, while all the bad guys seemed to be men. It was the same issue people had with Horizon.

I also don't get why they can't seem to make female MC's heterosexual, why are they always lesbians or asexual.
It's subversive. Maybe they're all followers of Andrea Dworkin's school of feminism: all heterosexual sex is rape. Funny excerpt from an old Tumblr post of someone whining about a feminist Dragon Age writer leaving Bioware:
a female writer in a position that a lot of male gamers are incredibly jealous of, and she was using that position to undermine the absolute monopoly white dudes have on the industry and its storytelling formats. And even outside of that argument, the reason anyone here is getting threats in the first place is that theyā€™re advocating the same policy of inclusiveness
Pretty funny that those words are 10y old and they're practically the same as the arguments in this thread. Inclusiveness, undermine the white dudes, you're just jealous, etc etc.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Evidence that the anti woke crowd can be just as insufferable as the super woke crowd.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Clearly you didnā€™t play it and know nothing about it, literally all the enemy bosses are woman and the final boss is an evil demon.

Crazy how you know nothing about the game and still call it woke šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Clearly you didnā€™t play it and know nothing about it, literally all the enemy bosses are woman and the final boss is an evil demon.

Crazy how you know nothing about the game and still call it woke šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
That's why I stopped responding. There's no conversation to be had with people who didn't play the game and just want to beat their chest about some culture war nonsense.