Redfall Single Player Locked behind Mandatory Online Connection

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Redfall is a multiplayer game first and foremost and was pretty much advertised as such.
The thing is, it isn't advertised like that outside of the first trailer. In that developer direct (or whatever MS calls it) you don't see a co-op partner until a third of the way through.

And online only does mess up the game in the long run. It means you can't game when the internet goes down. Which isn't often but when it does happen (thanks, Comcast!) I pretty much do turn on a game to distract me. It means you can't fuck around with cheats or modding. It means you can't turn the console on (PC term, I know,) if you get trapped in geometry. It means the game will be unplayable in the future when the servers are turned off. It means mandatory downloads every update even if you want to boot the game up at a party or some other time sensitive event. It means that the game goes down whenever MS/Arkane Austin loses internet connection. It means obnoxious live-service content seeping into the "single-player" mode. It means no playing the game if you are banned from XBL and losing your save when you start an alt account.

Online only single-player is bad. Online only single-player is miserable. Online only single-player is trash.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
The thing is, it isn't advertised like that outside of the first trailer. In that developer direct (or whatever MS calls it) you don't see a co-op partner until a third of the way through.

And online only does mess up the game in the long run. It means you can't game when the internet goes down. Which isn't often but when it does happen (thanks, Comcast!) I pretty much do turn on a game to distract me. It means you can't fuck around with cheats or modding. It means you can't turn the console on (PC term, I know,) if you get trapped in geometry. It means the game will be unplayable in the future when the servers are turned off. It means mandatory downloads every update even if you want to boot the game up at a party or some other time sensitive event. It means that the game goes down whenever MS/Arkane Austin loses internet connection. It means obnoxious live-service content seeping into the "single-player" mode. It means no playing the game if you are banned from XBL and losing your save when you start an alt account.

Online only single-player is bad. Online only single-player is miserable. Online only single-player is trash.
So what your saying is GT 7 is trash too? You do realize that nothing lasts forever yes? Eventually Destiny 2 will be shutdown, Sea of Thieves will be shutdown. How many gamss have Sony shut down now too? Guerila games shutdown both of their Killzone titles. Killzone Shadowfall and some other one - the servers are offline rendering the multiplayer playable. Tons of Ubisoft titles too and so did EA.

What you are talking about is NOT exclusive to Redfall. Any online only product will cease to exist sooner or later. Are you planning on playing the same game till you hit your grave? Come on dude.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So what your saying is GT 7 is trash too? You do realize that nothing lasts forever yes? Eventually Destiny 2 will be shutdown, Sea of Thieves will be shutdown. How many gamss have Sony shut down now too? Guerila games shutdown both of their Killzone titles. Killzone Shadowfall and some other one - the servers are offline rendering the multiplayer playable. Tons of Ubisoft titles too and so did EA.

What you are talking about is NOT exclusive to Redfall. Any online only product will cease to exist sooner or later. Are you planning on playing the same game till you hit your grave? Come on dude.
I don't own a PlayStation, I don't give a fuck about Gran Turismo.

Also, another online only drawback, unplayable by deployed soldiers. Doesn't affect me but still bad.

Edit: I've put thousands of hours into Civilization III. In 50 years I'll still be playing it if I haven't died yet. Thank God it's not tied to server, so why don't you get a real fucking argument.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Redfall was called and marketed as a single player game with a multi player option. Destiny 2 is a different breed of game.

You seem to have a big problem with what other people say and a bit of a victim complex when it comes to Microsoft. If you read "some folks" posts, you'll see that the vast majority also slag off Steam and Sony when they employ equally shitty practices. I'm not sure what Halo has to do with Redfall?

We were discussing, just the other day, how Redfall would be playable in single player mode without issue. Now you're saying it's not designed for solo play?
Victim complex when it comes to Microsoft? I can assure you I give 2 shits what Microsoft does with their online policies. They do not affect me in any shape or form. I am simply calling out hypocrites lol.

Yes the game was never intended to be played alone, single player is an option just like Destiny 2 is. Both games were designed around multiplayer. This is a fact. If the game didn't allow single player then that would be much worse.

I do not see anyone slagging of Steam or Sony. Welcome to 2023, the digital world. If you don't like the always online then I suggest you quit the hobby, because more and more titles are heading this direction. That's just the reality.

D

Deleted member 417

If you don't like the always online then I suggest you quit the hobby,
You're a disgrace is this is your attitude. What happened to gaming, for everyone? Inclusivity for all people, regardless of their world view?

It's particularly irksome because I've been gaming since the late 80's, which, admittedly isn't as long as some, and to see the hobby I've put decades in to, like many others, become occupied by corporate ball-washers under the guise of "everyone should be able to play games, casual gamers won't affect your games or how you play", only for those new players to now support and defend practices damaging to the industry, does indeed grip my shit.

More over, for someone who supposedly writes about the industry, your dismissive attitude towards it and its customers shows your inexperience of both business and gaming. How can you support always online? When those servers inevitably shut down, we lose those games, forever. Why would you want to lose those experiences?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You're a disgrace is this is your attitude. What happened to gaming, for everyone? Inclusivity for all people, regardless of their world view?

It's particularly irksome because I've been gaming since the late 80's, which, admittedly isn't as long as some, and to see the hobby I've put decades in to, like many others, become occupied by corporate ball-washers under the guise of "everyone should be able to play games, casual gamers won't affect your games or how you play", only for those new players to now support and defend practices damaging to the industry, does indeed grip my shit.

More over, for someone who supposedly writes about the industry, your dismissive attitude towards it and its customers shows your inexperience of both business and gaming. How can you support always online? When those servers inevitably shut down, we lose those games, forever. Why would you want to lose those experiences?
Easy to support losing ownership when you're receiving copies for free.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023

I think you are blowing this out of proportion. It's not about whether I support always online or not. It's where the industry is heading and there is nothing I can really do about it. The rules of the game have changed, people have changed, monetization has changed, social media has changed everything, including the world, politics and gaming, and as a whole, the industry has changed over the last few decades. Nothing is forever.

As far as the customers go, the only thing I can do is suggest someone or give a piece of advice and an honest opinion of whether I believe game X, Y, or Z is good or bad, and here is why it is good or bad and here is why you should or shouldn't spend your money. My inexperience in both business and gaming? You have no clue what my experience is with gaming and with the business. I have been playing games since the 90s myself, I lived through the PC era and early dial-up and the rise of Facebook, YouTube, and Social Media just like many people have as well. I've met gaming industry executives, producers, CEOs, and so on. And have done over 50 interviews with high-profile people in person. So for you to tell me I have no experience is quite a reach don't you think?

The reality is we are a dying generation of gamers and we are growing old and one day we won't be here anymore. When I was growing up I didn't have a smartphone or a iPad or a VR device. Did you? Pretty positive in the 80s you had even less shit than the people who were born in the 90s My nephew who's 7 years old has already witnessed VR, Smartphones, and Social Media at an extremely young age, and that age is 100% digital. Do you think he's going to give a shit if you have to be always online? His already born into it.

Once again, people here are too upset about someone else having a very strong opinion and the one who actually realizes where the industry is heading in the near future. Me telling someone to quit the hobby simply means that based on what people tell me that the future of gaming doesn't seem like it's going to be for them anymore. It's not me trying to be a dick or snarky to tell you to go away. You either adapt and go with it or you move on with your life.

Do you really think Sony just bought Bungie for shit and giggles? The whole goal was to secure a wide variety of Games As A Service titles for the future. They even came out and officially said they'll have 10 or so games by 2025 that are all based on live service. And all live services games are 100% online only, whether you play alone or not. Destiny 2 is one example, Sea of Thieves is another.

BR Games like Fortnite and Apex Legends are as well. You then have titles like Final Fantasy 14 and World of Warcraft, granted those are MMOs but plenty of people play them solo as well and do solo content and those games require 100% online uptime since the day they were released. I am 100% confident that Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Factions will also be online only 100% of the time. The new upcoming Horizon MMO title or whatever it will be will also be 100% online only and I have no issues with it. Redfall is obviously going to be a live-service game as well. There is no possible human way that Redfall won't be receiving any updates or some sort of playable content.

The game is on Game Pass, the game is online only, and the game supports solo and multiplayer play, the game will be supported as long as it is needed to be supported. I will be very shocked and flabergasted if Redfall isn't a live-service game. Now if you dislike live service titles, it's fine, its not for you. Not everything is made for everyone. It's physically impossible to make everyone happy.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Just like gt7. Fuck that practice.
I like buying physical games and have playable version on the disc just for the sake of it. Feels wrong buying game on disc that won't work on it's own.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Just like gt7. Fuck that practice.
I like buying physical games and have playable version on the disc just for the sake of it. Feels wrong buying game on disc that won't work on it's own.
Games on the disc are an unlock key/license these days for the most part anyways... The only cool physical aspect that is left is having a shelf of game cases at this point.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Redfall is sandwiched between the new Starwars game (Got delayed yesterday to April 28th) and Zelda (May 12th). With its poor showing and now this, i think its safe to say redfall will probably underperform. IMO.
It wasnt gonna sell regardless.

Arkane games dont sell, and a lot of Xbox gamers will only play it on GP.

Reactions: Dabaus

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think you are blowing this out of proportion. It's not about whether I support always online or not. It's where the industry is heading and there is nothing I can really do about it. The rules of the game have changed, people have changed, monetization has changed, social media has changed everything, including the world, politics and gaming, and as a whole, the industry has changed over the last few decades. Nothing is forever.
I remember when Facebook, AAA mobile and consolized PC experiences were the future and we were all going to have to get used to it. We refused to buy the trash and traditional gaming remained a viable market while the "future" chasers failed. All players have to do here is the same. And we are, I never buy forced online games other than MMOs. You'd have to be a fool to do so. Once bitten the game companies will be twice shy and revert back to the norm.

My inexperience in both business and gaming? You have no clue what my experience is with gaming and with the business. I have been playing games since the 90s myself, I lived through the PC era and early dial-up and the rise of Facebook, YouTube, and Social Media just like many people have as well. I've met gaming industry executives, producers, CEOs, and so on. And have done over 50 interviews with high-profile people in person. So for you to tell me I have no experience is quite a reach don't you think?
They are free to want that, as its in their interests, but if they don't provide the product the public wants someone else will. And then, after having their lunch eaten, they will too. This reminds me of the time that Extra Credits, a mobile shovelware developer with a video series, told us all that Facebook games were the future and cited the Civilization FB game as his example. That Civ FB game died after 18 months while the real Civ lives on to this day. Lol "PC era," PC gaming never died and is now bigger than ever.

Do you really think Sony just bought Bungie for shit and giggles? The whole goal was to secure a wide variety of Games As A Service titles for the future. They even came out and officially said they'll have 10 or so games by 2025 that are all based on live service. And all live services games are 100% online only, whether you play alone or not. Destiny 2 is one example, Sea of Thieves is another.
You keep talking about fucking Destiny. As an MMO its irrelevant, Sea of Thieves too. This game is being marketed as a single-player/co-op hybrid game. That means lots of people playing alone, lots playing in squads of up to 4 against NPCs and some doing both. And heck, if your multiplayer experience is just going to be some two player girlfriend gaming you don't even need a net connection for that second one.

As for Sony making online games, some is great as they're a part of a balanced breakfast. Five or ten at the same time will flood the market and die quick deaths after their long and expensive dev cycles. I bet they'd love to have 10 successful GaaSes going at the same time. Sounds like that would make bank. Too bad its totally impossible, the market can't support it. And if it can..... Sony'd be at a major disadvantage in getting there because their competition can rely on cross-platform server counts and the greater pool of potential players they have available.

I will be very shocked and flabergasted if Redfall isn't a live-service game. Now if you dislike live service titles, it's fine, its not for you. Not everything is made for everyone. It's physically impossible to make everyone happy.
Most people don't like GaaS. Arkane Austin had better hope that the actual gameplay is a lot more fun than the trailers make it look (well, it looked great in the first one, been downhill ever since) because if its buggy, grindy and boring then it will die a swift death.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Games on the disc are an unlock key/license these days for the most part anyways... The only cool physical aspect that is left is having a shelf of game cases at this point.
Maybe on Xbox. On ps, all games I have are fully playable.

There is a website to check this