Remember when Naughty Dog used to make New Games

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Theyve been pretty honest about why they won't show games too early anymore
Why? That narrative is just old at this point, four years of coping, they aren't showing because they don't have much to show, their big games are still many years away.

Reactions: Box

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Why? That narrative is just old at this point, four years of coping, they aren't showing because they don't have much to show, their big games are still many years away.

Because they were wildly accused of crunch and if you looked at their glassdoor employee reviews people felt like they had no work/life balance.

They revealed TLOU P2 in 2016 and released it in 2020. If you really think they have nothing to show, you're beyond delusional.

It’ll be worth waiting until the end of the generation. ND has never fumbled, not once IMO

But the narrative that most of them want to go with is that Neil Druckman sunk the company, despite him being a pivotal part of the company himself for most of their legacy days.

I mean just look at the history of their games on metacritic and generally each game has been an absolute banger. I'm not sure a studio has a better track record in the entire industry.

That being said their games take much longer to develop.

They made 4 games on PS1, 4 games on PS2, 4 games on PS3.

Somehow people thought they'd be able to continue making 4 games a generation and that if they aren't, they're failing.

They made only 3 new PS4 games.

One other reality is that they used to iterate more on their games before, but what's funny is that they also get criticized if they do that. Look at Uncharted Lost Legacy. Their games are also significantly longer though.

Uncharted 1 time to beat is 8 hours. 10.5 for uncharted 2, and 9 for uncharted 3.

Last of Us 2 is 25-30 hours.

If they released an 8-10 hour game, I think they would get a lot of criticism.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I mean just look at the history of their games on metacritic and generally each game has been an absolute banger. I'm not sure a studio has a better track record in the entire industry.
They are only rivaled by the likes of FROM(the newest critical darling), Nintendo and Rockstar. Larian is one title away from this status IMO. This is why I say be patient, they are not the type of studio to put out anything that isn't spectacular.

Their schtick, being cutting edge, is what is going to be their biggest challenge. Considering GTAVI got 7 years of development + infinite resources and budget, ND doesn't quite have that luxury, but they will have to match the quality of that game. I'm betting 2026 is the earliest they will ANNOUCE it.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They are only rivaled by the likes of FROM(the newest critical darling), Nintendo and Rockstar. Larian is one title away from this status IMO. This is why I say be patient, they are not the type of studio to put out anything that isn't spectacular.

Their schtick, being cutting edge, is what is going to be their biggest challenge. Considering GTAVI got 7 years of development + infinite resources and budget, ND doesn't quite have that luxury, but they will have to match the quality of that game. I'm betting 2026 is the earliest they will ANNOUCE it.
From made lot of crap in the past until hipsters started to say Demon's Souls and Dark Soul were great instead of a big pile of broken stuff.

Nintendo has a lot of masterpieces, but also a lot of minor games garbage shovelware.

Rockstar, like ND doesn't have big turds even if they had games that were just ok/good but not great like Bully or the Midnight Club stuff.

ND started TLOU Online in 2019, and pretty likely were going to show it last year, but apparently after seeing what they needed to do to turn it into a successful GaaS title they decided to focus on SP only instead.

They have apparently 2 or 3 SP games in the works: one started in early 2021, other started early 2023 (none of them being TLOU3) and who knows if a third one started H2 2023 to relocate people fom TLOU Online (maybe TLOU3).

AAA games now take 5-9 years of development, and Sony now typically anoounce show games -at least showing an in-engine teaser- maximum around half a year before its planned release (with a handful superhero exceptions).

Meaning, outside the exceptions at the earliest Sony would show games when they are minimum 3 and a half years under development, maximum over 8 years under development.

This means that approximately ND would should their next games aprox ranging from being super optimistic to super pessimistic but in both cases somewhat realistic:
  • The 2021 game: from H2 2024 to 2029
  • The H1 2023 game: from H2 2026 to 2031
  • The H2 2023 game (if it exists): from H1 2027 to 2032
TLDR: I think it may be somewhat possible that ND may show their next game later this year, but I think it makes more sense to expect it to be reveale in 2025 or 2026.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
From made lot of crap in the past until hipsters started to say Demon's Souls and Dark Soul were great instead of a big pile of broken stuff.

Nintendo has a lot of masterpieces, but also a lot of minor games garbage shovelware.

Rockstar, like ND doesn't have big turds even if they had games that were just ok/good but not great like Bully or the Midnight Club stuff.

ND started TLOU Online in 2019, and pretty likely were going to show it last year, but apparently after seeing what they needed to do to turn it into a successful GaaS title they decided to focus on SP only instead.

They have apparently 2 or 3 SP games in the works: one started in early 2021, other started early 2023 (none of them being TLOU3) and who knows if a third one started H2 2023 to relocate people fom TLOU Online (maybe TLOU3).

AAA games now take 5-9 years of development, and Sony now typically anoounce show games -at least showing an in-engine teaser- maximum around half a year before its planned release (with a handful superhero exceptions).

Meaning, outside the exceptions at the earliest Sony would show games when they are minimum 3 and a half years under development, maximum over 8 years under development.

This means that approximately ND would should their next games aprox ranging from being super optimistic to super pessimistic but in both cases somewhat realistic:
  • The 2021 game: from H2 2024 to 2029
  • The H1 2023 game: from H2 2026 to 2031
  • The H2 2023 game (if it exists): from H1 2027 to 2032
TLDR: I think it may be somewhat possible that ND may show their next game later this year, but I think it makes more sense to expect it to be reveale in 2025 or 2026.
I thought they had 2 games? One new IP, the other is TLOU.

If I had to guess, new IP is the one started in 2021, This one is likely a 6-8 year project, so 2028 is my rough guess for release.
TLOU3 will be a PS5/PS6 title, likely started after factions cancelled (2023), I'd guess for a 2030 release.
And this mystery title, I'm assuming your talking about the Uncharted title that ND is rumored to oversee?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I thought they had 2 games? One new IP, the other is TLOU.

If I had to guess, new IP is the one started in 2021, This one is likely a 6-8 year project, so 2028 is my rough guess for release.
TLOU3 will be a PS5/PS6 title, likely started after factions cancelled (2023), I'd guess for a 2030 release.
And this mystery title, I'm assuming your talking about the Uncharted title that ND is rumored to oversee?
Druckman said that months after shipping TLOU2 they started to work on a SP game that wasn't TLOU3.

Later he said (in the TLOU2 Grounded documentary) that they started to work in a SP game that wasn't TLOU 3.

In the TLOU2 Grounded documentary (I'd bet filmed around a year ago) he says they aren't working on TLOU3 but that they finally found a story compelling enough for it.

This means that at some point they were working on 3 new games at the same time: TLOU Online + 2 new SP games.

Later they cancelled TLOU Online mentioned they had multiple (meaning, minimum 2) new SP games under development.

ND never said they are working on 3 SP games at the same time, but my personal speculation/guess is that once they found a compelling enough story and motivation to make TLOU3 dediced to kill TLOU Online and move to TLOU3 a big part of the work done and manpower they had made for TLOU Online.

So TLDR, my personal guess is:
  • The title ND started to work in around 2021 would be an Uncharted game with the daughter having an important/protagonist role (remember we apparently saw her teased in a PS real action tv ad), which would be the project that Bend started
  • The project started in H1 2023 -after a super long preproduction- would be a new IP
  • After killing TLOU Online in H2 2023 they started to work on TLOU3, which would feaure an important chunch or refurbished stuff from TLOU Online
I'd say they got ideas for TLOU3 from the tv show writers/HBO showrunner and from TLOU Online, mixed with the short mainline story draft concept Druckmann wrote just after TLOU2.

I think Bluepoint (who did the Nathan Drake Collection remasters) may be supporting/codeveloping the Uncharted game since they shipped GoWR if they are not codeveloping/supporting the next GoW title.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Druckman said that months after shipping TLOU2 they started to work on a SP game that wasn't TLOU3.

Later he said (in the TLOU2 Grounded documentary) that they started to work in a SP game that wasn't TLOU 3.

In the TLOU2 Grounded documentary (I'd bet filmed around a year ago) he says they aren't working on TLOU3 but that they finally found a story compelling enough for it.

This means that at some point they were working on 3 new games at the same time: TLOU Online + 2 new SP games.

Later they cancelled TLOU Online mentioned they had multiple (meaning, minimum 2) new SP games under development.

ND never said they are working on 3 SP games at the same time, but my personal speculation/guess is that once they found a compelling enough story and motivation to make TLOU3 dediced to kill TLOU Online and move to TLOU3 a big part of the work done and manpower they had made for TLOU Online.

So my personal guess is:
  • The title they started to work in around 2021 would be an Uncharted game with the daughter having an important/protagonist role, it would be the project that Bend started
  • The project started in H1 2023 would be a new IP
  • The project started in H2 2023 would be TLOU3, which would feaure an important chunch or refurbished stuff from TLOU Online
Yeah, this is the most logical answer. We gotta wait awhile, but it think ND will makes it's fans proud.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, this is the most logical answer. We gotta wait awhile, but it think ND will makes it's fans proud.
Yes. I think in 2024 Sony will show gameplay reveals of Concord, Until Dawn remake, Marathon, Death Stranding 2 and maybe Venom, Fairgame$, Horizon Online, next Team Asobi game or Cory's new IP. Plus minor stuff like Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside and pretty likely something for VR or some other minor 2nd party title from someone like Sumo Digital.

Not all of them, I think some of these things will be left to be shown in 2025, but I think Sony has more than enough stuff to keep their fans happy (outside the minority which are their noisy and rabid gaming flatearther fanboys who complain about everything and say that Sony games don't exist and that PS is doomed).

I think Sony has enough to show during 2024 and 2025 to let ND work and don't show anything form them until minimum 2025 or 2026. And once done I assume most people will like it even if there will be complains about Drake being replaced by a man looking ugly lesbian female orc with a wig that was going to be supposed the daughter.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Naughty Dog has been doing this consistently since the 90s or at least at this level since the mid 2000s.

Nintendo isn't one studio

Rockstar is definitely a level higher than Naughty Dog but they produce far fewer games, but again to your point people feel like they're worth waiting for

Larian has to do a lot more to get into that league.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The next naughty dog game will score an 83 on meta, the memes will be legendary. Hope Druckmann can get his gaming media buddies to circle the wagons again like TLoU 2

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Naughty Dog has been doing this consistently since the 90s or at least at this level since the mid 2000s.

Nintendo isn't one studio

Rockstar is definitely a level higher than Naughty Dog but they produce far fewer games, but again to your point people feel like they're worth waiting for

Larian has to do a lot more to get into that league.
I mean Nintendo EPD. Larian def has it's work cut out ahead, but they are on the trajectory 100%

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

No wonder nobody takes you seriously with opinions like that

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No wonder nobody takes you seriously with opinions like that
Shut up and go back to your cave, you troll. Educate yourself and learn to behave as a decent human being.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Shut up and go back to your cave, you troll. Educate yourself and learn to behave as a decent human being.

Dark souls is widely regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, yet we have u here calling it a "pile of crap".

Look in the mirror before accusing others of trolling

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Dark souls is widely regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, yet we have u here calling it a "pile of crap".

Look in the mirror before accusing others of trolling
From released Enchanted Arms prior to Demon's Souls and it was, indeed, a "pile of broken stuff". Sony didn't even want to publish Demon's Souls in NA/EU and handed it off to Atlus. @Yurinka is absolutely right here and this is yet another instance of you posting some of the dumbest things I've ever seen a person post in a forum. Not smart enough to be considered trolling. The anti-intellectual brigade on here that misrepresents insightful posts and calls them troll posts is pretty maddening.

Reactions: Vertigo

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
From released Enchanted Arms prior to Demon's Souls and it was, indeed, a "pile of broken stuff". Sony didn't even want to publish Demon's Souls in NA/EU and handed it off to Atlus. @Yurinka is absolutely right here and this is yet another instance of you posting some of the dumbest things I've ever seen a person post in a forum. Not smart enough to be considered trolling. The anti-intellectual brigade on here that misrepresents insightful posts and calls them troll posts is pretty maddening.
How about you look at yourself?

Enchanched Arms nothing to do with Demon's Souls or discussion. Even if i grant you that, it doesn't mean that if X game is shit that Y game is or will be shit.

Sony published it in Japan so much for didn't want to publish.. and Namco Bandai published in EU.
Yurinka absolutely not right, hipsters has nothing to do with it, as many sites found the game GOTY, not just that, game scored 89.
Game became insta classic which practically was a breakthrough for a new set of class in gaming genre - Souls(Kings Field crying in the corner). Plus was one of the most requested games of all time to be remade or remastered.
The same with Bloodborne, interesting who made that game too!? 🤔
And his post wasn't insightful at all on this case it was stupid as fuck, not only about Demon's Souls but also about From Software and present studio standing.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

This has got to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen. I was quoting his post on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and you go off on some non Sequitor.

You seem awfully confused about basic sentence structure. Maybe focus on that before critiquing other people's intelligence. You use "released" and "prior" in the same sentence? Because historically speaking, things can't be released after something else exists.

• haha
Reactions: Polyh3dron

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
You use "released" and "prior" in the same sentence? Because historically speaking, things can't be released after something else exists.
Wow. You really are a genius. Congratulations.

Enchanted Arms released prior to Demon’s Souls.

“Prior to” means “before”

I swear I am wasting my time here. But do yourself a favor and look up “Dunning-Kruger”.

There are a number of exceptional posters here, but you somehow stand head and shoulders above them all.

Last edited: