Remnant 2 - An Unreal Engine 5 Nanite Showcase? PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S DF Tech Review

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yea, I noticed this too over a friends house. The low resolution rendering 1080p scaled up to a 4k tv doesnt' look the same as a 4k rendering resolution scaled up to a 4k tv. I guess it's because there isn't any other data they can use to make the pixel colors 1:1? You got 1 pixel that needs to stretch up to 4 pixels, right? Whereas in the 4k to 4k scenario, you got 1 pixel scaling exactly to the 4k image tv producing a 1 to 1 transition.

Nobody is arguing the game is sharper or as sharp as a native 4k game. The argument is that the game is blurry, which it isn't.

I never even played the game on a 1080. Its not blurry. Is it the sharpest game ever? No. Is it blurry? Also no.

@ethomaz you don't need to be an asshole and drop a laughing emoji on every comment that disagrees with your theory. We get it, you think it's blurry despite everybody telling you it isn't, and you are adamant that a couple of pictures taken from a monitor up close somehow prove that. Congrats.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nobody is arguing the game is sharper or as sharp as a native 4k game. The argument is that the game is blurry, which it isn't.

@ethomaz you don't need to be an asshole and drop a laughing emoji on every comment that disagrees with your theory. We get it, you think it's blurry despite everybody telling you it isn't, and you are adamant that a couple of pictures taken from a monitor up close somehow prove that. Congrats.
It is blury so yes I will laugh at you.
I can't help youself to understand that.
And it is not even a theory.

BTW I know you will try to find some spin like up close monitor when I faced that on my TV in the first time I played it on a 4k TV.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
It is blury so yes I will laugh at you.
I can't help youself to understand that.
And it is not even a theory.

BTW I know you will try to find some spin like up close monitor when I faced that on my TV in the first time I played it on a 4k TV.

So basically, you will (try) to make fun of any opinion or even fact that doesn't align with your worldview? I think you need to touch some grass and grow up because there are 14-year-old kids with better maturity than that. This is why nobody takes you seriously/

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So basically, you will (try) to make fun of any opinion or even fact that doesn't align with your worldview? I think you need to touch some grass and grow up because there are 14-year-old kids with better maturity than that. This is why nobody takes you seriously/
You can think what you want it doesn't matter because I showed you proof.
So you can continue beliving it is not blurry but you can't go and reply to others that not because it is a fact.
You want to deny what others knows with false narrative... that doesn't work.

But hey... open the game, take a pricture and post here 🤷‍♂️
Let people know how "sharp" the game is.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
You can think what you want it doesn't matter because I showed you proof.
So you can continue beliving it is not blurry but you can't go and reply to others that not because it is a fact.
You want to deny what others knows with false narrative... that doesn't work.

But hey... open the game, take a pricture and post here 🤷‍♂️
Let people know how "sharp" the game is.

Proof: Shitty pictures off of a display. Gotcha.

And I don't care enough about this to prove you wrong, I was going to grab my DSLR and tripod to take proper pictures, but why bother? You will just come up with some shitty excuse as to how your opinion is better than other people's opinions (even when your opinion has no facts to back it up). So here, take a cookie.

Cookie Dancing GIF

Edit: multiple people told you you're wrong, it's not just me.

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
But I think @ethomaz is trying to say is that when you look at the 4k native and the 4k upscaled from 1080p side-by-side, it looks blurry compared to it. That's not lying. I think you are thinking 4k upscaled isn't blurry when not compared to anything and that can be subjective?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
But I think @ethomaz is trying to say is that when you look at the 4k native and the 4k upscaled from 1080p side-by-side, it looks blurry compared to it. That's not lying. I think you are thinking 4k upscaled isn't blurry when not compared to anything and that can be subjective?
I can understand he thinking it is sharp due the lack of comparision... I mean he only played the game in a 4k TV.

But I played several hours in sequence when my 1080p TV broke and after I shift to 4k TV I noticied the first thing.
In the 1080p that blur (or soft) IQ was not there... it had some alising? Yes but the IQ was very sharp.
And on 4K TV the IQ become blur.

Of course it is easyly explained... in my 1080p TV no scaling was happenign so what the GPU rendered was being sent to TV.
While in the 4k TV PS5 was getting the same 1080p render and doing the Checkboard to reach a 4k signal.

That 4k signal/output has a lot of articial blur added.

Today was the first time I saw pics from the PC build (due this discussion)... and even with DLSS that blur found on PS5 in 4k TVs is way less noticiable.
So I took a pricutre from DF (that he believed was offscrren lol) and posted here to show the difference.
I even cut it to show where it is very easy to notice. because in the full picture you cleary can see the door (or the entrace) on the back, rocks, stairs, the fog, lighting souces, etc are all have blur effect over them.

The IQ of PS5 Retunal in 4k TVs are not sharp at all... or maybe there are some other definition fo "less" sharp that for me it is just blur... if you have blur it is not sharp imo.

But he is denying for deny... it is not use.

Reactions: Frozone

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

A game being blurry and a game being less sharp are different things.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
A game being blurry and a game being less sharp are different things.
There is no such thing as "less sharp" or can I call it "less blurry"?
Or it is sharp or it is blurry... if there is blur it blurry it is sharp it is sharp.
Any image that has blur is not sharp at all... it is blurry.

Ohhhh but I can control the amount of sharp I have with "sharpness"... nope you can control the amount of blur that is exactly what Sharpness do (tries to remove the blur to make the image sharp but it doesn't make a good job btw).

crowned_crane_blurred.vs.sharp.jpg

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
There is no such thing as "less sharp" or can I call it "less blurry"?
Or it is sharp or it is blurry... if there is blur it blurry it is sharp it is sharp.
Any image that has blur is not sharp at all... it is blurry.

There is such thing. Here's a thought experiment:

Let's assume game A runs very sharp at 4k, and both you and me agree the game is indeed, very sharp. Now let's assume this game gets patched with a supersampling option, allowing you to render at 8k. This will make the game even sharper when displayed in a 4k display.

According to my logic, both of them are sharp, with the supersampled game being sharper.
According to your logic, the quality mode for this game went from being sharp to blurry, simply because a sharper version now exists.

I'm sure you won't see the flaw in your logic and you will keep acting all high and mighty, as per usual, so let's leave it at this.

• haha

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Left side has a lot of blur... it is impossible not to see it... even the right side is blurry because in a way less extend than left side.
You guys probably play games thinking it is sharp when it is not lol
Nope.
It's as simple as:
1080p looks sharp.
4K looks sharper.

A supersampled 4k->1080p game looks sharper than a native 1080p game.

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nope.
It's as simple as:
1080p looks sharp.
4K looks sharper.

1080p output without any blurry AA looks sharper in a 1080p TV.
1080p output will never looks sharper in a 4k TV.

A both 1080p on 1080p TV or 4k on 4k TV looks sharp (again without any AA blurry)... you can see more detail in the 4k signal/TV but both are identical sharp.

Now I understand you guys don't know what sharp is.

Supersample eliminates aliasing... it is not sharper... it as shap like the native 1080p without AA issues.
BTW supersample lose details compared with the 4k native image it originated.

I think you guys are being tricked by the AA most devs uses that add a lot of blur so you believe there is a "level" of sharp.

If it has blur it is not sharp.

Returnal PS5 has a lot of blur when playing in a 4K TV due the lack of resoltuion (the temporal pixles created to make up the resolution makes the image blurry)... if it had a native 4k resoltuion it should as shap as it is on 1080p TVs plus with more details due the higher resoltuion (that will again trick you believing you have a "more" sharper image when you have the same sharp image with more details).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There is such thing. Here's a thought experiment:

Let's assume game A runs very sharp at 4k, and both you and me agree the game is indeed, very sharp. Now let's assume this game gets patched with a supersampling option, allowing you to render at 8k. This will make the game even sharper when displayed in a 4k display.

According to my logic, both of them are sharp, with the supersampled game being sharper.
According to your logic, the quality mode for this game went from being sharp to blurry, simply because a sharper version now exists.

I'm sure you won't see the flaw in your logic and you will keep acting all high and mighty, as per usual, so let's leave it at this.
Supersampling eliminates aliasing.
It doesn't make the game sharp lol

Both the 4k native and supersampled from 8k to 4k are sharp (since there is no blurry AA used in neither).

Are you mistaking the level of aliasing in the image as "level" of sharp?