Remnant 2 - An Unreal Engine 5 Nanite Showcase? PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S DF Tech Review

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Supersampling eliminates aliasing.
It doesn't make the game sharp lol

Both the 4k native and supersampled from 8k to 4k are sharp (since there is no blurry AA used in neither).

Are you mistaking the level of aliasing in the image as "level" of sharp?

It eliminates aliasing by "condensing" the image in a lower resolution. It's not your typical anti-aliasing that smoothens the edges, it makes them more defined, ergo sharper.

And no, I'm not mistaking aliasing for sharpening. As I said, refuse to concede and would come up with something to ignore your flawed logic. I sometimes wonder if you're just trolling

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It eliminates aliasing by "condensing" the image in a lower resolution. It's not your typical anti-aliasing that smoothens the edges, it makes them more defined, ergo sharper.

And no, I'm not mistaking aliasing for sharpening. As I said, refuse to concede and would come up with something to ignore your flawed logic. I sometimes wonder if you're just trolling
If for you trolling is showing facts then I have no ideia what are you doing here.

I showed you the image is not sharp because it is not.
And you come with supersampling without understand what supersampling does... it doesn't make the image "more" sharp at all.

While they are 4k native pixels in the final image it will be equal sharp in a 4k screen because all pixles are being filled.
Of course the supersample will have better edges because that is the beneficie of it (it is basically the best and more expensive AA solution).

I will let that here please watch in a 4k screen.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
If for you trolling is showing facts then I have no ideia what are you doing here.

I showed you the image is not sharp because it is not.
And you come with supersampling without understand what supersampling does... it doesn't make the image "more" sharp at all.

While they are 4k native pixels in the final image it will be equal sharp in a 4k screen because all pixles are being filled.
Of course the supersample will have better edges because that is the beneficie of it (it is basically the best and more expensive AA solution).

I will let that here please watch in a 4k screen.

I don't need you to explain concepts I probably know better than you. And no, the game is not blurry, and yes, your logic is flawed.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't need you to explain concepts I probably know better than you. And no, the game is not blurry, and yes, your logic is flawed.
Sure... saying you know better but showing the opposite tells a lot.
And it is not logic... it is facts.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Nope.
It's as simple as:
1080p looks sharp.
4K looks sharper.

A supersampled 4k->1080p game looks sharper than a native 1080p game.
1080p looks sharp on a 1080p TV. It looks blurry on a 4K TV (due to upsampling) compared to a 4k image on a 4k TV.

You are literally taking 4 pixels of a TV and taking the average of them to get 1 pixel. That's going to look blurry compared to a 1080p image on a 1080p TV that doesn't have to do the blurring.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
1080p looks sharp on a 1080p TV. It looks blurry on a 4K TV (due to upsampling) compared to a 4k image on a 4k TV.

You are literally taking 4 pixels of a TV and taking the average of them to get 1 pixel. That's going to look blurry compared to a 1080p image on a 1080p TV that doesn't have to do the blurring.
It depends on the algorithm that's used to do upsampling. For example DLSS upsampling from 1080p to 4k looks just as sharp as native most of the time.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It depends on the algorithm that's used to do upsampling. For example DLSS upsampling from 1080p to 4k looks just as sharp as native most of the time.
If there is no AA involved in the native image then DLSS wlll as sharp but with that you have advantages and disadvantages in others parts.
For example DLSS will have way less aliasing than native (again native here is not having AA) but at same time you will deal with artifacts and it will have that (I don't know how to explain better) oil painting look.

Now if you add AA to the native resoltuion then it will all depends on the AA solution... most will make the image blurry and not sharp as DLSS.

IMO native + supersample (DSR) will give you better results than DLSS but it will need near four times the processing power for that... in eficiency terms DLSS is the big winner.

Reactions: Frozone

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

It looks sharp on my 4K TV.
Like I said, you need a new tv.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

The game is not even 1080p, it's 4k. They upsampled to 1440p and then used checkerboarding to bump it to 4k.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
The game is not even 1080p, it's 4k. They upsampled to 1440p and then used checkerboarding to bump it to 4k.
I believe the rendering resolution is 1080p. You can't go from 1080p to a higher resolution without averaging the pixels together - which would cause the image to blur compared to a straight 1080p TV where there is no upscaling whatsoever. So if you had 2 TVs beside each other, 1 is 1080p and the other is 4k, the 1 that is 1080p would look sharper than the one that's 4k because of the upscaling.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Never felt it was blurry and all my tvs are 4k.
The same as me, i have like 70h in game time. Never ever would i say it is blurry.

More than anything knowing that the game is FHD is even more impressive because it looks fantastic.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I believe the rendering resolution is 1080p. You can't go from 1080p to a higher resolution without averaging the pixels together - which would cause the image to blur compared to a straight 1080p TV where there is no upscaling whatsoever. So if you had 2 TVs beside each other, 1 is 1080p and the other is 4k, the 1 that is 1080p would look sharper than the one that's 4k because of the upscaling.

Right. But the 1080p looking sharper doesn't make the 4k blurry.

Also, upscaling techniques exist, some that ensure pretty much parity quality wise.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just looked at original DF analysis...

They said the game was blury too :ROFLMAO:

image-2023-08-01-104551325.png

image-2023-08-01-104843695.png

Last edited: