Reuters] Sony facing $7.9 bln mass lawsuit over PlayStation Store prices

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yeah I agree But keeping prices low is good for consumers And if consumers only have one singular outlet to purchase their products then they will just inflate the prices of the products for the sake of doing it.

While I agree with this, and more choice is theoretically always a good thing, Sony does not determine the price of third party games: The developer does. Having 50 storefronts will not change that, the same way lowering the "cut" will not decrease prices.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why is Sony always the target?
Because they are the console market leaders, the top grossing one. So they have more enemies after them, so court trolls would target them because they make more money there, not the last one in the race.

Same reason of why on mobile Apple or sometimes Google are the target.

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah I agree But keeping prices low is good for consumers And if consumers only have one singular outlet to purchase their products then they will just inflate the prices of the products for the sake of doing it.
To some degree, online stores on consoles are already inflated.

If they raise the prices too much this will open the door for more competition. Others will say, hey if we invest this much we can sell our AAA games at $150 a piece as well, there is tons of money to be made. Their clients (us) will also be upset and ready to jump ship at the first occasion.

People don't even have to buy consoles to play games either, so in the end if the pricing is abusive the consoles will price themselves into irrelevance. Phones are right there, people can tell their kids, we will not buy that PS console, just play that free game on the phone and be happy.

Or get a cheapo PC and pirate all these games.

So even if both Nintendo and MS were to close shop next year for some reason (MS is apparently committed until 2027, Nintendo obviously won't go)... There would still be a significant amount of outside pressure.

People can't just set the price "for the sake of doing it", unless we are talking about pharmaceuticals or other services our lives depend on. There is always the risk of a consumer revolt too.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I heard about this. Most comments I've read about this said that the person suing is unlikely to win. Sill fishy that these courts always seem to be for Microsoft and against PlayStation though.
I don't know anything about this lawsuit but I will say not everything negative is brought on by MS and the bad media. Every single thread has some stuff bout "Shills" and MS pays everyone, even governments, etc. It gets old. I get it, the VAST MAJORITY here hate MS but sometimes the things I read here are a little out there.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
@MScarpa

What's the matter, shill? Why delete your post? Copium getting to be a bit too much?

By the way, where's that 28 billion MS owes the IRS?
I didn't delete my post. What are you talking about? Dude I just purchased a PSVR2 and 8 VR games 2 days ago. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't know anything about this lawsuit but I will say not everything negative is brought on by MS and the bad media. Every single thread has some stuff bout "Shills" and MS pays everyone, even governments, etc. It gets old. I get it, the VAST MAJORITY here hate MS but sometimes the things I read here are a little out there.
Well, we don't know which people actually get compensation from MS in one way or another... So we have to take everything that is suspiciously spun in a positive direction for them, or people being soft on them when they offer garbage, people pushing for Starfield to be GoTY or even candiate, etc. with great suspicion, because of the leaks we know they are in bed with a lot of people.

- MS cultivate people with influence in the gaming media press\online presence, they give them gifts and access at the very least
- MS is also known to plant people high up in a business structure (Nokia, ChatGPT, etc.) to tip the scale toward easy purchase

So yes, since we don't know, everybody is assumed to be an MS shill of some sort, when they are not assumed to be some sort of AI chat bot.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Worst case scenario for sony they could agree to add games to other store fronts, but dont they do that already with steam?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Well, we don't know which people actually get compensation from MS in one way or another... So we have to take everything that is suspiciously spun in a positive direction for them, or people being soft on them when they offer garbage, people pushing for Starfield to be GoTY or even candiate, etc. with great suspicion, because of the leaks we know they are in bed with a lot of people.

- MS cultivate people with influence in the gaming media press\online presence, they give them gifts and access at the very least
- MS is also known to plant people high up in a business structure (Nokia, ChatGPT, etc.) to tip the scale toward easy purchase

So yes, since we don't know, everybody is assumed to be an MS shill of some sort, when they are not assumed to be some sort of AI chat bot.
All on has to do is look at the long history of Microsoft hiring friendly members of the press into their studios to see why writers play nice with Xbox.

Almost half of the editorial staff of EGM in the early 2000s ended up working at various MS studios.

• party
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Just like that article pure Xbox wrote the other day praising Phil Spencer for 'mentoring' games critics , I haven't seen a single journalist call out the obvious shenanigans going on with that shit

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I decided to check out Xbox fanboy podcasts because they always pop up in my feed (I occasionally hate watch) and they’ve decided to focus on this and tell their fans to wait to next year. So it’s wait til Xbox gets it ls act together and pray for the downfall of PlayStation from outside forces in the meantime.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Just feels like all of these people and places started going after them with increased aggression since they first opposed the ABK deal, something any company in their position would have done because it objectively has a negative effect on them and anyone who games on their platform. Not sure why you decided to take issue with my post in particular, and I agree not everything is a conspiracy, but the aggressive push against PlayStation feels a bit much relative to what is actually happening, and you don't ever seem to have this level of critique for Xbox fanboys who say ridiculous things, even though there are plenty of examples. Try to have a little consistency with your outrage.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Remember when ppl thought we'd get discounted digital prices because it cut out having to pay for hard covers, physical copies, pamphlets, etc 😂
Interestingly, for about 9 months after the Canadian dollar cratered, digital prices stayed at par with the US dollar while physical releases in Canada crept up in price.

Then the digital prices jumped right up to par with physical, because we can’t have nice things.

Last edited:
  • party
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Remember when ppl thought we'd get discounted digital prices because it cut out having to pay for hard covers, physical copies, pamphlets, etc 😂
These people did not understand what being locked into an ecosystem does.

Also, unlimited offer does not necessarily means that prices go down (unfortunately this is not all "offer and demand").
Interestingly, for about 9 months after the Canadian dollar cratered, digital prices stayed at pa with the IS dollar while physical releases in Canada crept up in price.

Then the digital prices jumped right up to par with physical, because we can’t have nice things.
I have many Canadian Pesos too.

Back around 2012 it was great.

Reactions: Gamernyc78