Rise of Ronin Review and |OT| "Discipline first, discipline forever"

What do you think will be the metacrituc average?

• 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • 81-90

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 91-100

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's why it's good not to necessarily listen to professionals. A game might drop a few seconds to 56fps and be a little blurry and they make it seem like it's the end of the world.
Then why do you listen to these clowns at Digital Fraudry?

The game looks fine unless you're a maniac and everything needs to be perfect at all times.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Then why do you listen to these clowns at Digital Fraudry?

The game looks fine unless you're a maniac and everything needs to be perfect at all times.
OH I take into account several different perspectives including theirs. I've been torn getting either or because DD is in the race too.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Rise-of-the-Ronin-6-1440x810.jpg

The director of Rise of the Ronin says he wants to see Team Ninja‘s next game accomplish things that couldn’t be managed this time around.

Before the PS5 exclusive’s release last week, Fumihiko Yasuda and producer Yosuke Hayashi spoke to VGC about its development and the lessons it had taken from the experience.

“Until now, we’ve been creating games based on Ninjas and Samurais,” he told us. “We wanted to create a game that has a sense of freedom as well as a rich story.

“For this title, we decided on the concept of Ronin. We wanted players to become a Ronin, explore an open world and be able to affect the story. Of course, we have established a foundation with our action combat systems.”

“Rise of the Ronin was a big challenge for us, because it’s something we hadn’t done up until now in terms of the level of freedom and the story while retaining the action gameplay. I believe we were able to realise the concept, and I’m hoping that as players get their hands on the game, they’ll be able to experience it as we originally envisioned it.

“I think going forward, our challenge is to build from that and perhaps achieve things we weren’t able to do this time, and continue to build from there.”

via VGC

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Rise-of-the-Ronin-6-1440x810.jpg

The director of Rise of the Ronin says he wants to see Team Ninja‘s next game accomplish things that couldn’t be managed this time around.

Before the PS5 exclusive’s release last week, Fumihiko Yasuda and producer Yosuke Hayashi spoke to VGC about its development and the lessons it had taken from the experience.

via VGC
i spoke about it before FF Origins, was it 2021? they need better engine. Katana is too old and is a bad fit for open world. i know, it works flawlessly in combat, and has near bug free, glitch free experience, but they would benefit long run just to upgrade it. it must happen.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Ok by now I have put in about 20 hrs each in both DD2 And Ronin so I feel like I can provide an insight in what works and what doesn't work for each of them. For DD2 i felt like the journey is more enjoyable than the destination, for example if a quest takes me to a place on the map, the long winded journey to get there is more interesting than the actual quest I do when I reach the destination. I fought an ogre, a cyclops and a minotaur many times while travelling and for completing the quests I had to clear camps and caves of mundane saurians and goblins.

Ronin is quite the opposite, the open world doesn't throw any major surprises at you. You can find and kill fugitives etc etc but there is no big wow moments like a minotaur crashing into your party like in DD2. What ronin excels at is its combat and bosses you fight in the main missions, It also excels at making you feel like a wandering swordsman in the japanese countryside while out in the open world.

One major gripe of mine with DD2 is that is quite front loaded, correct me if I am wrong but there are only 2 unique monsters that you can fight- Talos and Sphinx. The other monsters you can find all within the first few hours of starting the game- ogre, cyclops, minotaur, griffin, drake, chimera, golem and dullahans & wights at night. By the time I got to battahl there was nothing new to discover and fight

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Ok by now I have put in about 20 hrs each in both DD2 And Ronin so I feel like I can provide an insight in what works and what doesn't work for each of them. For DD2 i felt like the journey is more enjoyable than the destination, for example if a quest takes me to a place on the map, the long winded journey to get there is more interesting than the actual quest I do when I reach the destination. I fought an ogre, a cyclops and a minotaur many times while travelling and for completing the quests I had to clear camps and caves of mundane saurians and goblins.

Ronin is quite the opposite, the open world doesn't throw any major surprises at you. You can find and kill fugitives etc etc but there is no big wow moments like a minotaur crashing into your party like in DD2. What ronin excels at is its combat and bosses you fight in the main missions, It also excels at making you feel like a wandering swordsman in the japanese countryside while out in the open world.

One major gripe of mine with DD2 is that is quite front loaded, correct me if I am wrong but there are only 2 unique monsters that you can fight- Talos and Sphinx. The other monsters you can find all within the first few hours of starting the game- ogre, cyclops, minotaur, griffin, drake, chimera, golem and dullahans & wights at night. By the time I got to battahl there was nothing new to discover and fight
Thanks for the insight.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Take into account that Ronin is trying to be as grounded as possible, so you can't throw beast and imaginary things at will, like they did with NioH or Wo Long.
Ronin also has diverse dynamic events, in addition to fugitives, clearing camps and making other captives free.

Thanks for input.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

No wonder reviewers loved DD2. They didn't play enough of it to realize the game was so front loaded.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
I’m almost at the end of Chapter 1 of 3. My early quick impressions.

Pros:

• Great accessibility options
  • Combat is good, fluid and challenging
  • Has difficulty settings
  • Performance seems consistent
  • Skill tree is easy to use as is the map
  • Character customization is great
  • Plenty of fast travel locations to unlock
  • Grappling rope is fun to traverse buildings and quickly removing yourself from overwhelming fights
  • Auto collect
  • Fun to play
  • Prologue was very helpful to understand controls
Cons:

• Ugly
  • Pop in
  • Clipping
  • Floating feet
  • Story is so so
  • Acting is mid
  • Counterspark seems finicky at times, so I just evade
Bought on PS Store for $69.99. Seems worth it so far.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Man I suck at this game. I am getting my ass handed to me and I am on easy. I mean, A DRUNK guy is kicking my ass right now :(

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Decent-good game. The combat isn't great for me.It's just bosses with unlimited stamina spamming flashy moves. And you get a counter in every now and then.A lot of having to just over slashing the enemy. Not stylish it's just sloppy fights to me.

I don't know how to describe it. There's no combat tension or jeopardy to the fights. ghost, sekiro or even demon souls. Where your in a fight strikes matter.There's a combat flow, timing windows ,counter windows. Stalling windows. The bosses in Ronin just spam flashy moves they don't size you up, stalk or wait on you. Not very smart A.I..

The counter button is not accurate either. It's inconsistent.They went for some weird sword swivel for counter. I dont think the hit detection is accurate. Everyone else uses block guard which has a higher detection rate.

Every cool attack is like fast forwarded.It just lacks combat flow.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Gediminas

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Still haven't had the time to start :( gotta beat tis before stellar blade

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Decent-good game. The combat isn't great for me.It's just bosses with unlimited stamina spamming flashy moves. And you get a counter in every now and then.A lot of having to just over slashing the enemy. Not stylish it's just sloppy fights to me.

I don't know how to describe it. There's no combat tension or jeopardy to the fights. ghost, sekiro or even demon souls. Where your in a fight strikes matter.There's a combat flow, timing windows ,counter windows. Stalling windows. The bosses in Ronin just spam flashy moves they don't size you up, stalk or wait on you. Not very smart A.I..

The counter button is not accurate either. It's inconsistent.They went for some weird sword swivel for counter. I dont think the hit detection is accurate. Everyone else uses block guard which has a higher detection rate.

Every cool attack is like fast forwarded.It just lacks combat flow.
That is how I feel as well. Not sure if I will be able to finish this one. Might be time to check out the Stellar Blade demo.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I got the Heirloom armor and it looks so good. I changed my design so my character always wears it 🤩

It's like I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima 2

Screenshot_20240406_122006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not my character, from Google

• fire
Reactions: Luffy123