Rise of Ronin (Team Ninja) Announced for PlayStation 5

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Games are just gonna take years to make nowadays unfortunately. Maybe one day advancements in Raytracing and ai will help make the developmental process faster like the PS3 and 360 days but it doesn't seem like that will happen this gen

Reactions: Deleted member 13

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
AAA development time increases at the pace that tech advances. A 2-4 years to develop with 2002 tech is like 6-7 years in 2022 tech.

In a decade (2032) the time to develop a new AAA game will be even bigger.

But the quality, details, complexity increased too… so you have better products overall… the AAA quality game in 2022 is what indies are doing today.

Probably in a decade the today AAA development will be called AA and a new AAA with even higher budget, details, complexity, etc will take even more years to become real.

That is how game development and quality advances… more quality, more details, more complexity = more time/work to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Umar
D

Deleted member 13

What's the problem?
None. It just emphasizes that iterations of games take 1 generation on average. In other words, unless you have a massive team, we can only expect 1 game per console generation.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
7 years is quite a long time but I hope the scale and diversity really are reflected in the end product.
I don't remember the thread but recently I listed the development time of recent open world action rpgs (or meaty RPGs) and the average was pretty similar, specially considering Team Ninja doesn't have the same resources than Ubisoft or Rockstar.

D

Deleted member 223

I think you're going to get something like NioH mixed with a lighter version of the game structure of Ghost of Tsushima. Don't expect quests to really match.

Will be a delight to play anyway.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don't remember the thread but recently I listed the development time of recent open world action rpgs (or meaty RPGs) and the average was pretty similar, specially considering Team Ninja doesn't have the same resources than Ubisoft or Rockstar.

Yeah, do we even have any idea how big Team Ninja is? Cause they had Nioh 1 & 2 and then FF Origins

Now they have Wo Long and Rise of the Ronin due in the next year or two.... seems quite productive.

Reactions: EDMIX

EDMIX

None. It just emphasizes that iterations of games take 1 generation on average. In other words, unless you have a massive team, we can only expect 1 game per console generation.

True, but this is one of many reasons why I support the jump to $70. It takes longer to put games out, they are more complex and risk becomes far greater every generation the price remains the same.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Given the confusion of what the company has done let’s hope no one puts a studio together called “The theory of ninja teams.”

• thinking_hard
Reactions: EDMIX and Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
True, but this is one of many reasons why I support the jump to $70. It takes longer to put games out, they are more complex and risk becomes far greater every generation the price remains the same.

That is a fair enough point. I just don't like the way it pushes many people to skip day 1 and if you're not in on day 1 then it becomes easier to push the purchase further and further till the game is very cheap and some may not buy at all after a certain amount of time passes.

But you definitely can relate longer dev time to almost proportional price increases for sure.

Reactions: EDMIX

EDMIX

That is a fair enough point. I just don't like the way it pushes many people to skip day 1 and if you're not in on day 1 then it becomes easier to push the purchase further and further till the game is very cheap and some may not buy at all after a certain amount of time passes.

But you definitely can relate longer dev time to almost proportional price increases for sure.

I agree, but that is a personal thing. Not all games need to be day 1 and if the game is good enough, it should never matter imho. The best game should get the sales regardless over time. I think for the sake of all of us, its best to get the game at all, then if we all can afford it day 1. Enough can afford it day 1 to fund future projects and the rest of us can buy on sale, used, but its better to have the game exist and developer still around.

At $60 it became this rush to get as many sales day 1 as they could with season passes, launch dlc stuff, extras for certain retailers, they really needed that day 1 push to maximize profits as at a lower price point, the need that volume big time. We can't really sustain this industry with a mindset that 6 million sales isn't enough, thats when folks start to go under even with what should be solid sales.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Pleasantly surprised by this one! GoT. Then Ishin! Then this in 2024. Can't wait.

Hey Brah, long time.... How you been?

Yeah, I am super excited for these games, they all seem to bring a different angle on the Samurai and Japanese culture etc.
GoT was one of my favorite games last gen...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, do we even have any idea how big Team Ninja is? Cause they had Nioh 1 & 2 and then FF Origins

Now they have Wo Long and Rise of the Ronin due in the next year or two.... seems quite productive.
I have no idea, they must be a lot of people. I assume that they outsource a lot of work, crunch like motherfuckers and have at least four or five teams:
  • One who worked on Rise of the Ronin during these 7 years
  • Other in Wo Long, Nioh 2, Nioh
  • Other in FFOrigin, DOA and DOA Xtreme series
  • Other in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia and Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
  • Other small one would handle codevelopments mostly externally developed by other studios like Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Wariors, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection
Which leads to think they may announce a Switch? game for 2023 or two from the Marvel or codevelopment teams.

I assume these aren't separated teams, that they may have some key staff leading each project and working always there but then a big chunk of their low tier workers keep moving from a team to another depending on the needs of each project.

Seems a pretty unhealthy studio to work there. I'd increase their headcount and reduce their output and amount of projects they work at the same time to keep it in a big, very polished game released per year.

Last edited:
  • brain

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I hope it's a massive hit for them

We know they've struggled with success lately

My concern is the theme. They see essentially going to be living in the shadow of Ghost of Tsushima.

But still it will be interesting to watch. The move to open world was clearly a huge success for From Software

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I have no idea, they must be a lot of people. I assume that they outsource a lot of work, crunch like motherfuckers and have at least four or five teams:
  • One who worked on Rise of the Ronin during these 7 years
  • Other in Wo Long, Nioh 2, Nioh
  • Other in FFOrigin, DOA and DOA Xtreme series
  • Other in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia and Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
  • Other small one would handle codevelopments mostly externally developed by other studios like Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Wariors, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection
Which leads to think they may announce a Switch? game for 2023 or two from the Marvel or codevelopment teams.

I assume these aren't separated teams, that they may have some key staff leading each project and working always there but then a big chunk of their low tier workers keep moving from a team to another depending on the needs of each project.

Seems a pretty unhealthy studio to work there. I'd increase their headcount and reduce their output and amount of projects they work at the same time to keep it in a big, very polished game released per year.
It's worth noting they have always been a two plus game studio. Before it was even a thing other studios were considering, they were simultaneously making Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive

Both franchises are on the back burner now so that seems to be split in other directions now