Rumor/Assumptions, Firesprite-Sony first party studio is collapsing.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The basic thing people need to understand is that Jim and co thought GAAS would be a great idea and make all the money....

Microsoft already looked into buying Bungie backa nd decided the "burn rate" was too high... that means that it costs a lot to keep up with the content drops.

Jim and co thought it would be low effort for huge reward but the fact is it is very costly and stressful and intensive to keep a successful GAAS going and Fortnite is in a similar position.

Live service games are fine, they can be good but leaning too hard into them is dangerous and they went from few or none to 12 out of nowhere. It was a stupid plan.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
That trashera poster is a closet green rat. Just so you all know. Posting links to a picture of somebody saying stuff if not proof of anything.

Reactions: Diah and Eggman

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People act like GAAS are the boogie man meanwhile microsoft has

• Forza Horizon
  • Forza Motorosport
  • Halo Infinite
  • Elder Scrolls online
  • Fallout 76
  • Sea of Theives
  • Call of Duty
  • Diablo
  • WoW
  • Overwatch
  • Candy Crush
  • Etc.
And sony is still only getting by with meager MLB stuff and GT7 where most of the updates are free lol

Edit—-

Oh and now a sharp declining Destiny 2

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
People act like GAAS are the boogie man meanwhile microsoft has

• Forza Horizon
  • Forza Motorosport
  • Halo Infinite
  • Elder Scrolls online
  • Fallout 76
  • Sea of Theives
  • Call of Duty
  • Diablo
  • WoW
  • Overwatch
  • Candy Crush
  • Etc.
And sony is still only getting by with meager MLB stuff and GT7 where most of the updates are free lol

Edit—-

Oh and now a sharp declining Destiny 2
How many of those were bought.... Nearly all the big ones.

Sony should buy square for FFxiv but that too will decline. They are too late for Roblox.... It's too big for them to buy.

There's not too much left and they got Bungie but much like Fortnite, it's on the downside.

Reactions: Dabaus and Diah

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
How many of those were bought.... Nearly all the big ones.

Sony should buy square for FFxiv but that too will decline. They are too late for Roblox.... It's too big for them to buy.

There's not too much left and they got Bungie but much like Fortnite, it's on the downside.

Only possibility is if they could buy the non-sports segment of EA but i doubt they would be willing to agree to that and kill their market evaluation

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Most stuff that can be more ore less fact checked in these rants posted in the OP seem to be fake uninformed bullshit. The rest of the rants linked in the supposed former worker reviews are generic rants that can be said for any company, so can be made up or not because can't be fact checked.

Sounds weird because smanagement is known to be very good since all (or almost) studios release projects with reasonable development times and normally are so successful in sales and reviews.
https://i.postimg.cc/Cx1zgGGX/1.jpg
Over 100 developers left since Sony bought them,

Some fact checking: Firesprite had more than 250 people when acquired in early September 2021, then in late September 2021 they acquired Fabrik (very small studio) so became 265 people. Half a year ago they acquired a 50000 squared foot new office capable of 400 staff and 20 times larger than their previous one. As of now they have 230 workers listed on LinkedIn (may not be very accurate, where they are listed to have as a 200-500 people studio.
https://i.postimg.cc/N0CnncgZ/2.jpg
Some fact checking: Their founders were these people, Graeme Ankers (still at Sony, at the same managing director position as of December, now also game director), Lee Carus ('on a hiatus', left in June), Chris Roberts (still there, continues as tech director), Stuart Tilley (still there, continues as game director and as studio creative director) and Stuart Lovegrove (still there, continues as company director).

So it's bullshit.https://i.postimg.cc/0Qfzvc4g/3.jpg
Bullshit, the studio heads continue being the same people that founded it more than decade ago.

Less than a month after being acquired they had 40 open positions at the same time.

They have now open job positions in 8 different areas in their website for "dark, story-driven horror blockbuster with genre defining goals" and a "AAA UE5 18 player multiplayer action game with vehicular and on foot combat, storytelling elements with unique character performances".
projects are getting canceled.

We have been seeing job offers for similar projects years, talking about narrative driven stuff, horror stuff, multiplayer game with car and on foot combat. Unless they are cancelling a game and starting a very similar one this is bullshit.

Remember Pete Ellis? The former Naughty Dog dev who went to Firesprite to work as a game director for their narrative-driven horror game? He left this month.
He did work at Firesprite as Associate Game Director (a supporting role), not as game director.

Firesprite's game directors its cofounders Graeme Ankers and Stuart Tilley plus Alex Barnes (Horizon CoM and The Persistence game director). They also have the director of different Motorstorm games working as creative director, hired from Lucid, Matt Shouthern.
https://i.postimg.cc/Gh6CSvpb/left.jpg
The same goes for the lead designer who worked on Horizon Call of the Mountain. Gone.
A lead designer has different bosses above him. Like the game director (Alex, mentioned above, continues in Firesprite), the creative director (Stuart, the cofounder mentioned above, continues in Firesprite) or the Development Director (Ian Pickles, continues there). But yes, he left to Lucid.

They released Horizon CoM, one of the top UE VR games tech wise and The Persistence for both VR and non VR and ported it even to Switch. So it's bullshit.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The future looks bleak for PlayStation
Maybe you wish that, but the facts say the opposite: PlayStation is performing better than ever in most metrics, breaking many console gaming history records and in most of these metrics they are in a growing trend, so will continue improving.

Ps5 will break records this holiday season
Yes
And they will buy major studio soon
They will continue acquiring, but looking at what their CEO said recently I think they'll take some time until the next important acquisition.

What were they working on anyway? Horizon VR was good.
Looking at their currently job open positions they seem two have two projects we heard from since years ago:

• "Dark Horror": A dark, story-driven horror blockbuster with genre defining goals. This huge, highly ambitious partnership project takes atmosphere, storytelling, player agency and narrative firmly into ground-breaking territory on next-generation hardware technologies. This project has AAA ambitions with a heavy focus on art, animation and delivering unique character performances to heighten player presence and immersion to new levels.

• "Multiplayer action:" AAA UE5 18 player multiplayer action game with vehicular and on foot combat, storytelling elements with unique character performances, heavy focus on art, animation, worldbuilding, and unique multiplayer experiences." They talk there about "aims to break new ground in multiplayer, blending gameplay mechanics in new ways and deeply embedding storytelling elements into a unique universe". Maybe it's a copypaste from an old job position, but also mention 'early development'.
Years ago they had job offers where without mentioning horror or multiplayer, mentioned storytelling or narrative adventure, so could be any of these two games, Horizon CoM or maybe even a 3rd project under development that right now doesn't have open job positions or maybe even a canned game. I'd bet it was one of these two games.

This is public information? Disaster if true sony paid quite big for them
Yes, these are public internet annonymous posts that could have been written by anyone, like random tweets or 4chan posts. You can go to Glasdoor and post your fake experience as Sony CEO.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Connie Booth was not a top executive, you didn’t even know who she was last week

I have fuck all idea who Sony's CEO is, therefore he's not relevant.

And she was quite high in the overall PS organisation, no matter how much you spin it.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Can’t dismiss this offhand. I say where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

My barometer is Naughty Dog being completely awol apart from constant pc patches.

Are we not Entertained!?

Last edited:

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
So over a 100 devs left since they've been bought out and we only hear about this now?

Yeah, strange timing.
They once had over 300 employees. Now they have over 200 employees. And they are still losing important people. Pete Ellis and Joe Nelson left this month.
It is known that an action shooter project got canceled. They are certainly having a rough time at Firesprite. This isn't something new.
I don't even know why Sony bought that studio so I googled them. They made nothing interesting besides The Persistence. What was this "culture" they lost? Sackboy Run in 2014? Lol

Their next game is Star Citizen according to Wikipedia. Sony will have their own Starfield 🤡
Firesprite's next game is an AAA horror game and an AAA live service Twisted Metal game. They were supporting Star Citizen before the Sony acquisition. The support ended shortly after Sony bought them. Star Citizen is a well known game. It's not a Firesprite or Sony game.

Why Sony bought them? Who else is out there for Sony to buy? That's the problem. If you don't have the money to go after publishers (or you don't want to go after publishers) there's not much else out there. That's the reason why Sony is going after those new no-name studios like Firesprite, Haven, Firewalk and Savage Game Studios. Maybe now Sony is realizing that they need some experienced studios like Remedy or a publisher like Square-Enix or Capcom.
St. Elmo isn't one of the Xbox fanboys I recognize off ResetERA and, trust me, I've recognized a lot. Got a list of them (and it's growing). And they were just reposting what others were saying, seems the source is an anonymous employee/ex-employee from Firesprite. Although I could be wrong about them, as I don't recall all the horrid stuff I saw cheerleading-wise in the ABK thread and adjacent threads thereof. They could've slipped by me.
St. Elmo is in one of the discord channels I'm also in. He's nice and a fan of Sony's games. He isn't an Xbox fanboy.
That trashera poster is a closet green rat. Just so you all know. Posting links to a picture of somebody saying stuff if not proof of anything.
He isn't.
People here need to stop accusing others of being Xbox fanboys just because they don't like what they're writing.
Sony is having a rough year even though the PS5 is selling well. Talking about this doesn't automatically makes you an Xbox fanboy.

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Just port Bloodborne and Demons souls to the platform where the most audience for souls games is and watch the billions rake in.

That's bad news for VR gaming. I guess it's going to stay niche forever if Sony can't carry it. PsVR2 seems to be amazing tech.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They once had over 300 employees. Now they have over 200 employees. And they are still losing important people. Pete Ellis and Joe Nelson left this month.
It is known that an action shooter project got canceled. They are certainly having a rough time at Firesprite. This isn't something new.

They next game is an AAA horror game and an AAA live service Twisted Metal game. They were supporting Star Citizen before the Sony acquisition. The support ended shortly after Sony bought them. Star Citizen is a well known game. It's not a Firesprite or Sony game.

Why Sony bought them? Who else is out there to buy? That's the problem. If you don't have the money to go after publishers (or you don't want to go after publishers) there not much else out there. That's the reason why Sony is going after those new no-name studios like Firesprite, Haven, Firewalk and Savage Game Studios. Maybe now Sony is realizing that they need some experienced studios like Remedy or a publisher like Square-Enix or Capcom.

St. Elmo is in one of the discord channels I'm also in. He's nice and a fan of Sony's games. He isn't an Xbox fanboy.

He isn't.
People here need to stop accusing others of being Xbox fanboys just because they don't like what they're writing.
Sony is having a rough year even though the PS5 is selling well. Talking about this doesn't automatically makes you an Xbox fanboy.

Agree, people can be far too defensive at times here and get aggressive with users who just want to see PlayStation do it's best.

The main aim is to see PlayStation succeed and if we pretend that everything is "just fantastic" all the time, like an ostrich with its head in the sand, then we are not helping them at all.

That said, we don't have to take unsubstantiated claims as fact.... but we can consider them seriously depending on where they come from, the character of the person and the history that may be available.

Jason Schreier has said there are company wide adjustments at Sony....

If someone doesn't want to accept some information presented on the forum by a user, they don't have to believe but there is no green light to attack anyone bringing info here... that would be very destructive for the forum...we need as much info coming here as possible.

Reactions: Danja

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It is VERY clear things aren't going well behind the scenes at Playstation no matter how SOME posters here want to pretend everything is a smear by a green rat. Why else is the PlayStation CEO and Connie both leaving and I have a feeling Hermen is next if 2024 doesn't deliver.

It's been a long time coming tho. It's about time Japan took back their company and reeled in the nonsense the Western Branch has been up to the last 4 years.

Firesprite is an unfortunate situation if true.... They seemed to be a promising studio they were trying to make into their VR / GaaS hub

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
It is VERY clear things aren't going well behind the scenes at Playstation no matter how SOME posters here want to pretend everything is a smear by a green rat. Why else is the PlayStation CEO and Connie both leaving and I have a feeling Hermen is next if 2024 doesn't deliver.

It's been a long time coming tho. It's about time Japan took back their company and reeled in the nonsense the Western Branch has been up to the last 4 years.

Firesprite is an unfortunate situation if true.... They seemed to be a promising studio they were trying to make into their VR / GaaS hub
But people from the western branch like Andrew House and Shawn Layden were the ones that helped PS be dominant again with the PS4.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
But people from the western branch like Andrew House and Shawn Layden were the ones that helped PS be dominant again with the PS4.
Andrew House was very much Japan based as well. He actually would meet with Japanese devs and he learnt the language too to make things more streamlined.

Shawn was chairman of Worldwide Studios Basically he was the Phil Spencer of Playstation, he was good for a time.

Moving Playstation to California will always haunt them.

• they're_right_you_know

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Most stuff that can be more ore less fact checked in these rants posted in the OP seem to be fake uninformed bullshit. The rest of the rants linked in the supposed former worker reviews are generic rants that can be said for any company, so can be made up or not because can't be fact checked.

Sounds weird because smanagement is known to be very good since all (or almost) studios release projects with reasonable development times and normally are so successful in sales and reviews.
https://i.postimg.cc/Cx1zgGGX/1.jpg

Some fact checking: Firesprite had more than 250 people when acquired in early September 2021, then in late September 2021 they acquired Fabrik (very small studio) so became 265 people. Half a year ago they acquired a 50000 squared foot new office capable of 400 staff and 20 times larger than their previous one. As of now they have 230 workers listed on LinkedIn (may not be very accurate, where they are listed to have as a 200-500 people studio.

Some fact checking: Their founders were these people, Graeme Ankers (still at Sony, at the same managing director position as of December, now also game director), Lee Carus ('on a hiatus', left in June), Chris Roberts (still there, continues as tech director), Stuart Tilley (still there, continues as game director and as studio creative director) and Stuart Lovegrove (still there, continues as company director).

So it's bullshit.https://i.postimg.cc/0Qfzvc4g/3.jpg

Bullshit, the studio heads continue being the same people that founded it more than decade ago.

Less than a month after being acquired they had 40 open positions at the same time.

They have now open job positions in 8 different areas in their website for "dark, story-driven horror blockbuster with genre defining goals" and a "AAA UE5 18 player multiplayer action game with vehicular and on foot combat, storytelling elements with unique character performances".

We have been seeing job offers for similar projects years, talking about narrative driven stuff, horror stuff, multiplayer game with car and on foot combat. Unless they are cancelling a game and starting a very similar one this is bullshit.

He did work at Firesprite as Associate Game Director (a supporting role), not as game director.

Firesprite's game directors its cofounders Graeme Ankers and Stuart Tilley plus Alex Barnes (Horizon CoM and The Persistence game director). They also have the director of different Motorstorm games working as creative director, hired from Lucid, Matt Shouthern.
https://i.postimg.cc/Gh6CSvpb/left.jpg

A lead designer has different bosses above him. Like the game director (Alex, mentioned above, continues in Firesprite), the creative director (Stuart, the cofounder mentioned above, continues in Firesprite) or the Development Director (Ian Pickles, continues there). But yes, he left to Lucid.

They released Horizon CoM, one of the top UE VR games tech wise and The Persistence for both VR and non VR and ported it even to Switch. So it's bullshit.
Nice work debunking this.