Rumor/Assumptions, Firesprite-Sony first party studio is collapsing.

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
Agree, people can be far too defensive at times here and get aggressive with users who just want to see PlayStation do it's best.
Yeah it's weird. I hope the mods here are trying to stop this. I got attacked yesterday because I talked about Sony's "high revenue/costs - Low profits" problem and got insulted. This needs to stop. SIE has problems. It's okay to talk about it. Not talking about it won't make the problems go away.
The main aim is to see PlayStation succeed and if we pretend that everything is "just fantastic" all the time, like an ostrich with its head in the sand, then we are not helping them at all.
Well said.
That said, we don't have to take unsubstantiated claims as fact.... but we can consider them seriously depending on where they come from, the character of the person and the history that may be available.

Jason Schreier has said there are company wide adjustments at Sony....

If someone doesn't want to accept some information presented on the forum by a user, they don't have to believe but there is no green light to attack anyone bringing info here... that would be very destructive for the forum...we need as much info coming here as possible.
Again, well said.

Just to name a few things that went wrong lately for SIE:
- Deviation Games x PlayStation collaboration is pretty much dead. One live-service game gone.
- PixelOpus got shut down. One singleplayer game gone.
- TLOU Online/Factions is on ice. Developers got fired. Another live-service game gone.
- Media Molecule ending Dreams support. Developers got fired.
- Visual Arts lost developers. Reason could be the canceled TLOU Online project.
- Firesprite having issues. Projects canceled, losing devs, management/leadership issues.
- Bungie having issues. Destiny missing revenue forecasts by 45%. That's a lot. 8% of their workforce got fired.

And then there are other things that aren't positive for Sony:
- The CEO leaving without having a replacement at the moment.
- Losing their legendary vice-president of product development.
- Crazy PS+ price hike.
- PS5 not selling as much as they had expected, so they had to keep the PS5 price cut in some regions.
- No showcase in 2022 and a weak showcase in 2023. Studios aren't ready to show games so all Sony had were CGI trailers for some live service games.

They are having a rough time at Sony Interactive Entertainment. Meanwhile Nintendo is getting ready to launch the Switch 2 behemoth next year and Microsoft is acquiring publishers and wants to target Japan next.
They need to get their shit together. The competition isn't sleeping. Actually, they're spending billions to get stronger.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah it's weird. I hope the mods here are trying to stop this. I got attacked yesterday because I talked about Sony's "high revenue/costs - Low profits" problem and got insulted. This needs to stop. SIE has problems. It's okay to talk about it. Not talking about it won't make the problems go away.

Well said.

Again, well said.

- Deviation Games x PlayStation collaboration is pretty much dead. One live-service game gone.
- TLOU Online/Factions is on ice. Developers got fired. Another live-service game gone.
- Visual Arts lost developers. Reason could be the canceled TLOU Online project.
- Firesprite having issues. Projects canceled, losing devs, management/leadership issues.
- Bungie having issues. Destiny missing revenue forecasts by 45%. That's a lot. 8% of their workforce got fired.

And then there are other things that aren't positive for Sony:
- The CEO leaving without having a replacement at the moment.
- Losing their legendary vice-president of product development.
- Crazy PS+ price hike.
- PS5 not selling as much as they had expected, so they had keep the PS5 price cut in some regions.
- No showcase in 2022 and a weak showcase in 2023. Studios aren't ready to show games so all Sony had were CGI trailers for some live service games.

They are having a rough time at Sony Interactive Entertainment. Meanwhile Nintendo is getting ready to launch the Switch 2 behemoth next year and Microsoft is acquiring publishers and wants to target Japan next.
They need to get their shit together. The competition isn't sleeping. Actually, they're spending billions to get stronger.

It can be hard to acknowledge that things might not be going quite as well as they should.

I still think PS5 sales are going quite well but if they are not hitting the numbers they want....they have to realize the PC ports and losing access to many third party games had an effect.

Time has probably been lost, it takes a lot of time to get back on track in this type of business and that's what I'm worried about. I don't know how much time has been lost, how many quarters could see no 1st party games....

But if many of the studios are now years behind on a release, it makes studios / publisher acquisitions almost urgent or big deals with third parties for exclusives.

But it's clear that they are attempting to correct some things that happened. This stuff is not routine, that we are seeing.

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
It can be hard to acknowledge that things might not be going quite as well as they should.

I still think PS5 sales are going quite well but if they are not hitting the numbers they want....they have to realize the PC ports and losing access to many third party games had an effect.
I know you don't like the PC ports but they're not the problem. Like I said it's basically free money. Sony "struggling" to hit the PS5 sales target is a self-made problem because their sales target (a new record) is insane. 25 million PS5 consoles?
And all they had to boost and hype sales is... Spider-Man 2 and MLB The Show? Not good enough.
Time has probably been lost, it takes a lot of time to get back on track in this type of business and that's what I'm worried about. I don't know how much time has been lost, how many quarters could see no 1st party games....

But if many of the studios are now years behind on a release, it makes studios / publisher acquisitions almost urgent or big deals with third parties for exclusives.

But it's clear that they are attempting to correct some things that happened. This stuff is not routine, that we are seeing.
Yeah they are trying to correct things. And they're looking for more 3rd party help & partnerships. So expect more timed-exclusive deals to fill the gaps in 2024.. But this isn't a longerm solution. You can't rely on timed-exclusive deals when the competition is buying publishers.
Sooner or later Sony will be forced to make a decision. Spend some big money bags to get a publisher and some popluar IPs or... watch how your 3rd party support slowly disappears while you do nothing. They still have time to react and make some big moves.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
They once had over 300 employees. Now they have over 200 employees. And they are still losing important people. Pete Ellis and Joe Nelson left this month.
It is known that an action shooter project got canceled. They are certainly having a rough time at Firesprite. This isn't something new.

Firesprite's next game is an AAA horror game and an AAA live service Twisted Metal game. They were supporting Star Citizen before the Sony acquisition. The support ended shortly after Sony bought them. Star Citizen is a well known game. It's not a Firesprite or Sony game.

Why Sony bought them? Who else is out there for Sony to buy? That's the problem. If you don't have the money to go after publishers (or you don't want to go after publishers) there's not much else out there. That's the reason why Sony is going after those new no-name studios like Firesprite, Haven, Firewalk and Savage Game Studios. Maybe now Sony is realizing that they need some experienced studios like Remedy or a publisher like Square-Enix or Capcom.

St. Elmo is in one of the discord channels I'm also in. He's nice and a fan of Sony's games. He isn't an Xbox fanboy.

He isn't.
People here need to stop accusing others of being Xbox fanboys just because they don't like what they're writing.
Sony is having a rough year even though the PS5 is selling well. Talking about this doesn't automatically makes you an Xbox fanboy.

You must be new to Sony FUD. I don’t care how anybody feels about Sony. Facts are facts and bullshit is bullshit.

Cool you believe you know him. That doesn’t mean there’s no agenda. I know a green rat when I see one.

“Sony is having a rough year.”

Lmao. Yeah ok man whatever you say.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
You must be new to Sony FUD. I don’t care how anybody feels about Sony. Facts are facts and bullshit is bullshit.

Cool you believe you know him. That doesn’t mean there’s no agenda. I know a green rat when I see one.

😬

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Stop with the insults!
They once had over 300 employees. Now they have over 200 employees. And they are still losing important people. Pete Ellis and Joe Nelson left this month.
It is known that an action shooter project got canceled. They are certainly having a rough time at Firesprite. This isn't something new.

Firesprite's next game is an AAA horror game and an AAA live service Twisted Metal game. They were supporting Star Citizen before the Sony acquisition. The support ended shortly after Sony bought them. Star Citizen is a well known game. It's not a Firesprite or Sony game.

Why Sony bought them? Who else is out there for Sony to buy? That's the problem. If you don't have the money to go after publishers (or you don't want to go after publishers) there's not much else out there. That's the reason why Sony is going after those new no-name studios like Firesprite, Haven, Firewalk and Savage Game Studios. Maybe now Sony is realizing that they need some experienced studios like Remedy or a publisher like Square-Enix or Capcom.

St. Elmo is in one of the discord channels I'm also in. He's nice and a fan of Sony's games. He isn't an Xbox fanboy.

He isn't.
People here need to stop accusing others of being Xbox fanboys just because they don't like what they're writing.
Sony is having a rough year even though the PS5 is selling well. Talking about this doesn't automatically makes you an Xbox fanboy.
But you’re a fanboy though. Lol

Don‘t listen to this clown. He always spreads fake narratives about PS.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS and Diah

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
It’s going to be hilarious to look back at this post, when Firespirte announces their AAA game next year. Lol

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

This sounds like you want resetera.

There’s enough exaggeratory Sony nonsense over there.

To be clear……criticizing Sony/having issues is not a problem. I don’t care. Sony doesn’t give me any money.

But holy hell have there been some whining the last couple months. Every single day there new problem. That’s not normal. This is not what I expected this site to be. Sony rant.com.

Anyway I’m done for the night before I go another time wasting rampage.

Happy Halloween. 🎃

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023

facepalm-really.gif

But you’re a fanboy though. Lol
I really don't know what's wrong with some of you.
"I don't like what he says because it's not positive Sony news. fAnBoY!"
Literally acting like little children.
It’s going to be hilarious to look back at this post, when Firespirte announces their AAA game next year. Lol
Why would it be hilarious? Most people are pretty much expecting a reveal next year.
This sounds like you want resetera.

There’s enough exaggeratory Sony nonsense over there.

To be clear……criticizing Sony/having issues is not a problem. I don’t care. Sony doesn’t give me any money.

But holy hell have there been some whining the last couple months. Every single day there new problem. That’s not normal. This is not what I expected this site to be. Sony rant.com.

Happy Halloween. 🎃
No, not Resetera. A normal forum. Right now Icon-Era has a ton of "Negative Sony news? Stop it, Xbox fanboy. PlayStation can do no wrong. Everything is fine." members. They want an echo chamber. The constant "lol. You're a fanboy. Xbox rat. Green rat. Clown. Lololololol" crap is Twitter troll behavior and nothing more.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
facepalm-really.gif

Why would it be hilarious? Most people are pretty much expecting a reveal next year.

No, not Resetera. A normal forum. Right now Icon-Era has a ton of "Negative Sony news? Stop it, Xbox fanboy. PlayStation can do no wrong. Everything is fine." members. They want an echo chamber. The constant "lol. You're a fanboy. Xbox rat. Green rat. Clown. Lololololol" crap is Twitter troll behavior and nothing more.
PlayStation Sucka liking your post. Big oof. Not a good look.

But real talk - people are allowed to criticise Sony's moves here and people are allowed to defend them, so to speak, or deflect. Who cares? On Reeee negative Xbox news is locked and the OPs are probably banned for transboxphobia. I don't know, I haven't checked that shit hole in months.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
PlayStation Sucka liking your post. Big oof. Not a good look.

But real talk - people are allowed to criticise Sony's moves here and people are allowed to defend them, so to speak, or deflect. Who cares? On Reeee negative Xbox news is locked and the OPs are probably banned for transboxphobia. I don't know, I haven't checked that shit hole in months.
When you are look at by people with high regards and in regards to playstation I have a high standard set for them and many here expect the same
For now they may seem to have been blindsided by their extreme pivot to Gaas games betting on it probably a too much ,ofcourse this is a speculation but it doesn't helps when playstation remains radio silent for months upon months forums are just an echo chamber tbh and I know this is just a small hiccup but sony can't be shielded from legitimate criticism

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Anybody saying this place is a Sony lovefest and echo chamber is not reading the same posts I do. You think people are not negative enough? Holy shit you basically want 100% hate everywhere.

Sony fans are the harshest of them all and there's full of criticism here. Sony can't do anything right it seems. Every move is garbage and the whole company needs to be fired top to bottom.

Spider-man 2 was the only good news for like 1 day and we're back to fighting and doom. Sorry if you catch 2 or 3 posters who are not angry and miserable enough for your taste 😅

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
facepalm-really.gif

gonna call out this bullshit.

This site is not an echo chamber. We have threads every day criticizing Sony and its current trajectory. But it sure sounds like you want a bunch of people to help you dogpile on negative Sony rumors for no reason. Rumors that aren't backed by anything factual.

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
Anybody saying this place is a Sony lovefest and echo chamber is not reading the same posts I do. You think people are not negative enough? Holy shit you basically want 100% hate everywhere.
Talking about Sony's problems = Hate
Or MAYBE not really. This is a forum. For discussions. Fans talking about their hobbies. They want PS etc. to do well.
Sony right now clearly has some problems. Mentioning them isn't "hate". Only fanboys think that.
Sony fans are the harshest of them all and there's full of criticism here.
That can be good. It's better than what some of the toxic Xbox fanboys on Twitter are doing, where everything Phil Spencer does or says is "amazing".
Spider-man 2 was the only good news for like 1 day and we're back to fighting and doom. Sorry if you catch 2 or 3 posters who are not angry and miserable enough for your taste 😅
The posters who are angry and miserable are the ones with the "lol. You're a fanboy. Xbox rat. Green rat. Clown. Lololololol" shitposts. Sony had a rough year. That's just how it is. The showcase was bad, the CG trailers/live service games looked lame, they only had one big game (Spider-Man 2 - And maybe MLB The Show for the americans), they delayed some games, they canceled some games, they had to fire people, they shut down a studio, the PS+ price hike was terrible, etc.
Talking about this isn't hate.

gonna call out this bullshit.

This site is not an echo chamber. We have threads every day criticizing Sony and its current trajectory. But it sure sounds like you want a bunch of people to help you dogpile on negative Sony rumors for no reason. Rumors that aren't backed by anything factual.
"... dogpile on negative Sony rumors for no reason. Rumos that aren't backed by anthing factual."

- Firesprite having some issues

Those are mostly FACTS. Not rumors. And it's PERFECTLY FINE to talk about this. Because Sony had no showcase last year and a terrible showcase this year. Why? Because they canceled and delayed games. Because they have some issues. They had nothing to show besides Spider-Man 2. And because they don't have enough studios yet.

Nothing about this is "bullshit". Fanboys just get super defensive when someone mentions these problems.
Criticism is fine. Sony is far from being perfect. Especially this year. And we fans, not fanboys, want them to do/get better.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony had a rough year. That's just how it is. The showcase was bad, the CG trailers/live service games looked lame, they only had one big game (Spider-Man 2 - And maybe MLB The Show for the americans), they delayed some games, they canceled some games, they had to fire people, they shut down a studio, the PS+ price hike was terrible, etc.
Talking about this isn't hate.
And we had plenty of posts about everything on your list. Tons and tons of them. 99% negative. It was a real murder after the showcase. I also can't find any fan celebrating the GAAS push. PC ports. My god. Account suicide aplenty. Jim Ryan. The guy is suffocating underneath all the shit the fans pile on him everyday. Sony better hire private security for Hermen too. The price hike. Just try to make a positive PS+ thread and see the replies LOL

It's funny how posters like @AshHunter216 had to take a break from the forum because it was too much and other posters think the criticism is too quiet.

Those are mostly FACTS. Not rumors. And it's PERFECTLY FINE to talk about this. Because Sony had no showcase last year and terrible showcase this year. Why? Because they canceled and delayed games. Because they have some issues. They had nothing to show besides Spider-Man 2. And because they don't have enough studios yet.

Nothing about this is "bullshit". Fanboys just get super defensive when someone mentions these problems.
Criticism is fine. Sony is far from being perfect. Especially this year. And we fans, not fanboys, want them to do/get better.
Yeah that confirms to me you didn't read anything here. We talked about all that freely for months. Sure it wasn't 100% unanimous but it's not fantasy land.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and anonpuffs