Rumor: Final Fantasy 16 is coming to Xbox

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Game has unofficially been revised to good by Xbox fans. Now waiting on official confirmation.

I doubt the sales will be great. It would need to release at the same time as PC to muddy the talk of sales on Xbox.

If this is true, my reasoning is that XVI is used to see if there is an audience on Xbox for Final Fantasy. If VII Remake was the canary in the coal mine, then Square would be harassed to bring Rebirth & Rebirth sequel [my guess is Return] to Xbox even if it was a failure to port. Here it is a one and done. If it works, then more. If it doesn't work... no Final Fantasy VII Remake.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Game has unofficially been revised to good by Xbox fans. Now waiting on official confirmation.

I doubt the sales will be great. It would need to release at the same time as PC to muddy the talk of sales on Xbox.

If this is true, my reasoning is that XVI is used to see if there is an audience on Xbox for Final Fantasy. If VII Remake was the canary in the coal mine, then Square would be harassed to bring Rebirth & Rebirth sequel [my guess is Return] to Xbox even if it was a failure to port. Here it is a one and done. If it works, then more. If it doesn't work... no Final Fantasy VII Remake.
FF VII Remake is already on PC so I think they're gonna port it to Xbox and Nintendo when the Switch 2 comes out. Then a little later Rebirth on PC/Xbox/Switch 2 and in 2028 or whenever it is Part 3 will be multiplatform on day one.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
The amount of sales that will be generated will be like the game never released on Xbox anyway.

It’s just a talking point for MS and Xbox fans.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
FF VII Remake is already on PC so I think they're gonna port it to Xbox and Nintendo when the Switch 2 comes out. Then a little later Rebirth on PC/Xbox/Switch 2 and in 2028 or whenever it is Part 3 will be multiplatform on day one.
Remake will be on Switch 2 [PS4 version with slight downgrade or slight upgrade depending on handheld's power]. What reason is there for Remake to be kept off Xbox already? I think your post is very ambitious considering prior SE history. When Switch 2 gets a downgraded Rebirth, I imagine a PS4 port around the same time. The XVI director said a PS4 version would have added 2 years to development. So in that context at least another year to Switch 2 which means it could be ready to release months after a launch Remake.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
SE is currently in a mess and they are desperate. Soon they might be acquired and I hope it's not Microsoft.
Sony should buy Square Enix and give Yoko Taro 350m$ budget and all the cool tech, instead of putting it into shitty marvel games.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
and in 2028 or whenever it is Part 3 will be multiplatform on day one.
Doubt it. Chances are Part 3 will still be launch exclusively on PlayStation. We know Sony has a timed exclusivity deal in place for FF7 Remake so it doesn’t make sense as to why only the first two part would be timed exclusive but the last one wouldn’t. Sony are ruthless when it comes to 3rd party deal.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Doubt it. Chances are Part 3 will still be launch exclusively on PlayStation. We know Sony has a timed exclusivity deal in place for FF7 Remake so it doesn’t make sense as to why only the first two part would be timed exclusive but the last one wouldn’t. Sony are ruthless when it comes to 3rd party deal.
Without Sony's engineers, we wouldn't have gotten XVI as early as we did. The proof of that is XVI didn't go on sale on PC after the six months. Sony will offer the same type of deal to get the game earlier again. I 100% agree with you.

Reactions: Say1nMan

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
The reason is that between now and 2028 Square will release several games on all platforms and they won't go back to give Sony an exclusive.
Without Sony's engineers, we wouldn't have gotten XVI as early as we did. The proof of that is XVI didn't go on sale on PC after the six months. Sony will offer the same type of deal to get the game earlier again. I 100% agree with you.
No simply they waited for all the DLC to be released and if you count from there it took 4 months.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
No simply they waited for all the DLC to be released and if you count from there it took 4 months.
SE could have sold the game after 6 months (no DLC released at that stage) and released DLC at the same time. SE loves money and if they can spread it to sell XVI at the same price and nickel and dime the expansion afterwards for more money they would.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Who is gonna buy it or play it?
Every japanese game disappears into xbox black hole 2min after release and you never ever hear about those games again.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I won't believe it until I see it oficially announced it. Seems to me that some xbox fanboy "insider" got angry because of the Forza Horizon 5 rumor and made out this.

But it wouldn't be rare if the FFXVI deal with Sony, like with FFVIIR, is a timed console exclusive of several years instead of a permanent exclusive.

Reactions: Lersds

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Who is gonna buy it or play it?
Every japanese game disappears into xbox black hole 2min after release and you never ever hear about those games again.
I will buy and play it again on my Xbox. Game is awesome. My son only has an Xbox at his house, and I have it setup for game sharing, so he will be able to play it as well via my account.

I have only played 3 Final Fantasy games. FF16, FF7 Remake and FF7 Rebirth. FF16 was my favorite. Probably because I liked Game of Thrones so much, and I loved how had a similar vibe.

24 Jun 2022
Weird timing that it comes from a poster saying its unfair that xbox is losing everything when another exclusive leaves xbox. I’ll believe when i see it. It sure as hell will need to be a big gamepass bag to even make it worth it. Even then, i can imagine the series s bricking on the boss fights

Wait Nate said that? 🤣 I need a link.

Maybe MS paid SE a large sum of cash to bring it to GP. SE needs all the cash it can get, I guess.

If that's the case, much like Persona and Yakuza there will be little need to buy these games Day 1 again if you don't have FOMO and can stand to wait a bit. Why be a subsidizing paypig otherwise?

Sony made a exclusive deal for FF7 remake. You can’t break contract.

There are ways out of contracts.