Rumor: SEGA to develop a new Wipeout game for Sony | Bandai Namco to also work on a PlayStation IP

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
That's good. Keep those relationships strong.

But it's also a bit strange. Why would Sega work on Wipeout? That's a Sony IP.
Relationship was always strong. Just some of you starting spreading FUD that Sony was losing/weakening partnerships based on nothing.

24 Jun 2022
Bro this better turn out to be true. SEGA made arguably the best F-Zero game ever, and the majority of that team is still there (at least AFAIK). They could do something amazing with Wipeout and I'd be there for it Day 1.

As for Namco, I've no idea what IP they would be working on from PS's catalog. It could literally be anything.

That's good. Keep those relationships strong.

But it's also a bit strange. Why would Sega work on Wipeout? That's a Sony IP.

SEGA worked on F-Zero back in the '00s and that's a Nintendo IP. They also happened to make the best F-Zero game in the franchise.

So much for that SEGA/Xbox relationship, if true.

I don't think this does anything to that, TBH. If Microsoft want a SEGA team to work with an Xbox IP, provided SEGA have the people present to do so, they'd probably do it.

However what this hopefully means is that Microsoft acquiring SEGA is off the table. Or Bandai-Namco, for that matter. Microsoft will have an extremely difficult time as-is integrating Zenimax & ABK, and generating some real results from them and the studio acquisitions, too. I'm sure the BoD and shareholders want to start seeing results and that will take several years.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Relationship was always strong. Just some of you starting spreading FUD that Sony was losing/weakening partnerships based on nothing.
You're seeing things that aren't there. Worry/criticism isn't spreading FUD.

It's a fact, not an opinion, that SEGA treats MS better than Sony these days. They even said MS treats them the best out of all the platforms.

This is the reason that recent Persona games perform better on Xbox than on PS5, which doesn't have a native version. It's also the reason that MS gets their games day one on GP while Sony fans have to pay full price.

Let's stop with this Xbox fanboy mentality where every criticism is pushed aside and labeled as some doomposting conspiracy theory. Facts mentioned above show that SEGA is more aligned with MS that with Sony these days. And until this rumor is confirmed, that's what the facts show.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I dunno but Nintendo does it all the time, and Sega and especially BN are two of the leading groups they use too. I wouldn't call it bs for those reasons.
Nintendo collaboration is on cross over exclusive games with Ubisoft and Sega. They don't contract them to make a sequel to their own IPs. That's totally different.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

It's a fact, not an opinion, that SEGA treats MS better than Sony these days. They even said MS treats them the best out of all the platforms.
Yes it's your faulty opinion that sonys partenship was weakning just because MS started working with SEGA. That is fiction you made up or most likely regurtiated from xbox shills that you enjoy following.
This is the reason that recent Persona games perform better on Xbox than on PS5, which doesn't have a native version. It's also the reason that MS gets their games day one on GP while Sony fans have to pay full price.
Xbox gets games day one on gamepass cause they pay for it, sony generally does not do day one games but only for very specific games as they still want people buying software.

What kind of disengengous bullshit is this your bringing up? You very well know what MS buisness model is right now so why bring up this silly comparison?

Mobile Suit Gooch

21 Jun 2022
Bro this better turn out to be true. SEGA made arguably the best F-Zero game ever, and the majority of that team is still there (at least AFAIK). They could do something amazing with Wipeout and I'd be there for it Day 1.

As for Namco, I've no idea what IP they would be working on from PS's catalog. It could literally be anything.

SEGA worked on F-Zero back in the '00s and that's a Nintendo IP. They also happened to make the best F-Zero game in the franchise.

I don't think this does anything to that, TBH. If Microsoft want a SEGA team to work with an Xbox IP, provided SEGA have the people present to do so, they'd probably do it.

However what this hopefully means is that Microsoft acquiring SEGA is off the table. Or Bandai-Namco, for that matter. Microsoft will have an extremely difficult time as-is integrating Zenimax & ABK, and generating some real results from them and the studio acquisitions, too. I'm sure the BoD and shareholders want to start seeing results and that will take several years.
I'd love to see SEGA work on a new Wipeout, hell, Bandai-Namco bring back Ridge Racer for PS. Maybe Sony will get Ace Combat 8.

24 Jun 2022
"-Famitsu: SIE owns development studios (Worldwide Studios) in various countries, do you plan to continue developing titles with these studios as a base?

-Jim Ryan: I am really satisfied and proud of the “PS Studios” titles released by Worldwide Studios. Some have already been announced and we have others ready to announce. In addition, SIE has a deep connection with Japanese licensees, and we plan to further strengthen our collaboration and develop titles created in Japan for PlayStation fans around the world."

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202102/23214926.html

This is from early 2021, since then I think they only announced Death Stranding 2 and Rise of the Ronin as Japanese 2nd party games. It wouldn't be rare to see a 2nd party game with Sega if they have now one with Koei Tecmo.

But he could be talking about Japanese 3rd party exclusives (many announced & released since them) or potential future acquisitions they could be starting to consider or develop.

I have no idea, I'd say it's a random internet user with no credibility/track record of leaks.

I'd love it to be true, but I'd say it's hard to believe Sega would work on a 2nd party game, specially for the platform that kicked them out of the console hardware business. But hey, as fan of both Wipeout and Sega's arcade racers I'd love to see a brand new Wipeout made by Sega.

As I remember, the most recent arcade racing stuff from Sega in console (other than Outrun ports) were the Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed games developed by Sumo Digital, a close Sony partner for 2nd party stuff.

In 2023 Sega continues releasing arcade cabinet games for the Japanese arcades, and in recent years they had a popular racing series: Initial D, an adaptation of the popular manga of the same name. The most recent game of the series is -I may be wrong- Initial D The Arcade ver.3, released in 2021 I think.

Uh...what? No buddy, PlayStation didn't kick SEGA out of the console business. SEGA kicked themselves out with a mix of bad business planning, corporate infighting between branches, unconsolidated accounting, and rushed hardware designs. Also for as much as people say Sony killed SEGA as a platform holder, it's not like the N64 didn't reap the benefits of Saturn's downfall that gen; they ate up all of the Western market share that SEGA had remaining from the Genesis/MegaDrive days that didn't already hop over to PlayStation.

Considering SEGA did in fact make an F-Zero for Nintendo right after Dreamcast was retired, I don't see a reality where they have a grudge against Sony 2+ decades later, for falling out as a platform holder when that was mainly SEGA's own mistakes catching up to them. As well, Microsoft themselves aren't completely innocent in this, if we're trying to pin it on other competitors as to SEGA's exit from making consoles. SEGA wanted the OG Xbox to be a literal Dreamcast 2, with Microsoft providing the financial backing. This included having it be BC with Dreamcast games, obviously.

However, Microsoft themselves rejected the proposition. We can speculate as to whether that was the sound business decision to make or not, but the fact is SEGA technically had another chance to commandeer as a platform holder but Microsoft didn't want to collaborate in that way, likely due to seeing the market results of the Dreamcast play out.

He explains exactly why they are doing it.

salromano is Verified.

Yeah if this all shakes out, then I think we can start piecing together a bigger picture of what happened BTS at SIE the past couple years or so. And, at least partly why we might be seeing some folks retiring or departing.

The good news is, it'd seem Sony have made adjustments internally at least months ago if not sooner. If we're just now hearing rumors about stuff like this, then some form of early dev started months ago, meaning talks started months earlier, meaning plans and adjustments started even earlier than that. The part that sucks is, it will be a while before these games are revealed or released.

Even if they are AA (I'm talking on the higher-end scale, like Kena or Stray were), it'll probably be at least 3-4 years before they release, so that's in the very back end of this generation. We don't actually know what or how many non-GaaS 1P titles were greenlit by Jim Ryan between 2019 and 2023. Outside of potentially Wolverine, I can't think of any that have been revealed. There's likely the Naughty Dog new IP, SSM's new IP, Horizon 3, Bend's new IP, Ghosts 2, so that's at least 5.

Thing is, all of those are big AAA games, so at least 6 years of dev time for them I would guess. Outside of Wolverine, I don't know when or if any of those games would release between 2024 and 2025, so could we be looking at a period where 1P games (in terms of new releases) for non-GaaS from 1P studios, are "just" Wolverine and maybe DLC/expansion content for GOW: Ragnarok (and maybe Spiderman 2)? Everything else would be 3P in some form, from Stellar Blade to Rise of the Ronin to Death Stranding 2 (Sony do own the IP to this one though) to FF VII Rebirth (timed).

It could get a bit interesting in the landscape these next two years IMO among the platforms, with Nintendo probably the one who could capitalize the most. Microsoft will 100% flex COD marketing rights next year onward and tie "free" access to lots of perks, weapons, items, maps etc. for that and other big ABK & Zenimax games to Game Pass subscriptions. Sony very likely has marketing rights to GTA6 which is huge, and they will have Wolverine as well which can potentially be really huge especially if the MCU gets its shit together and finally introduce the X-Men.

I say 2024 & 2025 will be 'interesting' because I think, partly in light with BTS stuff at Sony that might have required a change in strategy and thus affecting a portion of the pipeline internally, that all three platforms will actually be fairly competitive with each other for a change, when it comes to fighting for market share. I think those two years may be the first time we've seen this since what, 2008? 2009? It's not gonna be exactly like that, just that effective competition between the three will probably come closest to that, over the next two years considering what each side is bringing.

I'm also not saying that one platform's going to be the PS3 equivalent in market performance the next two years, though I guess if we're talking hardware sales, that would likely be Xbox (in terms of struggling to keep pace), simply because Microsoft have self-sabotaged their console with PC Day 1 and now mobile device initiatives making the console increasingly irrelevant. I'd say Xbox and PlayStation at least for that two-year period will probably be 360-equivalents, and the Switch 2 likely between 360 and Wii-equivalent. Again, just in terms of market performance like unit sales, overall revenue, profit, that type of stuff.

It's post-2025 where longer-term outlook and into 10th-generation things get very interesting, though, and I think stuff like these rumors here are part of Sony's way in preparing for that. Even with the internal pivot that could somewhat impact things next year and 2025, they have enough to be very competitive with a Switch 2 and a puffed-up Microsoft who'll be flexing COD off as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Uh...what? No buddy, PlayStation didn't kick SEGA out of the console business. SEGA kicked themselves out with a mix of bad business planning, corporate infighting between branches, unconsolidated accounting, and rushed hardware designs. Also for as much as people say Sony killed SEGA as a platform holder, it's not like the N64 didn't reap the benefits of Saturn's downfall that gen; they ate up all of the Western market share that SEGA had remaining from the Genesis/MegaDrive days that didn't already hop over to PlayStation.

Considering Sega did in fact make an F-Zero for Nintendo right after Dreamcast was retired, I don't see a reality where they have a grudge against Sony 2+ decades later, for falling out as a platform holder when that was mainly SEGA's own mistakes catching up to them. As well, Microsoft themselves aren't completely innocent in this, if we're trying to pin it on other competitors as to SEGA's exit from making consoles. SEGA wanted the OG Xbox to be a literal Dreamcast 2, with Microsoft providing the financial backing. This included having it be BC with Dreamcast games, obviously.

However, Microsoft themselves rejected the proposition. We can speculate as to whether that was the sound business decision to make or not, but the fact is SEGA technically had another chance to commandeer as a platform holder but Microsoft didn't want to collaborate in that way, likely due to seeing the market results of the Dreamcast play out.
Sega of Japan actually considered the Saturn a success, since it beat Nintendo there, going from 3rd place in Japan behind SFC and PCE to 2nd behind PS1. After Dreamcast Sega supported the three then-current platforms equally, with Xbox, PS2 and GCN all receiving unique games from them. A novel, if silly, approach to being a third party, and one that they abandoned relatively quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75 and Diah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nintendo collaboration is on cross over exclusive games with Ubisoft and Sega. They don't contract them to make a sequel to their own IPs. That's totally different.

This exact thing has happened with Nintendo /SEGA

F-Zero_GX%2C_Title_Screen.png

Bonus

320px-Star_Fox_Assault-title.png

• fire
Reactions: Diah and Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Considering SEGA did in fact make an F-Zero for Nintendo right after Dreamcast was retired, I don't see a reality where they have a grudge against Sony 2+ decades later, for falling out as a platform holder when that was mainly SEGA's own mistakes catching up to them. As well, Microsoft themselves aren't completely innocent in this, if we're trying to pin it on other competitors as to SEGA's exit from making consoles. SEGA wanted the OG Xbox to be a literal Dreamcast 2, with Microsoft providing the financial backing. This included having it be BC with Dreamcast games, obviously.

I know, Sega did it itself underperforming against their competition. What I meant was that in the 8 and 16 bit gens with Nintendo and later with PS1+PS2 with Sony where was someone else dominating the market and it was when Sony was killing it with PS2 when Sega decided to step away from making consoles.

After leaving console manufacturing Sega didn't have any bad relationship with Nintendo or Sony. In fact, they built a very good relationship with both. In addition to the arcade games they did for Nintendo, remember all the exclusives they gave to Sony during all these years.

In the arcades Sega did F-Zero AX (arcade version of F-Zero GX, also made by Sega) plus a couple Sonic + Mario Olympic games.

Namco did Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, or GP DX.

Capcom did Luigi Mansion Arcade and a couple Donkey Kong games plus Super Mario Fushigi no Korokoro Party.

Takara also did Pokemon arcade games.

The four Cruis'n arcade games were developed by 2nd party American games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

Perrott

21 Jun 2022
It really isn't any different as the bottom line remains the same: Nintendo regularly contracts third-party publishers to make exclusive games for them based on their IP.
  • Ubisoft made two Mario + Rabbids games for them.
  • Bandai Namco made Pokkén Tournament, helped co-develop the Super Smash Bros. games for 3DS, Wii U and Switch, and was said to initially be developing Metroid Prime 4 at it's Singapur studio before Retro took over the project.
  • Koei Tecmo has not only made several musou games based on Nintendo properties, the Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors series, but also provided the bulk of the development staff for Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Really, I guess you're going to tell me that Smash Ultimate, Smash 4, Wii Sports Club, New Pokemon Snap, and the cancelled version of Metroid Prime 4 are actually Namco IP mashups? Not to mention that the Mario Kart team has been using BN as one of their primary contractors for nearly twenty years now, going back to Mario Kart Arcade and actively continuing with Tour (and probably 9.) As to Sega, its mostly collabs but they've done some Nintendo owned work.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Let's stop with this Xbox fanboy mentality where every criticism is pushed aside and labeled as some doomposting conspiracy theory. Facts mentioned above show that SEGA is more aligned with MS that with Sony these days. And until this rumor is confirmed, that's what the facts show.
That's why I doubt this rumor. Sega has the green dildo fully inserted in their ass. Sarah Bond is holding it and she's not letting go.

MS will use their power to cancel this game or demand multiplatform, if it exists.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
@FatKaz

MS gets Sega's games on GP because Sega sold out and signed a contract with MS to use their Asure tech. As part of that deal, SEGA's games are now on GP, SEGA's games run worse on PS and just recently revealed, that same contract prevents SEGA from creating an exclusive game for PS. Yes, the contract stipulates that ANY Sega game released on PS MUST come to Xbox as well.

That's throwing out decades of an excellent relationship that saw some of Sega's best franchises thrive. Those same franchises are now focused on Xbox, where they either run better or get given out on a sub service.

Hell, Square Enix still has an exclusive on Xbox that has yet to release on PS.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
These are some recent Sega racing games for arcades, the ones they currently sell right now in the western markets:

ATV Slam

Daytona Championship USA (remaster with new stages)

Drone Racing Genesis

Storm Racer G

Storm Rider 2

Jet Blaster

Hot Racers

The new Wipeout better work for PSVR2 or I’ll riot
Sega also makes/publishes VR games for the arcades, in the west they sell these 3 right now:

VR Agent

Rilix Coaster VR

Virtual Rabbids: The Big Rice

MS gets Sega's games on GP because Sega sold out and signed a contract with MS to use their Asure tech. As part of that deal, SEGA's games are now on GP, SEGA's games run worse on PS and just recently revealed, that same contract prevents SEGA from creating an exclusive game for PS. Yes, the contract stipulates that ANY Sega game released on PS MUST come to Xbox as well.
This is not true at all.

Before signing anything with MS, Sega mentioned way before to their investors in their fiscal reports that they wanted to move their focus to a more multiplatform approach and also invest more in game subs.

In the same way they also mentioned that want to invest more in localizations and simultaneous worldwide releases, and to invest on "super games" (AAA GaaS/live service games, or as MS calls them "platforms").

It just means Sega wanted (and needed) to make more revenue.

MS was the only one without Sega exclusives, which means some games/series were exclusive elsewhere now were also coming to PS, or Gamepass. But also meant that PS+ and Nintendo's game sub were going to get more Sega games.

The Sega deal with MS for Azure had nothing to do with console games, it was about servers. It was for a cloud or "fog computing" tech Sega is implementing for Japanese arcades (doesn't mean to use cloud gaming for upcoming arcade games, it's to use their idle arcade cabinets as backup to decentralize computing from the cloud gaming servers of an upcoming Sega cloud gaming platform) and to store their servers for upcoming Sega AAA GaaS in Azure, plus store their gamedev tools and data backups there instead of in AWS or Google Cloud.

It couldn't include anything against Sony exclusives or about GP because the deal wasn't related to games, it was related to servers. It's like saying that Square will stop making Nintendo exclusives or will include games in GP because they bought Windows, Excel or Outlook licenses.

Last edited: