Rumor: Sony leadership feels that Bungie is a failed investment (take with 🧂🧂)

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
Should have them take over factions development with a small Naughty Dog team maintaing control of story content/cannon.

That way that game which by reports was going to be great gets to come out and all that money isn't wasted just because Naughty Dog can't dedicate their entire studio to an ongoing title.

Obviously this will never happen but it would be fantastic if it did.

13 Feb 2023
You can't make expansions for a ten year old game and expect anything more than diminishing returns. They should have made destiny 3 by now.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I think Sony need to walk a fine line

One less than stellar expansion does not define a studio

I do think they would make more sense under PS Studios umbrella and accountable to actual gamers in the business. Reporting up to a bunch of Japanese bankers I assume is not ideal

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I agree.

Too late now unfortunately.

PlayStation top brass wasted their money on Bungie. No way Sony give them more.

Capcom was always out of the equation. Saudi Savvy group has made investments in them.
Square is pretty worthless atm badly mismanaged and is just surviving off of final fantasy. How many games that completely flopped has square release this gen so far? They released more bad games than good. Bungie has released 1 yet but marathon is next year and that game is granted to generate more hype closer to release and be a big hit. The same ppl talking crap about bungie now will be posting high marathon concurrent player count numbers on Twitter to use for console warring. Outside of ff games what does square have atm? Kingdom hearts a franchise they have pay Disney through the add for to use its characters?

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
i'm not saying they will, i'm saying it would be better, back in 2022, to have acquired Square Enix instead of Bungie, or even Capcom, Capcom at the time was like 4B dollars or something
Square Enix is in poor financial shape and have over 4k employees

Xbox has literally been forced third party because their headcount outgrew their platform. Is that what you want for PlayStation?

13 Feb 2023
I think Sony need to walk a fine line

One less than stellar expansion does not define a studio

I do think they would make more sense under PS Studios umbrella and accountable to actual gamers in the business. Reporting up to a bunch of Japanese bankers I assume is not ideal

Destiny 2 peaked with the witch queen every expansion since then has been either short on content for the asking price or underwhelming lightfall was crap very short and priced as a fullgame.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That "Live Services Center of Excellence" our resident AI kept talking about about sure is working!

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
What did I say!

I have been saying it from the start, that Bungie was huge flop buy. But no the Japanese hating bozos told me here, that Live Service games are the future and what Sony needs to invest aggressively for. “Japanese games are for weebs, the mainstream wants only western blockbusters.” 🤡
Love to see it, now sell this trash Bungie. You won’t be missed.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
After this investment do you honestly believe Sony will spend this amount of money on another publisher.

No chance.

Once bitten twice shy.
I think it depends on what the competition is doing, the price, and that companies pipeline. Im sure Bungie painted a much rosier picture than what was really happening. 'Oh yeah we have Destiny 2 DLC, a new IP, reboot of Marathon, Destiny 3 ...please just buy us." I can see back in 2022 how that would be enticing.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What did I say!

I have been saying it from the start, that Bungie was huge flop buy. But no the Japanese hating bozos told me here, that Live Service games are the future and what Sony needs to invest aggressively for. “Japanese games are for weebs, the mainstream wants only western blockbusters.” 🤡
Love to see it, now sell this trash Bungie. You won’t be missed.

Wow Blue Nogbo, I cant beleive that guy is still around. Hes like a super die hard xbot dude. I remember back in 2019 and 2020 him and that Colbert guy were 100 percent all in the PS5 overheating and 9.2 teraflop smear campaign.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Destiny 2 peaked with the witch queen every expansion since then has been either short on content for the asking price or underwhelming lightfall was crap very short and priced as a fullgame.

Lightfall is the only expansion since witch queen as that was only two years ago. Game has same amount of content with its expansion and year as it did with witch queen. That’s not the issue. The delay, its convoluted pricing, and stagnant existing seasonal model is. Even with that said, Destiny outperforms Diablo and is pretty much on par with Overwatch 2 currently … and this is while suffering from its worst engagement since year 1 of Destiny 2.

Lightfall and its year of content feeling like narrative filler is helping grow the pains of stagnation caused by the exhausted seasonal model. I’d argue that the recent PvP efforts are the best thing going for them these last few months and the only thing really earning some player goodwill back.

The course correction is to reinvent the various parts of the game, its gameplay loop, etc… and it has been done 3 to 4x over at this point. And it’s necessary for them to do it again. Or have that delivered in time for Final Shape. The change is coming with it but we don’t know what that will actually land like.

Some of this might be inherent to live service in general. When change is needed the actual change doesn’t come till a year or two after the fact in some cases.

The episodic model for the next two years is a huge change. 4 seasons a year aren’t necessary nor is all these content drops tbh. I’m looking forward to a whole new direction on that end for sure.

Last edited:

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
Bungie is one of the few studios that knows how to support a live service game. But I always felt like the games that they make isn't a good fit for Sony's first party library.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Don't know if I predicted the purchase being bad financially but I always hated Bungie and saw them as a really bad influence for Sony.

Bungie seems to be really toxic in every possible way, even their relationship to publishers seems to have been poor all along.

I was expecting Destiny 3 and Marathon to be PS exclusives, that would have been crazy smart moves, idk what happend.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Puff

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Wow Blue Nogbo, I cant beleive that guy is still around. Hes like a super die hard xbot dude. I remember back in 2019 and 2020 him and that Colbert guy were 100 percent all in the PS5 overheating and 9.2 teraflop smear campaign.
"PS5 is not getting backwards compatibility"
"XSS will actually be more powerful on PS5 because 4TF Full RDNA 2.0 >>> 10TF RDNA 1.5".

I don't know who wrote it first, but back then MS ambassadors were constantly writing similar things.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
idk what happend.
I don't think Bungie knows what Bungie wants. They left MS for freedom. Then committed to Activision. They left Activision for freedom. Then they commited to Sony. But they still want freedom. In reality, Bungie isn't even Bungie of the 1990s. It's by name only. Bungie is being passed around like a red headed stepchild.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
"PS5 is not getting backwards compatibility"
"XSS will actually be more powerful on PS5 because 4TF Full RDNA 2.0 >>> 10TF RDNA 1.5".

I don't know who wrote it first, but back then MS ambassadors were constantly writing similar things.
They always just make shit up because they give Xbox way too much credit and assume that every Xbox decision is optimum and justified. That is why they end up being completely wrong so often.

If MS cared as much about making good games as they care about PR and perception they would actually be somewhat competitive. It pretty obvious that when they designed the Series X console they were more concerned with spec sheet numbers than actual real world performance and easy of manufacture.