[RUMOUR] Codenamed Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don't believe this for a second.
Sony is not going to put their teams to support 3 different hardware.

You're probably right...especially when distribution is still so difficult.

I guess they will focus on PS5, whether new or old models and trying to get some momentum behind PSVR2.

Reactions: Angie

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Imagine the branding and font of PSP 2, cloud streaming and storage, can access all your ps5 and 4 games but runs at like 1080p, probably would need a ps5 to run off though. Retails at 149.99? Think that could be a hit?

Sony also trying to get back into the hand held market, and cloud market could be their alibi for larger acquisitions if the so chose as well. "We only have x amount of the low end hand held market and microsoft already has an unfair advantage in cloud gaming."
You're describing a 500 dollar+ device (or 400 but streaming costs extra) and pricing it at 150. What a pipedream.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Watch out the rumour originated from Tom Henderson. Tom Henderson is a reputable figure and is known for his impressive track record for PlayStation news.

Important note: He is clearly saying it’s not an April’s fools. Beside that he mentioned in his video, that it’s not about the PS5 Slim or Pro.

A handheld is not out of the reach. Maybe it will pursue an approach like Steam Deck has. Fully compatible to PS4 and PS5 but with lower resolution, frame-rate, level of detail et.

Tom's rumor didn't say anything about it being portable, and could easily be a PS5 slim, which is almost certainly going to come eventually.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
People keep thinking "new Sony handheld" means a Vita 2 aka something with its own dedicated library of games. That's not what this is. If Sony are making a handheld this is what I think they'd do:

1: RDNA 2 or 3 GPU with at least base PS4 TF performance

2: 6nm process

3: 8 GB HBM2 for " gaming" model (HAS to provide PS4 memory bandwidth with small physical footprint and low power usage; HBM2 is only option for this).

4: 12 GB (8 GB HBM2, 4 GB LPDDR5) for "phone" model.

5: 512 GB embedded Flash storage for "gaming" model; 1 TB for "phone" model. Both can use additional external storage.

The main purpose of this device would be to serve as a 100% native portable PS4. Every single PS4 game, runs with no issue and gains portability as a result. However, since it shares GPU & CPU architecture with PS5, it can essentially just straight up leverage PS5 APIs and dev environment.

That opens up many possibilities for smaller devs and games that may still want to target the PS4 install base, but have the luxury of their software being easily available to PS5 owners and PS4 owners, in addition to owners of the handheld. This would be especially appealing to Japanese and indie devs who want a mainstream portable with more power than a Switch (and possibly Switch 2) to target, with common API tools and the brand strength of PlayStation, as well as knowing their games can be played on this handheld, PS4 & PS5 consoles.

There should be two versions, both with the same baseline specs (CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth, storage type), but otherwise customized to the "lower" end dedicated portable gaming market, and the other targeted at the "higher" end smartphone market.

This would affect certain design choices. For example, the "phone" model would need to dual-boot into PS OS and Android; the "gaming" model would only need PS OS. The "gaming" model would not need a high-quality 16 megapixel front and rear camera setup, whereas the "phone" model definitely needs that sort of thing. The "phone" model would need SIM card support, whereas the "gaming model does not.

In the same way, the " gaming" model needs expected physical button and trigger inputs by default built into its shell, probably as a modular fit-to-form design. The " phone" model doesn't need this by default; instead one could just purchase that type of controller component separately.

I think the only real complication in this could be in the event where a company like Sony wants to make a smaller mobile game say based on a classic PS IP, then make that game available on the PS devices, because they'd need to make two versions. Well, maybe. I think they could in fact just need to make one but build two different executables, and optimize them.
It being a phone just complicates things for no good reason. What is the point of draining the battery of your phone to play games?

Make it as big as it needs to be and focus on being a dedicated device for games/media consumption with an OLED screen.

Native PS1/PS2/PSP/PSV/PS4 and PS3/PS5 streaming. Specific games can get a native port when it makes sense.

This would increase the appeal of PS+, give PlayStation players access to their games on the go and offer a new way for people to enter the PlayStation ecosystem. It's the smart way for Sony to compete more directly with the Switch/Deck without creating another Vita situation.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Tom's rumor didn't say anything about it being portable, and could easily be a PS5 slim, which is almost certainly going to come eventually.
He said in his video that he is not referring to a PS5 Slim or Pro.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think the rumour could be legit and a surprise. It doesn’t need to be expensive. Maybe something like 350.00 up to 400.00 (€/$/£).
I wouldn’t be surprised if it would be something like Steam Deck. BC to PS4 an PS5 but with lower specs.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Watch out the rumour originated from Tom Henderson. Tom Henderson is a reputable figure and is known for his impressive track record for PlayStation news.

Important note: He is clearly saying it’s not an April’s fools. Beside that he mentioned in his video, that it’s not about the PS5 Slim or Pro.

A handheld is not out of the reach. Maybe it will pursue an approach like Steam Deck has. Fully compatible to PS4 and PS5 but with lower resolution, frame-rate, level of detail et.

Tom Henderson and reputable doesn’t fit the same phase…
I will take it as another of his made up stories.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If it would have been someone like Grubb I would agree. But this Tom Henderson, his track record on PlayStation rumours is incredibly positive.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
How small can you shrink a ps4
steam deck is able to run PS4 games at 720p 30 hz with decent battery life, but its huge

sony would be able to make a handheld that can do the same

but if they want it to be smaller, like switch sized, it will not have good battery life

and to sell it for like $400 they'd probably have to take a loss

• Informative
D

Deleted member 417

Smaller than a Steam Deck if needed.

The Deck is around the same ballpark a PS4 portable would need to be. Memory would probably be the biggest challenge at this point but nothing impossible.

steam deck is able to run PS4 games at 720p 30 hz with decent battery life, but its huge

sony would be able to make a handheld that can do the same

but if they want it to be smaller, like switch sized, it will not have good battery life

and to sell it for like $400 they'd probably have to take a loss
Then I don't believe that this is a portable gaming system, but a portable VR headset.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero
24 Jun 2022
It being a phone just complicates things for no good reason. What is the point of draining the battery of your phone to play games?

Make it as big as it needs to be and focus on being a dedicated device for games/media consumption with an OLED screen.

Native PS1/PS2/PSP/PSV/PS4 and PS3/PS5 streaming. Specific games can get a native port when it makes sense.

This would increase the appeal of PS+, give PlayStation players access to their games on the go and offer a new way for people to enter the PlayStation ecosystem. It's the smart way for Sony to compete more directly with the Switch/Deck without creating another Vita situation.

The part about the phone is just my way of seeing how Sony could justify the handheld. For one, the phone and the handheld share all the same base specs, just that the phone may have a bit more RAM (for extended background tasks when running Android), and a doubling of internal storage. Otherwise the performance of both models is the same in terms of games.

Playing native PS3 games on the phone model is just an option, but they can get around the battery and throttling issue by building extended cooling and a charging component into a fit-to-form controller option that replicates physical inputs. The "gaming" version of the device would already have this built-in, but you can make it modular and sell it as an accessory for the "phone" version for a certain price.

Really, this is about providing the option, but Sony can provide pricing on the "phone" version for profit margins the "gaming" version may not allow. They can also establish deals with mobile carriers for the phone, and in both cases those can effectively subsidize a friendlier MSRP foe the gaming handheld.

Though I don't think Sony makes a handheld version sell for any less than $349, at least if they can re-use that same design for a phone variant, that could present a path where they can provide a handheld for $299, or maybe even $249, as a lower priced SKU that may, say, have a lower resolution screen or smaller amount of internal storage.

BTW everything you mention about native PS1/2/4/PSP/Vita support and streaming PS5/PS3, I am on board with. I am hoping that maybe they can make some version of the rumored detachable disc drive, that can enable native PS3 support. That type of drive would probably go for $149 though, and still require the host processing hardware.

However, if they can do that, maybe this handheld could be compatible and you get some form of native PS3 support running on the handheld as well.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
The part about the phone is just my way of seeing how Sony could justify the handheld. For one, the phone and the handheld share all the same base specs, just that the phone may have a bit more RAM (for extended background tasks when running Android), and a doubling of internal storage. Otherwise the performance of both models is the same in terms of games.

Playing native PS3 games on the phone model is just an option, but they can get around the battery and throttling issue by building extended cooling and a charging component into a fit-to-form controller option that replicates physical inputs. The "gaming" version of the device would already have this built-in, but you can make it modular and sell it as an accessory for the "phone" version for a certain price.

Really, this is about providing the option, but Sony can provide pricing on the "phone" version for profit margins the "gaming" version may not allow. They can also establish deals with mobile carriers for the phone, and in both cases those can effectively subsidize a friendlier MSRP foe the gaming handheld.

Though I don't think Sony makes a handheld version sell for any less than $349, at least if they can re-use that same design for a phone variant, that could present a path where they can provide a handheld for $299, or maybe even $249, as a lower priced SKU that may, say, have a lower resolution screen or smaller amount of internal storage.

BTW everything you mention about native PS1/2/4/PSP/Vita support and streaming PS5/PS3, I am on board with. I am hoping that maybe they can make some version of the rumored detachable disc drive, that can enable native PS3 support. That type of drive would probably go for $149 though, and still require the host processing hardware.

However, if they can do that, maybe this handheld could be compatible and you get some form of native PS3 support running on the handheld as well.
PS3 at this point has nothing to do with hardware, they'll either bother with an emulator or won't do anything at all with it.

As for the phone, I don't see the appeal at all, just like a Switch Phone would be the worst phone in the world easily and doesn't make sense.

If Valve can sell the Deck for $399 Sony would be able to beat that price with relative ease. What is impressive about the Deck is how much more challenging it was for Valve to have to solve so many problems at once.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If it would have been someone like Grubb I would agree. But this Tom Henderson, his track record on PlayStation rumours is incredibly positive.
He said a month before GT7 release that GT7 was delayed lol

What he got right? I never saw any of his predictions coming right to be fair.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No portable is going to keep up with the PS5.

A device capable of running regular PS4 games, not PS4 Pro, that should be the target. Devs would still have the option to nativelly port games to it but the PS4 library would provide the main foundation for the platform.

1080p/60hz OLED screen, $350, backwards compatible with PS4 games, ZEN2/RDNA2, SD card storage expansion.
This is a nice wish list you have there, but that sounds like a $600+ system.

However, I think the screen will be 800p or something along those lines. The CPU\GPUs will use similar tech as what is in the PS5... but they will be clocked much lower and the GPU will have a much smaller die along lower clock speeds. As before, games released for it will have patches, PS4 games would just run, but "PS5" games will need some level of adjustment to run on it, but everything would be in place to allow down sized ports.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
He said a month before GT7 release that GT7 was delayed lol

What he got right? I never saw any of his predictions coming right to be fair.
DualSense Edge
Sony Inzone monitors and headsets
multiple PS5 system software feature updates
various game leaks

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
This is a nice wish list you have there, but that sounds like a $600+ system.

However, I think the screen will be 800p or something along those lines. The CPU\GPUs will use similar tech as what is in the PS5... but they will be clocked much lower and the GPU will have a much smaller die along lower clock speeds. As before, games released for it will have patches, PS4 games would just run, but "PS5" games will need some level of adjustment to run on it, but everything would be in place to allow down sized ports.
So my proposed system to run PS4 games is too expensive due to 1080p screen but you want a system that plays PS5 games?

Zen2/RDNA2 is just to make things simple and it's not like Sony would have any other option other than going with something even more advanced. Other than the screen everything else is close to what the $399 Steam Deck had when it hit the market more than a year ago.

1080p screen makes sense due to how many PS4 games are already rendered at 1080p but in the case of eventual native games devs would be free to render the games at lower resolutions. 1080p can't be that much more expensive or consume too much more energy since every phone/tablet in the world are past that.

Last edited: