[RUMOUR] Codenamed Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware

P

peter42O

If they do decide to release a streaming handheld, it will be another hard lesson to learn.... that basically nobody in their audience wants a streaming handheld.

I certainly don't want any streaming from Sony.... home or on the go.

Streaming isn't meant to be the primary option. Just another option you can have access to. In 2023, a handheld of any kind makes zero sense to me due to cell phones. If it's streaming, you don't need hardware and something like a dedicated handheld just makes things worse because now, you have to support two (three if you include PSVR 2) dedicated platforms. It's simply not feasible and a waste of money, time and resources. It's simply not efficient and far better to have everything interconnected and streamlined. Give consumers access to the eco-system they prefer on as many devices as possible. I don't play on PC or use streaming for games but having those options doesn't negate the consoles or the games themselves. If anything, it's going to widen and broaden the reach of getting more consumers into the eco-system.

Reactions: Bryank75
D

Deleted member 417

Could all of this be stemming a miscommunication in regards to a new streaming platform or handheld made by another company?

Nvidia has shield and Go. Could AMD try to compete with them and use Sony/Cerny as consultants to help them build it, and/or be using their games on it?

Cerny helped AMD with RDNA2 when they were creating the PS5. Maybe this is a similar situation?

24 Jun 2022
Could all of this be stemming a miscommunication in regards to a new streaming platform or handheld made by another company?

Nvidia has shield and Go. Could AMD try to compete with them and use Sony/Cerny as consultants to help them build it, and/or be using their games on it?

Cerny helped AMD with RDNA2 when they were creating the PS5. Maybe this is a similar situation?

It's possible, but AMD wouldn't do it unless the profit margins were pretty high.

Which means this would still be way overpriced for what amounts to a cloud-only streaming portable.

D

Deleted member 417

It's possible, but AMD wouldn't do it unless the profit margins were pretty high.

Which means this would still be way overpriced for what amounts to a cloud-only streaming portable.
Doesn't have to be cloud only. The streaming part is just a guess. If anything it would be streaming and local. I can't see Sony doing a streaming only handheld. It seems too bizarre.

Maybe the whole thing is fud and an attempt to build up false hopes for Sonys next conference?

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
cloud-streaming handheld
fridge-dissapointed.gif

OP
OP
Unchained

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
https://insider-gaming.com/playstation-handheld/

Following days of speculation, Insider Gaming can report that there’s a new PlayStation Handheld in development.

Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 – A feature the console giant has been pushing these past couple of weeks.

Sporting adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS, the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.

As for the console’s physical features, early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Would be a huge waste of R&D resources if true, imho. Why should anybody want such a dedicated device, when you can do the same with any smartphone? They even partnered with Backbone recently for Iphones (and it's a mistery to me why not also for Android) regarding Remote Play.

D

Deleted member 417

Eh. Who is this for? Surely it has got to be American and Japanese market because Internet outside of the home is none existent in Europe and UK

Reactions: ksdixon

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Not even an OLED screen come on now.

I'd be lying if i didn't say i'd pick one up if the price is right. I like remote play and prefer not to use my phone.

Reactions: Deleted member 417