[RUMOUR] Codenamed Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Such as?

Everything I listed were his own leaks.
Which one? Pro controller was rumored way before he make the "leak" in June 15.
New Sony PlayStation focused monitors and headset the same (he "leaked" in June 20).

The others two are too generic to look for.

He is talking about PlayStation 5 Pro for years already saying it could not be a PS5 Pro... I mean any monkey can do the same and be right after several years 🤷‍♂️
PlayStation Handheld? Rumors come from a year ago or even before.

I see no difference in what Tom Handrison and Xbox Grub do... well Grub is a Xbox fan so I will give you that :D

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
These things are simple, it needs
  • Local storage so that if the Wi-Fi for Remote Playing home console is our of range, we can still play something on it and it's not a brick.
  • This is why the mobile efforts are crap. They're not going to throw their games en masses onto the Play/iOS stores for downloadability, and remap for touch controls. Remote play/streaming on laptops/phone apps is limited to WiFi/data connection quality. A bespoke PS OS digital portable machine that plays at least PS4 games would solve this issue and can download locally and play offline. Maybe sync PC+ cloud saves when back in WiFi area etc.
  • It needs to not-be some slap ass proprietary memory card format for upgradeable storage. If it has cellular connectivity, it needs to not be bound to a shit/unpopular carrier like Vita was.
  • Have all the needed buttons as if it were a PS pad.
  • Make sure the messaging/voice portion of OS/app can interface with main console social lobbies. Expected behavior, especially if it's a rejigged PS4, with a similar OS to PSNow's reduced PS3 fake OS/menus.
  • Make it a PS4 Portable and don't split the game library. Let it stream PS+ games, remote play PS5 like the app already exists on PS4, or download games locally.
I don't need a PC port of a game if a PS4 one exists, or I'm remote playing the PS5.

I don't need a hugely expensive portable PC stuffed into a Vita-like shell, to run remote play 99% of the time or run the PC port of a game hopefully admirably, should WiFi/data be shit and it becomes an offline brick PC in terms of remote playing PS. Sony would just clean up if they weren't pussy footing around. I mean really what was the VitaTV, and that streaming/fan thing, honestly. Switch, Deck, various low powered android game streaming tablets, or importable portable pc's outpricing themselves for most...

Everyone's trying it except those that arguably should the most.

24 Jun 2022
PS3 at this point has nothing to do with hardware, they'll either bother with an emulator or won't do anything at all with it.

As for the phone, I don't see the appeal at all, just like a Switch Phone would be the worst phone in the world easily and doesn't make sense.

If Valve can sell the Deck for $399 Sony would be able to beat that price with relative ease. What is impressive about the Deck is how much more challenging it was for Valve to have to solve so many problems at once.

The purpose of the phone option is for Sony to

1: Justify enough R&D

2: Minmax SKU builds with the same processing power but tailored in certain functions for specific markets

3: Have lucrative profit margins on the phone model for those buying them upfront

4: Enable strong contract deals with carriers that can act as an almost pseudo All Access type of option for gamers who may want a cheaper entry point (as long as they also want to get a new phone model with a new or preexisting data plan)

5: 3 & 4 enabling potentially lower prices on the gaming handheld version, regardless if there are one or two SKUs there (ex. one $349 SKU and one $249 SKU with same margins as a $399 SKU & $299 SKU, but only because of the higher margins on the phone model)

I understand if a phone model variant isn't personally appealing to you, but it would exist in a way that makes what YOU want a bit more affordable, and with some additional QOL feature you maybe would not get otherwise.

So it would absolutely have a purpose in the product strategy no matter what.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
What a hardcore Xbox fan will do at Super Nintendo World? Destroy everything there?

Joking aside these “rumors” about a new Sony handheld is really weird… Sony released PSVR2 a month ago.
Grubb never struck me as a real xbox fan, he just played into their narratives for clicks and clout

P

peter42O

I can see a cloud based handheld. Makes no sense for Sony to have a dedicated handheld. Their studios are barely if at all working on any PSVR 2 games and yet, they'll work on handheld games? Nah. Not happening. Even the cloud based handheld makes no sense because you already have millions of people with a cell phone and can stream the games on their. Setup a PlayStation app, log in to your PSN account and you're good to play. But whatever. Will be interesting to see if any type of handheld becomes a reality.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I can see a cloud based handheld. Makes no sense for Sony to have a dedicated handheld. Their studios are barely if at all working on any PSVR 2 games and yet, they'll work on handheld games? Nah. Not happening. Even the cloud based handheld makes no sense because you already have millions of people with a cell phone and can stream the games on their. Setup a PlayStation app, log in to your PSN account and you're good to play. But whatever. Will be interesting to see if any type of handheld becomes a reality.

If they do decide to release a streaming handheld, it will be another hard lesson to learn.... that basically nobody in their audience wants a streaming handheld.

I certainly don't want any streaming from Sony.... home or on the go.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
A streaming only portable is the worst product imaginable, only someone who doesn't play on the go would come up with such a terrible concept.

If Sony releases something like this I'll know for sure that they are out of touch and that I should just look at Valve for quality hardware solutions.