Rumour: Microsoft is preparing an offer of $16B for Valve

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fake news, Valve's valuation should be like minimum 5x times that just because of the amount of money that Steam makes and its marketshare of PC gaming revenue.

Consider PC makes more or less the same than all consoles combined, Steam has like 70-80% of the PC market and unlike them Steam doesn't have the costs of having to make consoles and physical games.

To acquire Valve should be way more expensive than to acquire ABK. Won't happen, specially when MS is cutting costs in their gaming division and recently had issues with regulators.

On top of that Gabe said he doesn't want to sell and specifically already said no to MS in the past. And well, he built Valve to escape from MS.

Is it possible that as seen in the court documents MS did in the past is testing the waters again for potential future acquisitions? Sure, MS said they'll continue acquiring. But I assume after some time, once they complete the integration and restructuring after the many acquisitions they did in recent years. As an example, seeing Hellblade 2 debut in Steam they may be the next ones to populate MS's graveyad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
LOL at that source, and also acquisitions never leak.

Lock this bitch up.
Valve is not on stock exchange, it's a private owned company. Who knows maybe Microsoft was delusional enough to think, this small offer would be sufficient.

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
well, good time for sony to delist all their games and launch their fucking launcher that is taking a century to do

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
MS literally has internal documents showing high interests in purchasing valve

Is it from the FTC case leak? I missed this info. MS buying Valve would be catastrophic for the industry but would be an infinitely source of entertainment and fun.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah that's def not gonna happen and no way they could be bought for that price

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have no doubt that they would love to but they have a huge amount to sort out with the previous acquisitions.

Can't imagine they would do it any time soon but I would find it very funny if they did.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Its very hard to evaluate the market cap of a private company especially one like valve that has many dormant legendary IP's. What value would you put on a Half Life, L4D, CS as IP's this is in addition to having the de facto market leader in pc gaming storefronts. Gabe would be better of doing an IPO and announcing half life 3 simultaneously if he wants money

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Its very hard to evaluate the market cap of a private company especially one like valve that has many dormant legendary IP's. What value would you put on a Half Life, L4D, CS as IP's this is in addition to having the de facto market leader in pc gaming storefronts. Gabe would be better of doing an IPO and announcing half life 3 simultaneously if he wants money
Valve's IPs and hardware are nothing compared to the value of Steam as the heavily dominant PC store.

A store btw larger than the PS, Nintendo and Xbox ones.

Is it from the FTC case leak? I missed this info. MS buying Valve would be catastrophic for the industry but would be an infinitely source of entertainment and fun.
Like any company that intends to make acquisitions, evaluates many companies to see if they could be good potential acquisitions or not, make some contacts to see if they are interested or not, etc.

They had a huge list of companies there, one of these was Valve. Being here doesn't mean they were seriously considering to acquire them or that they consider it possible. They were just bencharking the market to see what possible and potential acquisitions were there.

Years later, only a small portion of the companies listed there were acquired. And many of them weren't by far the best candidates listed there. Meaning, MS got rejected by them because they didn't want to sell or at least to MS.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know