[RUMOUR] PlayStation 5 Pro is aiming for a holiday 2024 release

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Hardware upgrades is not for me.

I will buy PS6 day one but I will never give a shit to werid Pro consoles that will be draged by base console.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'll repeat my comments from somewhere, probably the PS5 Slim rumor thread: Whatever they do, I hope they square/PS4-shape it off. I absolutely detest moving my huge curvy PS5 about and it feels so bush league with the stand.

I heard the launch digital consoles won't be able to use the detachable disk drive? Surely that's incorrect?
Not that I will want one, unless they release a PS1,2,3,4 disk drive somehow and run physical bc through that like a nostalgia gimmick, before they sort the digital backend regarding PS3 downloadable games out... But if it's not usable on current digital only models, it's not a case of just an up-sell accessory, so I get a bit baffled really.

What kinda things would a PS5 pro be able to offer over a launch PS5?

Reactions: Zzero

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
$400 for PS5
$500 for PS5 Pro
then +$100 for disc drive accessory

so yeah probably $600 for a Pro w/ optional UHDBDD

in 2016 there was not a single PS4 title "actually pushing the hardware to its limits"

nobody cared, people bought the PS4 Pro
$100 for the disc drive accessory?! That really would be Apple pricing!

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Hardware upgrades is not for me.

I will buy PS6 day one but I will never give a shit to werid Pro consoles that will be draged by base console.
You didn’t go ps4 pro? That console really elevated things for the Gen. Granted, 4k had to happen, this time resolution update is not a criteria so reasoning a lot less clear.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
noticed all of Sony's games of late have unlocked framerates, 120 hz and vrr

a pro console that has faster clocks and more bandwidth could boost a lot of those games' framerates without even needing patches

might be future proofing already

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
noticed all of Sony's games of late have unlocked framerates, 120 hz and vrr

a pro console that has faster clocks and more bandwidth could boost a lot of those games' framerates without even needing patches

might be future proofing already
Yeah man, I was hoping part of the SDK had provisions for all new games going forward being able to scale up and adjust on more powerful hardware - forward compatibility of sorts.

Having all these PS4 games cock blocked from the ps5 power seems so antiquated. Imagine Arkham Knight or RDR 2 at 60fps....

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Having all these PS4 games cock blocked from the ps5 power seems so antiquated.
a few of Sony's early PS4 games had unlock framerate options (killzone shadowfall, knack)
and so they got boosted by the PS4 Pro and PS5 for free automatically, no patches

so it does sorta make me wonder if Sony has learned and are planning ahead now

Imagine Arkham Knight or RDR 2 at 60fps....
yeah I'd pay $70 for a RDR2 remaster on PS5 asap

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You didn’t go ps4 pro? That console really elevated things for the Gen. Granted, 4k had to happen, this time resolution update is not a criteria so reasoning a lot less clear.
My launch PS4 did fine until end of gen.
To be fair people had more issues with modes and performance with PS4 Pro than I had with PS4.

BTW PS4 Pro was nowhere a 4k machine well even the new machines are not 4k yet… yes there are some game but most miss that target.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m expecting at least $200 more for the pro unit and that’s with PS5 base model not dropping to $400 anytime soon. So we could be looking at an $800 PS5 Pro.

Day one and pre-ordered and I wouldn’t think twice about it.

The PS5 is already a premium product and has a hype train behind it that may be industry changing. Series S handicaps all of Xbox software for many years as well. Fuck it, go all out and make this thing a supercar.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
thats literally how much it costs right now... 500-400

not to mention a standalone UHDBD player costs more than $100

example Sony UBP X700 is $150 on amazon rn
Yeah but the disc drive itself costs about $20.

The Digital PS5 has been a rare beast produced in low quantities. Perhaps this accessory will also be made in low quantities, but it's a crazy mark-up if that's what it ends up being.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
My launch PS4 did fine until end of gen.
To be fair people had more issues with modes and performance with PS4 Pro than I had with PS4.

BTW PS4 Pro was nowhere a 4k machine well even the new machines are not 4k yet… yes there are some game but most miss that target.
It’s a 4k machine in the sense it could match the native output of the transition to 4k panels at the time. Whichever games render native 4k is a different conversation all together.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Digital PS5 has been a rare beast produced in low quantities. Perhaps this accessory will also be made in low quantities, but it's a crazy mark-up if that's what it ends up being.
I think they are increasing the number of PS5 DE shipped.
At least looking at Japan sales reports.

I have a DE and sold a normal one so I won't complain about that :D

With supply normalized I believe Sony will have a lot more sales with more DEs than normal ones due the $100 difference.
When they had production issues it makes sense in terms of business to sell only the expernsive one... it is not with supply that the DE is really set to increase PS5 sales without a drastic price cut.

I believe Sony will start to move to more DE shipment without a real price cut.

PS. That is the reason I don't even see a Pro model in the next two or three years.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I think they are increasing the number of PS5 DE shipped.
At least looking at Japan sales reports.

I have a DE and sold a normal one so I won't complain about that :D

With supply normalized I believe Sony will have a lot more sales with more DEs than normal ones due the $100 difference.
When they had production issues it makes sense in terms of business to sell only the expernsive one... it is not with supply that the DE is really set to increase PS5 sales without a drastic price cut.

I believe Sony will start to move to more DE shipment without a real price cut.

PS. That is the reason I don't even see a Pro model in the next two or three years.
Interesting.

I think a Pro machine will come out next year as there is enough demand for it, but of course I expect the regular PS5 to make up the majority of sales going forward, same as last time.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
$400 for PS5
$500 for PS5 Pro
then +$100 for disc drive accessory

so yeah probably $600 for a Pro w/ optional UHDBDD

in 2016 there was not a single PS4 title "actually pushing the hardware to its limits"

nobody cared, people bought the PS4 Pro

I have a feeling the PS5 Slim is gonna be cheaper than $399. Unless its the first time a slim model isn’t cheaper than the previous model. Im gonna compare it to the PS5 Digital.

PS5 Pro $499 though, I agree

17 Jun 2023
For me personally… In 2024, I will be totally ready for a Pro PS5 SKU. Hopefully it should be capable of running most games at 60fps.

There are a few games released that only run at 30fps (Gotham Knights). So with the PS5 Pro, it shouldn’t be anymore limitation’s to run a game at a steady 60fps.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I have a feeling the PS5 Slim is gonna be cheaper than $399. Unless its the first time a slim model isn’t cheaper than the previous model. Im gonna compare it to the PS5 Digital.
No way in hell, maybe Sony 2000-era will price it lower than $399, but we're talking about new Sony here, who like profitability first. My prediction: 95%: PS5 Slim still $499, 5%: $399.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
This is the same Jeff Grubb that pinned the Prime remaster for a November '22 release, correct? I'll be taking this one with a big pinch of salt.