Rumour: Sony will hold a pretty big State of Play next week

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Those alleged claims of classic Sony IP being outsourced to Sega and Bandai Namco if they are true I would assume will show up here.
If there is a shot at a new WipeOut it would be announced at this anniversary.

Ghost 2 reveal/teaser would make sense for TGS but they probably would save that for Geoff's 10th anniversary as a closer (unless he got GTA6 there for it with the Pro marketing) if they reveal it this year. They should have a new blockbuster reveal IMO to boost the Pro.
That's also an ''issue'' big Japanese publishers will have a presence but will they keep reveals for Game Awards, stuff like; RE9, DQ12 and P6 (depending if they locked it pre 2020)

Show probably be closer to TGS or at the start of it since we still awaiting the Pro reveal/Cerny talk. My expectations are the known stuff, focus on DS2 and a surprise remake.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
CjUowmj.png

Edit

I hope so man... I need something new and exciting this year from Sony besides some of the good games released this year so far.

Reactions: Puff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Those alleged claims of classic Sony IP being outsourced to Sega and Bandai Namco if they are true I would assume will show up here.
If there is a shot at a new WipeOut it would be announced at this anniversary.

Ghost 2 reveal/teaser would make sense for TGS but they probably would save that for Geoff's 10th anniversary as a closer (unless he got GTA6 there for it with the Pro marketing) if they reveal it this year. They should have a new blockbuster reveal IMO to boost the Pro.
That's also an ''issue'' big Japanese publishers will have a presence but will they keep reveals for Game Awards, stuff like; RE9, DQ12 and P6 (depending if they locked it pre 2020)

Show probably be closer to TGS or at the start of it since we still awaiting the Pro reveal/Cerny talk. My expectations are the known stuff, focus on DS2 and a surprise remake.
I think Ghost 2, RE9, P6 and maybe DQ12 won't be announced this year at any event.

I'd love to see Wipeout back, and I'd be cool to see one made by Sega but it would be rare seeing Sega developing a racing game for Sony first because it would be rare to see Sega developing a Sony IP for a Sony published game and not their own (same goes for Bandai Namco), and second because the few new racing games they published in the last decade or two were outsourced to Sumo Digital and Sony could outsource it to Sumo directly.

I agree that instead of in a TGS state of play that IF there's a new Wipeout coming would make more sense to announce it in a future PS 30th anniversary dedicated State of Play instead of in a TGS State of Play or in the Doritos Awards.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Cory Barlogs new ip at sony santa monica is long overdue he stepped aside from a lead role on god of war to make this new game.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Cory Barlogs new ip at sony santa monica is long overdue he stepped aside from a lead role on god of war to make this new game.

I really hope they started this before GOW Ragnarok was finished, Sony should of have them started right after GOW 2018 tbh.

Something tells me they didnt start till maybe 2022-2023 after Ragnarok.” From his tweet, “Early things coming together” doesnt sound like its close at all.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
I really hope they started this before GOW Ragnarok was finished, Sony should of have them started right after GOW 2018 tbh.

Something tells me they didnt start till maybe 2022-2023 after Ragnarok.” From his tweet, “Early things coming together” doesnt sound like its close at all.

Santa Monica's new ip? fine, shame I lost interest when I heard it was a space-themed game

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Santa Monica's new ip? fine, shame I lost interest when I heard it was a space-themed game

Im super interested to see what Santa Monica and Naughty Dog can do in a sci fi themed space

24 Jun 2022

Damn if that's the case they won't have any big releases from internal 1P for a good while (that aren't GAAS, and even that looks iffy outside of Marathon). Really makes you wish SIE gave IP like The Order another chance (but I can definitely see why they didn't).

Unless maybe they have two Astro Bot-type games (in terms of being AA) coming next year it's just going to be 2P partnership stuff like Death Stranding 2, ignoring GAAS like Fairgame$ (which better have avoided Concord's problems or it could meet a similar fate). The overzealous GAAS push really did throw things off at SIE regarding traditional titles and that can't be denied anymore.

IMO it's just a question of how effectively & quickly they can rebound; games like Astro Bot are going to help in that regard. But I'm guessing games like Ghosts of Tsushima 2 won't be ready until around 2026, same with Wolverine, so yeah for big non-GAAS releases in 2025 the only locked-in exclusive for PS5 (that we know for sure is coming) is Death Stranding 2.

Maybe some events later this month reveal more, but it could be 50/50.

31 Aug 2024
Sony is going to announce more PC ports at the showcase and most of the people on here will be very upset about it

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
If they announce PC ports it might be something unimpressive like last of us 2, but maybe they surprise me with ports of better games.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Damn if that's the case they won't have any big releases from internal 1P for a good while (that aren't GAAS, and even that looks iffy outside of Marathon). Really makes you wish SIE gave IP like The Order another chance (but I can definitely see why they didn't).

Unless maybe they have two Astro Bot-type games (in terms of being AA) coming next year it's just going to be 2P partnership stuff like Death Stranding 2, ignoring GAAS like Fairgame$ (which better have avoided Concord's problems or it could meet a similar fate). The overzealous GAAS push really did throw things off at SIE regarding traditional titles and that can't be denied anymore.

IMO it's just a question of how effectively & quickly they can rebound; games like Astro Bot are going to help in that regard. But I'm guessing games like Ghosts of Tsushima 2 won't be ready until around 2026, same with Wolverine, so yeah for big non-GAAS releases in 2025 the only locked-in exclusive for PS5 (that we know for sure is coming) is Death Stranding 2.

Maybe some events later this month reveal more, but it could be 50/50.
The question for Death Stranding 2 becomes...will their be PvP in the new version? The first one was "ropes rather than sticks" and I'm pretty sure Kojima said Death Streanding 2 is about sticks rather than ropes. Are we going to get some adversarial PvP elements in it? Oh, I sure hope so.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The question for Death Stranding 2 becomes...will their be PvP in the new version? The first one was "ropes rather than sticks" and I'm pretty sure Kojima said Death Streanding 2 is about sticks rather than ropes. Are we going to get some adversarial PvP elements in it? Oh, I sure hope so.
That would be a misstep. The entire allure of the originals allure was the solemn experience with echos of others existence. Short circuit that and the major part of attraction is ruined.

Reactions: arvfab

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
That would be a misstep. The entire allure of the originals allure was the solemn experience with echos of others existence. Short circuit that and the major part of attraction is ruined.
We'd have to know the inner workings of how players received Death Stranding. You make a pretty big assumption there but it's just a guess.

What we do know is that Sam Bridges says "I traded in my rope for a stick" in the trailer, which could suggest combat is going to be a central theme of the game. That might be a tell of what Kojima Productions learned about the first game. I also think it could be really interesting implementing a soft PvP concept into a mostly single player game. I bet Kojima would come up with something unique in regards to that.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
If Sony just did day and date with their single player exclusives you won’t have PC ports clogging up the showcase
Alternatively, they could and should scrap the PC ports in order to have exclusives at all.
This would also be the most consumer friendly decision, as they would improve the quantity and quality of their games on the hardware they sell.

Last edited: