Rumour: Sony will hold a pretty big State of Play next week

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Alternatively, they could and should scrap the PC ports in order to have exclusives at all.
This would also be the most consumer friendly decision, as they would improve the quantity snd quality of their games on the hardware they sell.
Don't make too much sense, they can't grasp the concept..

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Herman said the reason they do PC ports is to entice PC players to buy a PS5 instead PC players just wait for the games to be ported might as well do day and date and be done with
They won't, you'll bend before they do. But I am sick of hearing it. It's been years of grovelling and begging and it hasn't happened.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
They won't, you'll bend before they do. But I am sick of hearing it. It's been years of grovelling and begging and it hasn't happened.
They will and they can't wait to do it. Mark my words 2026 they're decreasing the delay to one year and by 2028 everything will be day and date.

• haha
Reactions: Umar and Vertigo

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
They will and they can't wait to do it. Mark my words 2026 they're decreasing the delay to one year and by 2028 everything will be day and date.
Ok, give me $50 now and I'll give you $100 in 2028 if that happens. Deal? I'll take a PSN card.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Ok, give me $50 now and I'll give you $100 in 2028 if that happens. Deal? I'll take a PSN card.
It already is happening I know for certain that QA jobs at playstation are going for testing on external platforms including nintendo next hardware which they have got access to now.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I could totally see Sony supporting Nintendo’s next gameboy to some extent. It’ll be a good place for decade old games and to grow brand awareness amongst children.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I could totally see Sony supporting Nintendo’s next gameboy to some extent. It’ll be a good place for decade old games and to grow brand awareness amongst children.
That's a myth fed to the PR department. It's simply chasing short term profits and not thinking about the future. That's how shareholders operate. A parent isn't going to drop $500 on the next PS hardware because their kid played Astro on their cheap Nintendo potato.

And it's funny how this is always a one way street. I don't see any demands for Nintendo or PC games on PS. But Sony definitely needs to port all of theirs.

And they're dumb enough to do it.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Almost every gamer on the planet would prefer to play Nintendo games on an actual home console w/ modern standards.

Calls for Nintendo to go third party have existed forever. Especially during the GameCube era. They quit making home consoles.

I don’t see the harm. Nintendo’s handhelds are a different market. Don’t care. They can have decade old ports — it’s the only thing their hardware can run.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony won't go day and date on original first party single player games on PC unless said games are exclusive to their own PC Launcher.

I could absolutely see Day and Date on PSN on PC, but even then it would require a complete retooling of how Sony actually develops games. Right now they give largely finished products to Nixxes. It's possible in the future that their studios will incorporate PC development into their initial development, but I don't see that happening immediately.

You also have a problem that Nixxes can only do so much. I expect right now their priorities are TLOU2 and Spider-Man 2.

Sony needs to buy Jetpack Interactive who is doing God of War Ragnarok.

San Diego Studio will likely end up doing PC ports at some point, maybe when they switch to Switch 2.

Here are all the major games Sony has to be considering on PC

• Demon's Souls
  • Gran Turismo 7
So they're largely running out of games to port and they'll want to keep Nixxes busy after this year. After Spider-Man 2, their next big project might not be for a while due to the lack of big releases on PS5 from first party studios. Eventually, they'll be doing Wolverine and Venom.

The elephant in the room is Bloodborne, which is kind of a no brainer, but needs to be touched up. Dropping Demon's Souls could be the precursor to that. It's absence on PC doesn't really add up to this point. I expect it to hit PC in 2025.

• haha
Reactions: Umar and arvfab

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That's a myth fed to the PR department. It's simply chasing short term profits and not thinking about the future. That's how shareholders operate. A parent isn't going to drop $500 on the next PS hardware because their kid played Astro on their cheap Nintendo potato.

And it's funny how this is always a one way street. I don't see any demands for Nintendo or PC games on PS. But Sony definitely needs to port all of theirs.

And they're dumb enough to do it.

If the Switch 2 is significantly less successful than the Switch and it very well could be, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up seeing some Nintendo games on PC and potentially even PS5.

Nintendo's major saving grace right now is their lower budgets, but as they ramp up development on Switch 2 titles, there's a very good chance that these games end up taking much longer to develop. That is unless they still make games for Switch and treat Switch 2 as a Pro model and try to get more 3rd party support, but keep their games largely as Switch games.

You're largely confused because you don't realize that Nintendo has significantly different fundamentals as Sony.

Nintendo has not only a 10 year head start on Sony in terms of brand recognition, but Sony didn't get serious when it comes to first party development until around 2005...

God of War came out in 2005 and Uncharted came out in 2007.

But there's also a major difference between these types of games and the games Nintendo makes. Nintendo can recycle its games more easily and they're cheaper and easier to produce and generally still sell better.

Sony is on a knife's edge because their console pushes graphical power and the games push graphical power, but that prices out families and kids, which is where Nintendo is cleaning up.

In order to sustain and grow, Sony needs more revenue. Where does that revenue come from? You and others think they can get there simply by doing more of the same, but it's not true.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Game development is to expensive now to ignore potential revenue streams if they port astro bot to switch 2 with a mario theme it would sell extremely well and make playstation and nintendo a ton of cash.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Well the big announcement is confirmed, maybe we do get a State of Play on the 20th of this month!

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
The State of Play is on September 19th: "Tune in September 19, 2024, for State of Play focusing on indie and third-party games making the most of PS5 Pro. But don’t expect any news on PlayStation Studio titles just yet!"