Senua's Saga: Hellblade II Review & OT "The hardest battles are fought in the mind, not with the sword".

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
I saw quite a few people complain about how a lot of fights are 1vs1, but then some off-screen jobber will tackle you, and you have to wait for the animation to play through - no variation.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I still don't get what the constant pauses are during combat animations, this is horrible.
Because there's no flow to it. All those mocaps they did were just converted into scripted animations that are then summoned by the button presses. The most control you have over the combat is canceling into guard.

It is literally QTEs.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: saltyashell

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
First thing I noticed during combat, it's horrible. How people can say it's fantastic is beyond me, especially after restarting a TLOU2 play through.
I still don't know how people are saying it's good, or even IMPROVED over Hellblade 1's combat. That actually felt like combat.

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
I still don't know how people are saying it's good, or even IMPROVED over Hellblade 1's combat. That actually felt like combat.
I used to joke that Hellblade combat was just a glorified Infinity Blade. HB2 somehow made it's combat even more simplistic and worse than Infinity Blade.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Ninja Theory has taken the mantle from Epic in showing off the best of Unreal Engine 5. With Senua's Saga: Hellblade II on Xbox Series X|S and PC, the team has leveraged Nanite micropolygons, real time global illumination and reflections, movie quality assets, characters and a presentation that is hard to fault. Is this the new benchmark in real time rendering? Our IGN performance review tells all across console and PC.
00:00 Introduction
00:30 The Cinematic Game - A short history
01:48 Unreal Engine 5 Visual Pillars: Materials Lighting & Shadows
04:22: Nanite: The world quality & delivering on the Epic Promise
05:42 Lumen: Real time Global Illumination & Reflections
07:14 MetaHuman: Character models, animation, virtual camera & photorealism
09:04 Sound production, mixing and atmosphere building
11:36 Xbox Series X vs Series S Visual comparison
13:52 Xbox Series X|S Performance testing
15:06 PC Performance scaling, Visual quality,Latency & Vram
18:47 Summary

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What a 🤡. Lol

Did that fucking moron say TLOU2 has shit gameplay? I'll give him the GoW thing because that could be subjective, but TLOU2 having incredible gameplay is not subjective in any way, and it obliterates anything XGS has released ever, not just HBII. In fact, it obliterates most 3rd person action games ever released.

Reactions: arvfab

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Did that fucking moron say TLOU2 has shit gameplay? I'll give him the GoW thing because that could be subjective, but TLOU2 having incredible gameplay is not subjective in any way, and it obliterates anything XGS has released ever, not just HBII. In fact, it obliterates most 3rd person action games ever released.
I am not a Tlou2 fanboy, but the game's combat was superb, a 10/10.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Soon EDGEs review scores will be published. Any predictions? First one was rated 4. My prediction it would be 3 for this one.

Reactions: Sircaw