Several developers have announced that they have been laid off from PlayStation's Visual Arts group.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Among them, former senior level designer Daniel Bellemere wrote: ”Unfortunately, following a wave of layoffs last week was my last at PlayStation. While this is certainly not the news I was hoping for, I’m grateful to have had a chance to work amongst extremely talented colleagues on incredible projects and I’m leaving with good memories of my time there

Bellemere is based in San Diego, and was working on an unannounced project. It’s unclear if he was based at PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group, or Sony San Diego.

The San Diego-based Visual Arts Service Group was founded in 2007 with the goal of growing some of PlayStation’s biggest franchises

Visual Arts Service Group was recently brought to prominence for its work on The Last of Us Part 1, work that reportedly saw the game be brought in-house at the original studio Naughty Dog to finish the project.

Another former employee, Matt Barney, wrote: “Goodbye PlayStation / Sony Interactive Entertainment, it’s been real! 👋 For the past few months, I knew this layoff wave was coming 🌊 I love PlayStation & I always will… I mean, I stayed when I had the chance to leave, so obviously!

Other developers have posted on social media about their contracts with PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group ending, but it’s unclear if this was the natural conclusion of the contract term, or a layoff.

Rigging artist Sean Teo, who worked on The Last of Us Part 1, wrote on his LinkedIn page: “Hey everyone, my contract at PlayStation Visual Arts has unfortunately come to an end. I am currently looking for a new role and I am flexible with working on video games, cinematic films, and commercial work.”

2023 has seen widespread reports of job losses across the games industry, including Cambridge, UK-based Frontier Developments earlier this week.

Zen Studios has become the latest studio owned by Embracer Group to be hit with layoffs.

Embracer announced in May that a major deal had fallen through unexpectedly at the last minute, causing it to slash its earnings forecast. The deal was reportedly a $2 billion partnership with the Saudi government-funded Savvy Games Group.

This led to Embracer announcing in June that it was implementing a “restructuring program” which would involve “the closing of studios and termination of projects”.

Embracer has since made layoffs at companies including Gearbox Publishing, Tomb Raider maker Crystal Dynamics, and Knights of the Old Republic remake studio Beamdog.

It also shut down Saints Row developer Volition in August and is reportedly considering selling Borderlands maker Gearbox, which it acquired in 2021 in a deal worth up to $1.4 billion.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Visual Arts Service Group is a key asset support studio for PlayStation. They better not be shutting them down.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Playstation is truly bleeding so many projects and studios. I predict PS5 sales in 2024 will start showing a lot of YOY declines.l
We already started seeing that decline earlier this year until the fire sales started over the summer.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This is just the beginning of the post Jimbo legacy. He fucked PS real good.
Insomniac just put out their highest rated game in like 20 years under his watch, a purely single player AAA game with no mtx. And we know that was Jimbo because Insomniac was acquired under him. What are you even talking about

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Insomniac just put out their highest rated game in like 20 years under his watch, a purely single player AAA game with no mtx. And we know that was Jimbo because Insomniac was acquired under him. What are you even talking about

This game started development before Jimbo. Every single game released this gen started Dec before him.

But good try.

And insomniac was acquired pretty much during the transition period. It's very likely the deal started being discussed before that incompetent ass.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Nah they wouldn't shut it down. It's just the project they were helping with either got rejected or sent back to the drawing board.
Weren’t they also working on something new independently?

We already started seeing that decline earlier this year until the fire sales started over the summer.

What decline? The sales were to get rid of stock because of the new model was coming in the fall.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
When Michael Mumbauer left and they took TLOUP1 away from VASG, I knew there would be more fallout down the line.

They got a hard time at that studio.

Having a support studio in Cali is expensive and I think they will want to move support studios to cheaper regions of the world as a general rule.